LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Seriously considering selling this P.O.S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
If you cant work on it yourself you better sell it.
If a man can't work or won't work on his own car then he should not own one. Just sell the car since it seems like it's a money pit for you. Get your money deals in order, pay some of that debt off & go buy a LS1 for $6k with less than 100k miles on it (I've seen them all over Craigslist) and enjoy the better mpg and power until you can buy a new car. I would invest in learning how to work on a car though, it helps ALOT when you can do it yourself & not pay someone to do it for you. Unless of course it's something huge, that's different.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

The car ran great tonight. It was a nice, cool night (cool in comparison to the heat wave we just had) and it felt like it ran very strong. No issues, except that it felt a little looser in the steering, so I don't know what's up with that, but I'll find out soon I'm sure. I think a new set of injectors (I suspect mine are done for), the suspension pieces I just bought and a tune would make it feel like a new car, but screw it. I've had my car for a while and it's never really "wowed" me. Truth be told, I didn't want it to begin with. My stepfather knew I wanted a Trans Am, found what's now my car and kinda talked me into buying it. I wanted a 98+ WS6, but settled for the '95. I still hasn't really grown on me as much as I thought it would, so I'm probably better off finding something different anyhow. I don't really care for the way it looks, it doesn't have the power, braking or handling I'd hoped for and even with some modding, I don't think it will live up to my expectations.

I think I'm going to sell my car, buy something small to drive that's reliable and good on gas, then see where I'm at next year. Maybe a modified C4 or C5. I don't know if I'll stay with an F-body, though LS1's and third gens have always appealed to me. I've read a number of F-body vs. 'Vette write ups, and the general consensus is that it would take a lot to get an F- body to handle like a stock Vette, and even then the ride would be pretty rough to use as a daily driver. I'll likely buy a well- built, well- maintained C4 next year, unless I find something that really impresses me. I want something fuel injected, which handles well, has a manual transmission and has a lot of low- end grunt.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Storms of War
The car ran great tonight. It was a nice, cool night (cool in comparison to the heat wave we just had) and it felt like it ran very strong. No issues, except that it felt a little looser in the steering, so I don't know what's up with that, but I'll find out soon I'm sure. I think a new set of injectors (I suspect mine are done for), the suspension pieces I just bought and a tune would make it feel like a new car, but screw it. I've had my car for a while and it's never really "wowed" me. Truth be told, I didn't want it to begin with. My stepfather knew I wanted a Trans Am, found what's now my car and kinda talked me into buying it. I wanted a 98+ WS6, but settled for the '95. I still hasn't really grown on me as much as I thought it would, so I'm probably better off finding something different anyhow. I don't really care for the way it looks, it doesn't have the power, braking or handling I'd hoped for and even with some modding, I don't think it will live up to my expectations.

I think I'm going to sell my car, buy something small to drive that's reliable and good on gas, then see where I'm at next year. Maybe a modified C4 or C5. I don't know if I'll stay with an F-body, though LS1's and third gens have always appealed to me. I've read a number of F-body vs. 'Vette write ups, and the general consensus is that it would take a lot to get an F- body to handle like a stock Vette, and even then the ride would be pretty rough to use as a daily driver. I'll likely buy a well- built, well- maintained C4 next year, unless I find something that really impresses me. I want something fuel injected, which handles well, has a manual transmission and has a lot of low- end grunt.

Good luck on what you decide to do and you can't go wrong with gas saving. But on the Corvette comment I would like to mention that the IROC-Z 350 can put down some impressive numbers on a skid pad and back in the late 80's it did better than the at the time present Corvette. Again, good luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Launching!

6yrs ? damn im sure that thing is falling apart ... if you can keep the money rollin in keep it, if you cant afford it sell it.. driving a economy car doesnt make you lame, it just makes it easier to save money, hence the words "economy car" good luck to you
Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quote I heard once :
If you wanna play, your gonna pay...
My new LT1 car has been down for a week or so now due to my lack of time and patience with the misfire I've got. I'm not really sweating it since I have my $800 '89 ranger - No AC, no PS, 5-speed manual... ha! Really makes me appreciate the camaro when Its running.

I'd suggest getting a small 4 cyl car or truck that gets good milage and either ditch the LT1 or park it till you have the loot and time to tinker.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Launching!

get your money straightened out first then start looking for another car.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

,What I'm going to be doing is during the winter, I'm going to be parking my bird up at my moms house in her shop, and drive my 99 super duty during the winter. I've had my car for almost 3 months now, and I knew when I bought it it was going to be a maintaince hog, but its only going to be my dd during the summer, and of course I have the said super duty as back up.

As far as selling your car and getting another one, that's up to you, but it sounds like you need to park your car for a while and buy a little beater car/truck that gets good millage, and figure the bugs in your car, or sell it, whatever works for you. Just don't buy a mustang, bout a month ago I beat an 05 style GT auto, and mines all stock.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idformula
,What I'm going to be doing is during the winter, I'm going to be parking my bird up at my moms house in her shop, and drive my 99 super duty during the winter. I've had my car for almost 3 months now, and I knew when I bought it it was going to be a maintaince hog, but its only going to be my dd during the summer, and of course I have the said super duty as back up.

As far as selling your car and getting another one, that's up to you, but it sounds like you need to park your car for a while and buy a little beater car/truck that gets good millage, and figure the bugs in your car, or sell it, whatever works for you. Just don't buy a mustang, bout a month ago I beat an 05 style GT auto, and mines all stock.
After own couple camaro, I end up thinking buy my little brother a mustang gt ( I own a gt before and it not fast, its realiable and using 87 gas hehe ). nothing ever go out on me, like power window, leak top, or rear end or tranny go out. opti spark hehe, anyway I never gonna own another mustang, and keep on driving camaro for life, but i am not recomment a camaro to any one that want realiable economy low maintaint car. and not know how to work on car.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sound just like me when I first bought my 1994 camaro lt1,First my transmission messed up . When I went to pick it up at the trans shop it didn't start so we towed it home and it was the fuel pump,I swapped it out for a walbro ,did full exhaust and intake did a gear swap from 273s to 373s and let me tell you it was worth the wait and im so sure I would have regretted selling it.I get so many looks and stares wherever I go because its rare to see a strong running lt1 camaro and let me tell you it no slow poke
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sell the car and cut your losses. You don't even really care for it anyway, like you mentioned.

Get a cheap, reliable gas saver, and just drive that and suck it up. Pay down your debt, and then get a well taken care of car, but I'll suggest the c5 over the c4.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 AM

I feel the pain, Problems arise with older cars.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering selling this P.O.S.