LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My LTX Shootout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Who's brakes do you have? I had the same problem with Aerospace calipers. I changed everything out for Strange (three cars!).
My brakes are stock all the way around. I know i'm losing a little ET with them dragging the way they are. I just don't know of a quick fix to get them to separate. Have you heard of the spring trick before?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
My brakes are stock all the way around. I know i'm losing a little ET with them dragging the way they are. I just don't know of a quick fix to get them to separate. Have you heard of the spring trick before?
I ran stock brakes for several years before the NHRA allowed aftermarket brakes. I never had this problem. Are the rotors true?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had sticking calipers... new calipers fixed the problem. The parts dealer I got em from ended up sending me two DS fronts by mistake, you're welcome to have the extra for 10 bucks plus shipping.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
So you're saying if you pulled a good running stock motor out of an f-body your car would run identical times as it does with the current motor in it?
No way!

Now, do I think that I could make it run as good as the kids stock internals car? Probably! If you read that thread you will see that we changed the lifters, springs, and a few other things like injectors to run the times that we do. The problem that I have found with the LT1's that I buy is that they are usually in poor condition. Lot's of sludge, etc.

I would consider swapping in a motor if you have one.

The thing that you have to understand about the motor in Gump is that it is not a stock motor. It is an LT1 blueprinted to NHRA Stock specs. I have always done my best to give an insite into this stuff on this forum. Who else would publish the photos that I have? This is the first time that this motor has been open since the Shootout last year! It's really hard to put a price on it because I do a lot of my own stuff. Really good machine work is expensive. You could probably get a good Stocker motor from Jeff Warren for $8,500.00. I don't have anywhere near that in this motor!

Sorry that I had to go to IM before replying, but you can see that I have an obvious problem in this section!

Take Care,

Daren
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

What is the physical date for the LTX shootout and did they move the race from Kansas this year?

Sorry for the thread hijack
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96silverram
What is the physical date for the LTX shootout and did they move the race from Kansas this year?

Sorry for the thread hijack
http://www.ltxshootout.com/2010/
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its at Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green, KY. Wish I could make it down there (spectator only, my LT1 is not track worthy at this point), I'm only an hour away, but I've got to work that weekend.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Geez you guys sure give Gizmo a lot of grief!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
No way!

Now, do I think that I could make it run as good as the kids stock internals car? Probably! If you read that thread you will see that we changed the lifters, springs, and a few other things like injectors to run the times that we do. The problem that I have found with the LT1's that I buy is that they are usually in poor condition. Lot's of sludge, etc.

I would consider swapping in a motor if you have one.

The thing that you have to understand about the motor in Gump is that it is not a stock motor. It is an LT1 blueprinted to NHRA Stock specs. I have always done my best to give an insite into this stuff on this forum. Who else would publish the photos that I have? This is the first time that this motor has been open since the Shootout last year! It's really hard to put a price on it because I do a lot of my own stuff. Really good machine work is expensive. You could probably get a good Stocker motor from Jeff Warren for $8,500.00. I don't have anywhere near that in this motor!

Sorry that I had to go to IM before replying, but you can see that I have an obvious problem in this section!

Take Care,

Daren
Any idea how much power all the little stuff adds up to? I always get a laugh at people going with the cheapest shortblocks thinking that a shortblock is a shortblock.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Any idea how much power all the little stuff adds up to? I always get a laugh at people going with the cheapest shortblocks thinking that a shortblock is a shortblock.
Not much.

Seriously guys, if you are wasting time thinking about the engine you're going the wrong way. The car's raceweight, suspension, and amount everything is dialed in is the amazing part!!!

No matter how much duration you give an engines cam it's not making **** for power with stock lift and 210 cfm heads...more then anything its just moving the peak farther up to make use of insane stall and gearing.

Jealousy is a weak emotion.

**edit** Sorry for taking a **** in your thread Gizmo.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

i disagree completely.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i've had sticking calipers... new calipers fixed the problem. The parts dealer I got em from ended up sending me two DS fronts by mistake, you're welcome to have the extra for 10 bucks plus shipping.
The one I replaced was the driver side. I'm not saying that it's locked up or anything, but with the wheels off of the ground if you spin the wheel hard, it will only spin for maybe a few inches then it grinds to a halt. Sounds like a winter project for me, investing a lot into the brakes.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

there's 2 tenths in a "good" hone. there's amost a tenth in that 4 qts of water thin oil. bullshit on the cam and "210 cfm" heads not making power... its worth over 100hp compared to factory parts. im on my phone (no life) otherwise i'd list more "little stuff" that makes power. He said before it makes 40x rwhp and thats probably though a 5500+ converter that is made for a quick 330' not mph up top.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

The kids motor made 295 RWHP and this one made 402 RWHP, so you can see that there is a big difference. In a Stock Eliminator car it's all about the first sixty feet. There is a lot to be gained in the little things and a much of it is hard to notice on a dyno. But, as stated above, if you are looking all in one place you really won't find any magic (just lot's and lot's of experimenting to find out what works).

OK, time to go racing!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
check your brake line..some end up loosing the draging problem once they go to a steal braided line do to the rubber hose collasping..also work yoir cylinder back an forth to make sure its not sticking..check wheel bearings also..if its only a drag car you can use vasaline instead of wheel bearing grease..its a old trick,if read about people just using wd40 also but i dont know about that..
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

i disagree completely.
Exactly. Lots of things can be done to a rotating assembly to reduce parasitic loss and increase power output. Not to mention the little allowed niceties that can be done to the cylinder heads which I'm sure won't be disclosed since they are being sold off as stock heads. I'm still curious as to what the engine cost to build since it's being played down to a mere budget motor.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there's 2 tenths in a "good" hone. there's amost a tenth in that 4 qts of water thin oil. bullshit on the cam and "210 cfm" heads not making power... its worth over 100hp compared to factory parts. im on my phone (no life) otherwise i'd list more "little stuff" that makes power. He said before it makes 40x rwhp and thats probably though a 5500+ converter that is made for a quick 330' not mph up top.
Maybe our definition of "big power" is different.

402rwhp with a massive duration cam is NOT a lot, its the setup that makes it ET like it does. I wouldn't be surprised if the cam had a 270* intake duration and 104LSA. 400rwhp doesn't sound like much now does it? We have cars doing that with 230* cams. You would expect a hell of a lot more power then that to run what it does.

Look at how many low 12/high 11 second 400+rwhp cars there are. Not naming any names.

Putting multiple buslengths on cars with similar power is not impressive?

Give that car a real cam with some lift and big heads like AFRs and viola, we have a new NA record. ****, if he was close by I would lend him my top end just out of curiosity to see what it would pick up after a retune.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Banned

it's funny how we are always coming together last minute for this event

I will be testing tomorrow which makes it my second time to the track all year.

good luck getting the car together and see you soon at the shootout, but just a heads up that I am bringing nothing for you NA this year
Old 08-21-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

the cam is probably 25x/26x on a 105 or so, and it'd probably be bigger/tighter if they had more PTV. put that cam on a stock lonblock lt1 and it'll make 50-60 hp less. how is that NOT something to look at? in one of these effecient cars thats probably 5 tenths!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

lookin good! and love the name
so how much weight did you add to the rear in total?

Quick Reply: My LTX Shootout Thread