LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

check this out (trans question)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check this out (trans question)

this guy wants 7500 for thisblack 96 camaro.
i was going to buy it as a daily driver but iam worried. he says the paint is fading becasue of age and the scary part "Started the price at $9000 and have lowered to $7500 to move it. The main reason is that 2nd gear now is starting to grind some. Have heard its a minor fix for someone who knows how to work it, and could potentially be fixed thorugh a good fluid flush (this has apparently worked for some others)-- but since it needs this fixed and I'm not in a position to add any money to it, the price was lowered to reflect this fact?"

What does this trans problem sound like? How much to fix?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1z28
this guy wants 7500 for thisblack 96 camaro.
i was going to buy it as a daily driver but iam worried. he says the paint is fading becasue of age and the scary part "Started the price at $9000 and have lowered to $7500 to move it. The main reason is that 2nd gear now is starting to grind some. Have heard its a minor fix for someone who knows how to work it, and could potentially be fixed thorugh a good fluid flush (this has apparently worked for some others)-- but since it needs this fixed and I'm not in a position to add any money to it, the price was lowered to reflect this fact?"

What does this trans problem sound like? How much to fix?

More information on the car is definately needed - PICS, milage, mods, etc... Without any knowledge of the above information that is needed I would have to say now that there is no way in hell I'd pay $9K let alone 7.5K for a car that has a tranny that grinds. Lend us some more info so we can help out.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Launching!

The car is just a straight black camaro with he puts "normal paint fade and wear" the car does only have 48K on it. Zero mods except a set of what look like knock of c5 corvette rims. I was interested because of the low milage, plus i have tons of spare parts laying around from building mine over the years. He also says the clutch is in good condition. I Just dont want to buy the car and have to pay a lot to have a trans fixed
Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

Just from that little bit of info I can tell you that $7500 is WAY too high. Guys crazy.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

My trans started with a slight grind in 2nd then turned in to stripped 2-3 syncro/slider main shaft missisng teeth and a toasted input shaft. Just saying lol I found a used trans for 800 not knowing it was from a 93 with the high ratio and I hate it
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

From your info he is wayyyyy too high and plus there is tranny problems. I'd be very hesitant on believing the milage as the car has faded paint. Usually with milage that low, it's been sitting do to mechanical problems or it's well taken care of and garaged/covered up and should not have any fade in the paint. He needs to come down before you move forward.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Launching!

thanks for your input. ill pass on this one. i just need a daily driver and would love a 6 speed lt man. i want the great power, awesome MPG and a motor that i feel like i know alot about, not to mention its a older motor so i was hoping to find one for under 7K. LT's are sweome i dont care what anyone else says..haha.I guess i will just keep on looking. Thanks guys.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97lt1z28
thanks for your input. ill pass on this one. i just need a daily driver and would love a 6 speed lt man. i want the great power, awesome MPG and a motor that i feel like i know alot about, not to mention its a older motor so i was hoping to find one for under 7K. LT's are sweome i dont care what anyone else says..haha.I guess i will just keep on looking. Thanks guys.
Yeah - I'd deff. pass if you are looking for a DD car. Wouldn't want to have to fork out more $$$ on a tranny once I just shell'd out $7K on the car.