LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FTRA :usefull or not(picture inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010 | 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default FTRA :usefull or not(picture inside)

Since i didnt want to change the way my other thread was going i just decided to make another quick one.

After my lsx lid conversion with a ws6 ram air hood,i ve installed a FTRA.Since the day that i put it in i was thinking about the real benefit from this part...Even if i would never had some minor issue with my fan ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ever-stop.html).

I ll explain.With the ls1 lid setup i gain a lot of filter room and the air would come from the bottom of the car in front of the radiator.The FTRA should ,in fact, increase the air flow by creating a ram effect.

But the opening seems kinda small to me.All the air that could enter all around the opening of the ram air is blocked by the stainless steel contour(see pics).I kinda loose maybe more than 50% of filter surface wich i would think loosing 50% or more incoming air.

Your opinion are welcome would it be better to leave it with the FTRA with the ram air effect or take it off and gain filter\incoming air space and still get a small ram effect from the air damn defelctor on the bottom of the rad.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails FTRA :usefull or not(picture inside)-resize-ftra.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010 | 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I responded to your first thread, so I hope you don't mind hearing my layman's opinion here as well.

I too have an LT1 and have gathered the parts needed to do the lid conversion after reading all the raves about it. The only part I have not gotten is a ram-air. I read about the FTRA, the chrs1313, and others. Like you, I am doubtful of the benefits of the small air passage that they allow, let alone the potential effect on the cooling system. Especially for those who don't want to give up their a/c condensor (like me here in the south).

Personally, I am planning to install the lid but left open at the bottom. I think most of the benefits people are seeing are from the less restrictive air path that the lid provides versus the stock LT1 air path.

I know several LS1 guys have switched to one of these ramairs and said they see gains, but all that I have seen talk about this said they removed the ac condensor, which makes for a lot bigger opening.

I am not saying the ram airs don't work, but I would love to see someone do a side-by-side same-day comparison of this setup at the strip, with and without one of the ram-air kits.

Hey...how about you!!!
Old 06-30-2010 | 03:15 PM
On The Tree

To me it looks like its obstructing the majority of the filter. I would think with it off, it would be better, but i could be wrong.
Old 06-30-2010 | 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dubga
I responded to your first thread, so I hope you don't mind hearing my layman's opinion here as well.

I too have an LT1 and have gathered the parts needed to do the lid conversion after reading all the raves about it. The only part I have not gotten is a ram-air. I read about the FTRA, the chrs1313, and others. Like you, I am doubtful of the benefits of the small air passage that they allow, let alone the potential effect on the cooling system. Especially for those who don't want to give up their a/c condensor (like me here in the south).

Personally, I am planning to install the lid but left open at the bottom. I think most of the benefits people are seeing are from the less restrictive air path that the lid provides versus the stock LT1 air path.

I know several LS1 guys have switched to one of these ramairs and said they see gains, but all that I have seen talk about this said they removed the ac condensor, which makes for a lot bigger opening.

I am not saying the ram airs don't work, but I would love to see someone do a side-by-side same-day comparison of this setup at the strip, with and without one of the ram-air kits.

Hey...how about you!!!
No problem here, you can answer to all my thread if you want All opinion are welcome...Thats why i ask some question.To me no question and no answer are stupid

Originally Posted by mrchyzy16
To me it looks like its obstructing the majority of the filter. I would think with it off, it would be better, but i could be wrong.
I keep telling me the same thing.If the ram air would have been bigger or near the same size of the inlet filter i would be sure of the benefit but now it really obstructing more than 50% of the filter.
Old 06-30-2010 | 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Yea i mean, it looks like its gonna choke the **** out of it. My analogy would be like trying to breath threw a straw. All open filter then its gotta suck air out of that small rectangular hole. Make it all open and it can actually breathe. Thats my .02.
Old 06-30-2010 | 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive got one too thats not installed. Ive mocked it up several times but after looking at it mounted it appears as if it would hurt more than help??

Curious because ppl have seen gains on LS1's with the FTRA/SSRA
Old 06-30-2010 | 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got it on my ls1 and while didnt have it on the dyno i felt a difference for sure. Not a single cooling issue either, been completely happy with it
Old 07-03-2010 | 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt. Anyone else?

I may sell mine for a chrs1313 with AC piece, i think it would provide better gains.

Quick Reply: FTRA :usefull or not(picture inside)