LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Current Technology and Solid Roller cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Current Technology and Solid Roller cams

Has technology gotten any better over the last couple of years to where somebody doesn't have to adjust the valves every so often with a feeler gauge.

Or is it still required to adjust them every month or so?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the quality of parts you purchase. If you get quality stuff like Jesel shaft mount rockers you will have less maintenance.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Depends on the quality of parts you purchase. If you get quality stuff like Jesel shaft mount rockers you will have less maintenance.
Exactly. You have to have the valvetrain to back up the cam profile. I have a very mild SR that I shift at 7000 to 7200rpm. I have stud mount rockers with no girdle or hydra rev kit. Just had the heads checked and everything is in perfect condition. Springs were tested and are 5lbs less than originally notated in the build 3 years ago. I inspect valvetrain and adjust the rockers every oil change just because I like to know what's going on with the components.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Exactly. You have to have the valvetrain to back up the cam profile. I have a very mild SR that I shift at 7000 to 7200rpm. I have stud mount rockers with no girdle or hydra rev kit. Just had the heads checked and everything is in perfect condition. Springs were tested and are 5lbs less than originally notated in the build 3 years ago. I inspect valvetrain and adjust the rockers every oil change just because I like to know what's going on with the components.
Do you drive your car on the street? If so do you think that you go around 3,000 miles between every valvetrain adjustment?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro
Do you drive your car on the street? If so do you think that you go around 3,000 miles between every valvetrain adjustment?
Absolutely I drive it on the street. The power band is very nice at low rpm thanks to the stroker and probably having smaller ported heads than I should causing higher port velocity at lower RPM. I change the oil faithfully every 3000 miles.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Absolutely I drive it on the street. The power band is very nice at low rpm thanks to the stroker and probably having smaller ported heads than I should causing higher port velocity at lower RPM. I change the oil faithfully every 3000 miles.
Do you think that you get by only checking your valve's only every 3000 miles because you are running a mild cam? or because you have a fancy valve strain setup?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro
Do you think that you get by only checking your valve's only every 3000 miles because you are running a mild cam? or because you have a fancy valve strain setup?
i drive mine all the time on the street with no issues at all........ive got a really agressive solid roller from advanced induction with over 700 lift at the valve. I've got a good valve train with morel HIPPO lifters 3/8 pushrods and jesel shaft rockers... i check the lash every oil change but i havent had to touch it in the last 1000 miles or so and i dont really see the need to either they have not budged....
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

Tony Mamo talked me into a solid roller for my SBC. He said the technology is much better than it use to be. I was looking at using Comp stuff which he suggested.

Quick Reply: Current Technology and Solid Roller cams