LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pretty sure my opti took a dump

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

He's right. Optical sensor --> signal to PCM --> command to coil to discharge.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Also, have you looked at the harness connector between opti and the rest of the harness ("pigtail")?

Don't forget to test the coil again (new ones go out, too) AND have the ICM tested to make sure you're not blowing through coils needlessly due to a faulty ICM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, ill put my foot in my mouth now, can you pass the saqlt and pepper? I just won't say that to him.

Thanks that answered my question
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idformula
So my ignition woes continue, driving along today on my trip, car has been running great, I had the order on the cap messed up, oops, anyway all of a sudden it stops running alongside the freeway, and won't start. No ses light, missing, all of a sudden it quit running. My sis's boyfriend cam and got me, we tested for spark, no spark at the coil, now I think its the icm, but he thinks the opti went out and he also thinks that the opti controls the spark, but who's right here?

Dude, your car pops and sputters at startup? It misses? You drive the thing and all of a sudden it cuts out? Why didn't you listen to the mechanic who told you to change the cap and rotor? Your contacts in the cap are likely worn out. It barely contacts when cold hence the misfires. When it heats up the cap expands and since the rotor is worn the components lose contact resulting in no spark. It is not your ICM.

Chandler has told you the price of his cap and rotor. It's a good unit, I have seen it. Go for it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dynaspark for sale too if you're interested...
Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by idformula
So my ignition woes continue, driving along today on my trip, car has been running great, I had the order on the cap messed up, oops, anyway all of a sudden it stops running alongside the freeway, and won't start. No ses light, missing, all of a sudden it quit running. My sis's boyfriend cam and got me, we tested for spark, no spark at the coil, now I think its the icm, but he thinks the opti went out and he also thinks that the opti controls the spark, but who's right here?
I am willing to bet it's the ICM. Had this happen to me and that's what it was.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

im in the middle of the same dilema on a buddie's 96 lt1 bird,is there a test for the ICM??
Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

It was the icm, it was deadder than a doornail, it failed the first time when I had it tested at autozone.

When it was missing, it turns out I had the firing order messed up somehow, I feel like a moron, but we live and learn. Yesterday when it died I was going down the freeway and it just died all of a sudden. I ment to say that I didn't have the SES light or any missing just dead.
Now its running like a raped ape again, but when I started it up, it had a loud lifter tick, that slowly went away as it warmed up and has not returned.

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
im in the middle of the same dilema on a buddie's 96 lt1 bird,is there a test for the ICM??
Yes there is a test for the icm, take it to autozone, if they tell you they can't test it tell them their a moron, they can.

I've been wanting to do a cap and rotor, but I also want to do the water pump at the same time, I will be able to do it probablly twards the end of this month.

Now my sis's bf, he has a 95 formula also, he was telling me that when an opti gets around 100k, its basically on borrowed time, and that I should just replace it while I'm in there, is there any truth to this? It was my understanding that the main causes for the opti to fail is moisture and the cap and rotor failing.

The only thing that I can maybe think that mine might be on borroed time is that a coupple of months ago, my heater hose sprung a pinhole leak, and was pissin all over the pump, I don't know how long it was doing this, so I don't have an idea as to how much leaked on everything.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Speedy
Dude, your car pops and sputters at startup? It misses? You drive the thing and all of a sudden it cuts out? Why didn't you listen to the mechanic who told you to change the cap and rotor? Your contacts in the cap are likely worn out. It barely contacts when cold hence the misfires. When it heats up the cap expands and since the rotor is worn the components lose contact resulting in no spark. It is not your ICM.

Chandler has told you the price of his cap and rotor. It's a good unit, I have seen it. Go for it.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

I'm having similar problems with my T/A. had a pretty serious stumble below 2k. Now, nothing, no spark whatsoever. First thing I did was check fuses, all good. Took my ICM to autozone, and they ran it thru 5 back-to-back tests, and it passed them all. I'll be following shoebox's guide to test the Opti (its an older ACCEL unit that was on the car when I bought it), and if it's bad, I'll be calling Chandler.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LVZ2881
I'm having similar problems with my T/A. had a pretty serious stumble below 2k. Now, nothing, no spark whatsoever. First thing I did was check fuses, all good. Took my ICM to autozone, and they ran it thru 5 back-to-back tests, and it passed them all. I'll be following shoebox's guide to test the Opti (its an older ACCEL unit that was on the car when I bought it), and if it's bad, I'll be calling Chandler.
Use the link below to purchase. I will admit I'm a tough cookie to get a hold of. We place priority on processing orders and dealing with returns, exchanges and warranties. Whatever time is left I can sometimes take some phone calls and put on my salesman's suit

Quick Reply: pretty sure my opti took a dump