LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injectors

What would the ideal injector be for a bone stock lt1 with longtubes, deleted cats, 3 inch all the way and a cold air kit? Id like to get some performance out of it too if possible as well as fix my issue. Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock injectors in good working order are more than enough for that application. "Upgrading" to a brand-name 24# injector would be a waste of money. Also, injectors by themselves are a supplemental part - they don't add horsepower by themselves.

What "issue" are you having?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What issue is it that you're having? Stock injectors are more than acceptable for what mods you have. Plus, you'd have to get the car tuned properly for larger injectors, and possibly an FPR.
Before I put a different motor in mine, I had stock injectors...and I had a CAI, MSD ignition, 3 inch borla exhaust.
Unless you have something done that will really more more air through the motor (heads, cam/valvetrain, nitrous, F/I) there is no need to shove more fuel into it.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its only been happening in the heat. The car struggles to start but when started runs fine. Say its the morning and it has sat for a good 8 hours, itll fire right up (even still has the slightest hesitation, but overall fires up fine). However if I ran it awhile, parked it, then came back sayyy, 10 mins later, it doesnt want to start. Heres what happened most recently, I started it and it clunked around at 300 rpm for a couple seconds, then out of nowhere shot right up to 1900 rpm and sat there for about 20-30 seconds. Then went back to normal idle (800-900rpm). And a guy on here said he had the same problem and it turns out his injectors went out. The car has 174xxx miles on it, and I know the engine was changed out, but im not sure of the topend. So I wouldnt be surprised if the injectors walked out on me. New parts are fuel pump, FPR, fuel filter, ICM, and Optispark (GM). This problem just started recently though.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt your injectors quit on you. Typically injectors either work or they don't. A car with bad injectors doesn't run great then not run at all. If you must replace them you don't need anything else but stockers. I'm sure they are a dime a dozen here. As stated unless your internals are upgraded you don't need to upgrade
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a guy on here say he had the exact same issue. And considering there's nothing left to replace fuel wise...
Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any opinions?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are other systems that could affect this. There's a "canister purge" system that is connected to your vent line...it purges excess fuel vapors when they build up. That solenoid could be failing..and you could be experiencing some sort of vapor lock.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont mean to take over but i had a code of "emissions evapertive system incorrect purge flow" and i deleted it to see if it would come back and now it runs like ****, i also wanted to know if 42 pound injectors are too big for a big cam long tubes and heads on 9:1 ompression it had a blower but i sold it off the car and wanted to know before i go get it retuned should i put smaller ones back in or just leave the 42's in?

thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xrambbc
dont mean to take over but i had a code of "emissions evapertive system incorrect purge flow" and i deleted it to see if it would come back and now it runs like ****, i also wanted to know if 42 pound injectors are too big for a big cam long tubes and heads on 9:1 ompression it had a blower but i sold it off the car and wanted to know before i go get it retuned should i put smaller ones back in or just leave the 42's in?

thanks
Yes, you are thread-jacking. Stop doing that.
Sounds like you might be having an issue with the purge flow system, you should fix it instead of deleting the code.
As far as the injectors, as long as it's tuned for them you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could tell you guys this. I went to put gas in it today and after i was done i put the cap back on and started her up. And it fired right up, no problem
Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't really mean anything if you don't know what your problem is
Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could very well be the vapor purge system. Could be why you had the cap off and put it back on and it started up fine...because you released built up vapors.