LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

School me on rockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
Anyone have a specific link to a set that they bought, or a good set that they'd recommend? All I'm finding are a 500 dollar set, that are steel for an LT1.
www.flatlanderracing.com

Scorpions.

Both my son and I have 96 LT1s and both are running Scorpion RRs, 7/16" stud, full, Non Self-Aligning roller rockers. His are 1.7/1.65 ratio and mine are 1.7/1.7 ratio.

They are very high quality and unlike Pro Mags or Crane Golds, are quiet runnng. $222 a set.

BTW, steel rockers are most desirable in high RPM applications when very high spring pressures are being used; the reason is to minimize deflection. Don't get caught up in a steel Vs aluminum debate. For a streetable engine, aluminum rocker arms have absolutely no draw-back or down side Vs steel.

Jake

Last edited by JAKEJR; 08-22-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

how long have you had those scorpions? I was considering some 1.7 rr for my build.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-1605-16/

Here are the ones I have, you'll need guideplates, hardened pushrods and 7/16ths inch screw in studs to make it all work.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a quick word on Scorpions:

http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/s...?t=1591&page=3
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I'm with this one. No way in hell they'd ever see their way onto one of my engines.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the stock ones last?
Is it worth the expense of an aftermarket full roller?
What are the benefits/disadvantages of a full roller over a solid rocker?

Edit: For what it's worth, I'll be going with at minimum a 226/230 .565/.565 cam, I'll likely go bigger though.
Yes the stock ones will last if you maintain a stock lift.

If you are going to with a large lift you may be forced to use a full roller if the rocker arm stud slot is not large enough.

Below are some comparisons of the two.

The stock LT1 rockers have the standard stamped rocker that is self aligning. Self aligning means that the rocker tip has means of preventing it from slipping off the side of the valve stem.

Now in this picture you see the rocker ball on a stock 95 Corvette LT1 engine, there is substantial wear on this, almost all after market stamped rockers will use these but they will have little grooves cut into them to help oil cool them

This is a stock stamped piece, as you can see it is made from one piece of steel, you can see where the rocker ball sits and causes wear in the rocker arm. Also notice on the rocker tip there is two indention marks, the valve stem sits between these marks. In the rear of the rocker you can see the oiling hole which is not small and not centered as they are trying to aim the oil forward for the springs and rocker ball.

Also notice how small the slot is for the rocker arm to pivot in, with large lift you can end up with the rocker bottoming out against the rocker stud and the weakest link will break, that would be the rocker arm, the stud, the pushrod, or the lifter.

These are 1.6 Comp Cams Steel Pro Magnum rocker arms, they aren't made like this anymore, they have the ultras and some other ones. On this you'll see the roller tip and the roller pivot. Steel rockers are heavier than aluminum rocker arms, but the because of the greater strength of the steel the mass over the valve is not much more than aluminum rocker arms that have to be much beefier over the valve.

On the top right of the first picture is the nut that is used on top of rocker ball to adjust your valve lash and to hold the rocker arm down. This nut has little flat spots so that the threads aren't perfectly round so that there is a lot of friction as you screw it on the the threads of the rocker stud. This added friction helps keep it from rotating and loosening, it seems like it doesn't work, but on stock engines it does fine. The other type is the poly lock, which you turn the outside nut to adjust the lash and then lock it in place with the allen set screw in the middle of the poly lock.

Finally with large lifts the rocker arm tip is making a arc as it travels so the tip moves across the valve stem. With higher lift numbers the tip on a stock stamped rocker arm will move quite a bit on the tip of the valve stem which as stated by someone before causes side loading on the valve stem. With a roller tip the side loading is reduced.

Also before you pick a camshaft deciding what kind of HP/TQ and where you want to make it should be considered. I have a camshaft that has the same lift as your minimum camshaft and makes a bit over 400HP to the rear wheels.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the rockers' defense... looks like someone had NO idea how to set a proper lifter preload
Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Rockstar

I had talked to Lloyd Elliott about a cam, and he suggested going 236/240 (IIRC) with my set up which has a Vig 4000 and 4.10's.

Would I have to respec the cam if I wanted to go with a higher ratio rocker? Or would it even be worth the minimal gain at that size of a cam? I also plan on getting LE2 heads down the road, FWIW.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
in the rockers' defense... looks like someone had NO idea how to set a proper lifter preload
He was using a rhoads lifter, which at idle pumps down and creates more valve lash. Some of those pictures you can see where the rocker arm nose slipped off the valve stem and started chewing up the aluminum body. I bet there is some rubbing in the pushrod holes and on the pushrods themselves. This guy should have used guideplates. Also he is using variable lift rockers and variable lift lifters, not too smart.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had talked to Lloyd Elliott about a cam, and he suggested going 236/240 (IIRC) with my set up which has a Vig 4000 and 4.10's.

Would I have to respec the cam if I wanted to go with a higher ratio rocker? Or would it even be worth the minimal gain at that size of a cam? I also plan on getting LE2 heads down the road, FWIW.
whats the lift? that seems like a lot of duration for stock heads, and no you would not need to respec it
Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
whats the lift? that seems like a lot of duration for stock heads, and no you would not need to respec it
Upper .500's, possibly into the .600 area, it really depends what I finally decide on. This cam is just a part of future mods, so I won't have to spend extra on another cam.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick
The main advantage of the roller rocker is the loss of friction that the ball and socket cause. This is also one of the weak points. The other advantage of the roller rocker is the tip, it is easier on the valvetip than the stamped style rockers. The stamped style rockes also sometimes interfere with larger diameter valvesprings.

The places I have seen the stamped style rockers fail are the pushrod cup and the bowl and socket area.

With that cam and the pring pressures required I would go with the full rollers for peace of mind.
Additionally, roller rockers reduce oil foaming and pull oil temps down.
Comp for steel, Crane for aluminum.
Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
the higher the valve lift the more you need a roller rocker from a side loading and geometry perspective (guide wear!)
Originally Posted by GIZMO
The stock rocker studs are as weak a link as the rockers (maybe worse). A switch to 7/16" studs should be considerred before buying aftermarket rockers. The best option is shaft rockers.
Originally Posted by SS RRR
The best option to **** money away for such a mild application, sure. Shaft mounts shouldn't be in any part of the equation with the above mentioned cam profile.
All very good info above i agree with all of it......your motor is no place for a shaft rocker setup that would be a huge waste of $$$......i ran the crane golds on my old HCI 355 for a couple of years with no issues at all....id reccomend the crane gold race rockers ive neva had an issue with them and ive still got a set on my vette.........as for the cam itself i also have a Advanced Induction 234/242 .595/.595 108+4LSA for sale.....it ran unbelievable in my 355 i trapped 121 all day long with this cam and a set of trick flow heads @ 11.2:1 CR.....PM me if you want!!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

They are what old people sit in when they reminisce about the old days......
Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
......your motor is no place for a shaft rocker setup that would be a huge waste of $$$......
Just for the record, I never said that he needed shaft rockers. I stand by the statement that they are the best option.

The next best option is 7/16" studs. You would be surprised at how much the stock stuff moves around.

To the OP. In regards to buying rockers, cheaper is very rarely better. Buy the best quality that you can afford.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

There have been failures with many companies that make rockers. Comp Cam rockers have failed numerous times for people. I wouldn't single out Scorpion.. FWIW I run them and have had them on for years. Prior to that I ran the Crane gold's (which were also great) but I needed to switch to an NSA rocker and am glad I went with these. They are a very nice piece. Local to me also
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just for the record, I never said that he needed shaft rockers. I stand by the statement that they are the best option.

The next best option is 7/16" studs. You would be surprised at how much the stock stuff moves around.

To the OP. In regards to buying rockers, cheaper is very rarely better. Buy the best quality that you can afford.
oh i absolutly agree.....i wasn't trying to say you were wrong i was agreeing with you
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I stand by the statement that they are the best option.
In this instance, they are not the best option. Not at all. Not in any lifetime. They are a waste of money and complete overkill for a mild application such as the one in this thread.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

the lifter failed first..
Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to Hi-jack this thread but which company makes the rockers that fit under the stock valve covers?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Pretty much all of them. With any 1.6 rocker you'll have to modify the valvecovers, but that is extremely easy to do.

Quick Reply: School me on rockers