LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FOr you guys who want your Opti's to LIVE...do this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like how people are arguing with Fatboy's personal experience...he got on here, states his own real life experience, and people are riping him apart

seriously, if people aren't welcome to share their own personal experinces on a forum, wtf is the point of a forum anyway?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I thought loctite in general is supposed to be used on metal to metal stuff but if you say its doing the job on plastics, more power to'em. The green type is actually the "wicking" type intended for being applied to nuts and bolts that are already tight. As in, you drip it on the threads and it will find its way in there and then harden up. If you dont have a hardware place around town with the green.. just google it and buy a bottle or two online.
No its not. See you can't make blanket statement like that. They have penetrating loctite in red blue and green, in reality the color means very little. You have to look at the number and the application to know you're getting the right thing...
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loctite 270 I am pretty sure.

And I was taught this way, blue, red, green......these are the order in strength(color)

EDIT

Here ya go, from Loctite...I was taught correct it seems....

A. There are different grades of Loctite® Threadlockers to refer to different strengths. For example, the purple Loctite® Threadlocker is low-strength, blue Loctite® Threadlocker is medium and red Loctite® Threadlocker is high-strength; the green Threadlocker is a special wicking-grade product that allows faster and deeper penetration through the assembled parts.

There is also a red stud and bearing mount along with the green.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
This is what you get when you give good advice on this forum.
So it's good advice to claim an opti spark won't survive if "RED" loc-tite is used? Seriously?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So it's good advice to claim an opti spark won't survive if "RED" loc-tite is used? Seriously?
I'm with this guy.

I've never loc-tited a rotor screw in my life, much less used a red, green, pink, or orange loc-tite, and never have I had a rotor detach on the 3 optisparks I've been through. My current one is spinning to 7k on a daily basis, right out of the AC Delco box.

Sometimes I wonder if taking it all apart, removing the rotor screws, loc-titing them, and reassembling it does more harm than good?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GIZMO
This is what you get when you give good advice on this forum. I have a 15 year old Opti in my Firebird that sees high RPM's on every pass. It hasn't lasted that long because I got lucky!
To clarify, I would suggest that any Opti Spark that sees high RPM use should have Loctite on the rotor screws as insurance. As to the choice of Loctite there are both red and green that will do the job. In low RPM applications I really doubt that you will see a problem if you don't use loctite, but why take the risk when it is such an easy thing to do?

I am sorry if I caused confusion as to what I meant in my earlier post.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
My current one is spinning to 7k on a daily basis, right out of the AC Delco box.
I guess that it is a "luck of the draw" thing. I have seen rotors come off brand new Opti's on Stock Eliminator cars.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a opti iam going to put on my car , is there anyway to seal up the opti before screwing it together? Is there a thread i can read on how to ? thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
No its not. See you can't make blanket statement like that. They have penetrating loctite in red blue and green, in reality the color means very little. You have to look at the number and the application to know you're getting the right thing...
Well, pardon me for putting that out there. I figured starting my comment with "I THOUGHT" sort of identified I wasn't sure of it. And I followed up by saying its great it the product works anyway. AND for your information there is no red wicking product, and no green loctite product that is not a wicking product as far as I know and according to the links I have below. Anyway, I didn't know I had to be a resident expert to comment in here. You folks are arguing over loctite like someone called your mom names. Here's some links to settle this BS:

Different loctite products

And here's a PDF guide to loctite threadlocker/thread sealer products... check pages 4, 5, and 6 :

Threadlocking technical guide.

Last edited by hyperzone; 07-07-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Village Troll

Question- I have a tab on my fan shroud that is broken. Will GREEN make it reLIVE again?

GREEN!

LIVE!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure Mr. Obama will like everyone going green.

Thread from 5 months ago..........someone hit a soft spot?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Village Troll

Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

Lmfao
Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

lol **** now that I've seen the original thread where the whole"green live" thing came from I can see...theres not really any humor in it.
maturity check?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I did no use anything and its it work great. I never saw green loktite, i only use loctite for clutch, head ect
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

lol at this thread..... i never loctited any of my optis and never had a rotor fly off. maybe the newer ones arent made/tightened as well?

blue loctite is for smaller fasteners
red is for the larger ones. use it on smaller fasteners and you MUST use heat to remove them or they will break.
green is wicking.

if the guy used red on his screws and they backed out, he did something wrong.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vtec
lol at this thread..... i never loctited any of my optis and never had a rotor fly off. maybe the newer ones arent made/tightened as well?

blue loctite is for smaller fasteners
red is for the larger ones. use it on smaller fasteners and you MUST use heat to remove them or they will break.
green is wicking.

if the guy used red on his screws and they backed out, he did something wrong.
exactly x1000
Old 01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
I have a opti iam going to put on my car , is there anyway to seal up the opti before screwing it together? Is there a thread i can read on how to ? thanks
yes there is a electronic safe rtv sealant they sell at discount i dont remember the name my friend uses it all the time for his optis we dont talk anymore over a stupid bumper
Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
lol **** now that I've seen the original thread where the whole"green live" thing came from I can see...theres not really any humor in it.
maturity check?
Exactly.

SS RRR is like 40 years old or something like that. Every time he posts I have to remind myself of that.

Fastfatboy posts up HIS real world experiences and what he uses to make HIS optis work and decides to pass along the information and people bash him about it. Lame.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joelster

SS RRR is like 40 years old or something like that. Every time he posts I have to remind myself of that.
Pretty pathetic isn't it?

-Dustin-

Quick Reply: FOr you guys who want your Opti's to LIVE...do this.