LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Needs some encouragement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes they do, but LPP is almost identical and half the price.
If you love your LT1 stick with it. I sold my 97 Lt1 Formula and bought a brand new LS1 Formula back in 2000 and regretted it less than a yr later. Ended up selling it for a Truck and now Im back in a LT1 and couldnt be happier.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
yes they do, but LPP is almost identical and half the price.
If you love your LT1 stick with it. I sold my 97 Lt1 Formula and bought a brand new LS1 Formula back in 2000 and regretted it less than a yr later. Ended up selling it for a Truck and now Im back in a LT1 and couldnt be happier.
Just curious what your regrets were with a LS? You are the first person I have ever heard say this.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I have to lift the motor to install these or will they fit
Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

It was just boring to me. The Lt1 really lit my passion for F-bodies and some how always gave me more of a true muscle car feeling. After putting yrs of sweat, blood, money into the LT1 the LS1 just didnt do it for me. Kinda like a old school guy still likes a SBC, over a LT or LS1 I guess.
Now In most cases LS1s are a few tenths faster than LT1s but thats about it IMO and not always. Hell on a nitto and cat back my junk went 13.3, my LS1 couldnt do that with the same mods.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

It was just boring to me. The Lt1 really lit my passion for F-bodies and some how always gave me more of a true muscle car feeling. After putting yrs of sweat, blood, money into the LT1 the LS1 just didnt do it for me. Kinda like a old school guy still likes a SBC, over a LT or LS1 I guess.
Now In most cases LS1s are a few tenths faster than LT1s but thats about it IMO and not always. Hell on a nitto and cat back my junk went 13.3, my LS1 couldnt do that with the same mods.
Funny, after driving several friends LT and LS based cars they all felt like muscle cars to me...other then my TA feels like a tank with almost zero rattles and vibrations then my past Z28 (which had more rattles and shakes if that's what you consider a muscle car feel) I will take the comfort and the power over my past set up any day. I do wish on the other hand it weighed the same as my Z28. The WS6 IS on the heavy side.

There's a lot more then just speed and power the LS holds over the LT weather you want to admit it or not. But that's a whole different topic. I still got love for them both.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Oh I like them both too just the LT more.
As far as the ride goes it was about the same in both cars since they had the same suspension and I never any mechanical failures on either until I sprayed the **** out of the old LT without a tune on stock plugs. lol The chassis is the exact same so rattles will end up the same over time. My LS1 actually had some nasty piston slap until it warmed up which was pretty annoying.

As far as the muscle car thing goes its the feeling of mashing the gas of a good ol iron block, the sound, and the LT1s low end grunt. I have no hate for LS1s as they are my second favorite cars/engines.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Oh I like them both too just the LT more.
As far as the ride goes it was about the same in both cars since they had the same suspension and I never any mechanical failures on either until I sprayed the **** out of the old LT without a tune on stock plugs. lol The chassis is the exact same so rattles will end up the same over time. My LS1 actually had some nasty piston slap until it warmed up which was pretty annoying.

As far as the muscle car thing goes its the feeling of mashing the gas of a good ol iron block, the sound, and the LT1s low end grunt. I have no hate for LS1s as they are my second favorite cars/engines.
The Iron block is more stout no doubt! The reasoning behind the piston slap is due to the Hypersetic pistons. Normal for the LS base cars. 99% of LSx cars do it. My WS6 does it ever so slightly when I first start it up and then it's gone within a few minutes.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

In the winter it was the worst but only took a few min to go away
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

In the winter it was the worst but only took a few min to go away
I bet. On a side note your car is looking amazing and I give you big props for doing the work yourself. Wish we had more guys like yourself in my neck of the woods.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Ripfirebird, here are a couple links for some headers. You might be able to find them less expensive elsewhere, but at least you have a general idea of what they will run you.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=2&catid=45
http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...d-Accessories/
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks,
I love working on it, just to lazy to make it out to the garage sometimes. lol. Im currently working on how I want to mount the N2o and Nano bottles. I wanted to do both on the tunnel hump but it didnt look right. Now Im thinking bottle on the hump and the Nano on the cross bar of the roll bar.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

To the OP, although LT1s have a few problems, most are easily fixable, in fact, these cars really aren’t that hard to work on so long as you’re patient. For example, everyone told me how hard the plugs were to change, and while it wasn’t as easy as changing the plugs in a I6 Jeep, it’s not impossible to do, same for other parts of the motor.

I had a brand new, fresh off the truck, 1990 Plymouth Laser (Mitsubishi Eclipse) and it was one of the worst I ever bought. For a while, Mitsu had the worst quality of the Japanese car companies. I ended up with three engines and two trannys (or was it two engines, three trannys) and the car was impossible to work on, even more so than the typical front wheel drive car. And although I don’t have evidence to prove it, I bet the parts are going to be a lot harder to find than for an f-body.

How bad is the body? A lot of people judge a car by how it looks before they hear it run. Maybe your parents are looking at the car and giving their opinion based on how it looks.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Launching!

I'll feel ya. I have a car nobody wants to buy and I keep dumping money into it....it's a disease but getting something else won't cure your disease....the only cure is to dump more money into your car like me...haha

Look at the big picture even for a car guy.... you are driving something that YOU like....does anything else really matter?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

you'll bust the head by flowing air through it? lol
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Launching!

he ment bust a head while installing them.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no he meant he was gonna bust you in the head for buying a set of headers to put on your car

if i were you i'd listen to your parents and get an ls1 car for sure.. then dump a bunch of money in it..

Quick Reply: Needs some encouragement.