LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valve Cover Woes...Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010 | 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qc97z
So you're saying that any perimeter bolt SBC valve covers can fit with alternator grinding? The stock brackets for the alternator still wouldn't fit, IMO. I'm talking about the black round-stock bracket that attaches to a stud on the intake manifold and to the back of the alternator.
EDIT: My bad. I was searching for the wrong proform valve covers. Those look almost identical to the Vette composite covers (in design). Do you have any pics or description on where to clearance the alternator, and how much? Throwing a bunch of metal shavings/dust around a device with vents and big magnets in it doesn't sound very intelligent.
I have a stock 1993 engine with the tall covers that I put on 7-8 years ago. There is a link somewhere that shows whats involved with the alt. It has to be removed to be ground on. You can mask off the alt if you like, but I don't believe it has magnets and if it did the aluminum isn't magnetic anyways. To be on the safe side I just blew mine off with the air compressor.
Old 09-02-2010 | 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I'm taking off my POS cantons tomorrow and I've ofrdered some carbon fiber covers. I wanted to go with LT4 vette covers, but I couldn't find any. The covers I ordered are expensive, but guaranteed to seal, no questions asked. I'm definitely paying for peace of mind here, but they're a bit flashy too. I'll update when I get them in and see if they seal!
Those of you using the fel pro blue rubber/steel gaskets, are you using a sealer like right stuff also? On both sides of the gasket or just the valve cover side?
Old 09-02-2010 | 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I'm taking off my POS cantons tomorrow and I've ofrdered some carbon fiber covers. I wanted to go with LT4 vette covers, but I couldn't find any. The covers I ordered are expensive, but guaranteed to seal, no questions asked. I'm definitely paying for peace of mind here, but they're a bit flashy too. I'll update when I get them in and see if they seal!
Those of you using the fel pro blue rubber/steel gaskets, are you using a sealer like right stuff also? On both sides of the gasket or just the valve cover side?
Old 09-04-2010 | 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see your boosted like me. What kind of crankcase ventilation do you have? I'm sure the valve covers are your problem, but high crankcase pressure can also push the oil out.

My stock valve covers are leaking on me just like your describing. I had to cut out the internal supports to fit 1.6rr so I don't think there is enough clamping force on the seal in my case.

Who makes these carbon fiber covers you bought? I wouldn't mind a pair, but I don't think it will work for me because I need -10AN bungs welded on them. Not sure how you would get a metal bung attached to carbon fiber. I may just get the ebay ones. They seem very solid and wont flex.
Old 09-05-2010 | 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered mine from carbonfibervalvecovers.com. The valve covers are offered through Scooter's Performance, based out of FL. The manufacturer of the valve covers is in California, they finished another production run of the LT1 covers just in time for me to order them!
I just have a breather on the pass. side valve cover for ventilation. Using the stock PCV setup on the intake manifold. Do you think I need a breather for the driver side too?

The carbon fiber valve covers come with an oil fill cap installed, and a grommet for a breather. There are no holes in them for a breather, you have to drill the hole and install the breather yourself. It's no big deal. You just have to use some tape (like blue or green painters tape, the easy release stuff) and start small. You do raise an interesting question about crankcase pressure/ventilation. I think I'll get a second breather and install on the driver's side cover as well.
Anyone have an opinion on that?
Old 09-05-2010 | 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ralls
I wouldn't mind a pair, but I don't think it will work for me because I need -10AN bungs welded on them. Not sure how you would get a metal bung attached to carbon fiber. I may just get the ebay ones. They seem very solid and wont flex.
Since you need -AN fittings and added rigidity, cast aluminum covers would probably be the ticket for you. Sheet metal, including stamped steel (like the stock covers) won't do you justice. Some thicker, stiffer cast aluminum covers would be good for that, and there's more material thickness to weld with. Hope you're a good TIG welder!
It's interesting....very few big-name companies (Moroso, Canton, GMPP, etc.) offer much of anything for LT1 valve covers that will clear the stock alternator location, let alone anything in cast aluminum, yet there's a decent amount of no-name people offering cast aluminum covers on ebay. I've read a few threads about ebay covers. People that have them seem to be OK with them, but there's a lot of cautious "nay-sayers" that would refuse to try them just because they are from ebay and the company that produces them isn't well-known.
Old 09-05-2010 | 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qc97z
Since you need -AN fittings and added rigidity, cast aluminum covers would probably be the ticket for you. Sheet metal, including stamped steel (like the stock covers) won't do you justice. Some thicker, stiffer cast aluminum covers would be good for that, and there's more material thickness to weld with. Hope you're a good TIG welder!
It's interesting....very few big-name companies (Moroso, Canton, GMPP, etc.) offer much of anything for LT1 valve covers that will clear the stock alternator location, let alone anything in cast aluminum, yet there's a decent amount of no-name people offering cast aluminum covers on ebay. I've read a few threads about ebay covers. People that have them seem to be OK with them, but there's a lot of cautious "nay-sayers" that would refuse to try them just because they are from ebay and the company that produces them isn't well-known.
Well actually I already did TIG weld bungs to the stock valve covers. It was a little tricky welding thin sheet metal to a thick bung but I managed. I have a -10AN bung on each cover and hose going to a vented catch can.
About the ebay valve covers... they're valve covers. What's the worst that can happen? Leak? I did have a brand new pair of Canton valve covers but I ended up selling them. The stock ones have been fine except lately they have been leaking like crazy. I'll probably try some good gasket sealer before I buy other valve covers.
Post up those carbon fiber covers when you get em! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Woes...Need Help!