LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Great results!! 10.30's NA 385ci AI HCI Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Couple of things I noticed on there. I'm pretty sure you could EASILY shave a solid .10-.15 with a better location for your air filter. Go to Summit racing and type in Spectre into the find area. Spectre makes TONS of assorted tubes in different diameters and materials to make a homemade ramair setup. The chrome looking 90 degree piece is from them and was $25....

The rubber piece I have between the TB and the mass air meter is from "Fernco" and I got it at LOWES for like $4.50

Below the Specter elbow is a "Y" piece (LOWES) that splits into 2--3" circles. Then I have dryer duct tubing that exits through the foglights. Instead of dryer duct tubing you can use stuff that Spectre makes. The have all sorts of flexible tubing in hard plastic. You can run 2 cone style K+N filters where the foglights were. You can drive around all day long with my car in the summer heat, pop the hood, and put the palm of your hand on my intake elbow, and it is cool to the touch.

Front brakes: I have looked at just about EVERY combination for an LT1 car to shave weight and the best bang for the buck is this one hands down:

http://burkhartchassis.com/id84.html

This is a chromoly spindle/brake package. It uses a 3rd gen brake caliper/rotor design (they are cheaper). The total weight savings for the spindle/brake combo is around 50-55lbs, all unsprung weight. If you wanted bolt in 4th gen style brakes from strange or aerospace using your stock spindles they are around $900-$950, so you see that this spindle/brake kit is a good deal.

Front tires:
I see you run skinnies and most people run a radial type of skinny for street/strip use. If you have some extra cash laying around and ever see a set of 15x3.5" wheels at a swap meet for cheap, grab them! Then get a set of bias-ply MOROSO drag special tires, or DS-2's. Swap to them when you are headed to the track. My Weld Draglites (15x3.5) with a Kumho 165/85r15 (VW Beetle tire) weighed 29lbs each. When i swapped to the bias-ply the tire/wheel weighed 18.5lbs iirc. Basically the bias-ply tire AND the draglite wheel weighed less than the radial tire that I had on the front. It might not sound like much weight but the tires roll easier too.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
Couple of things I noticed on there. I'm pretty sure you could EASILY shave a solid .10-.15 with a better location for your air filter. Go to Summit racing and type in Spectre into the find area. Spectre makes TONS of assorted tubes in different diameters and materials to make a homemade ramair setup. The chrome looking 90 degree piece is from them and was $25....

The rubber piece I have between the TB and the mass air meter is from "Fernco" and I got it at LOWES for like $4.50

Below the Specter elbow is a "Y" piece (LOWES) that splits into 2--3" circles. Then I have dryer duct tubing that exits through the foglights. Instead of dryer duct tubing you can use stuff that Spectre makes. The have all sorts of flexible tubing in hard plastic. You can run 2 cone style K+N filters where the foglights were. You can drive around all day long with my car in the summer heat, pop the hood, and put the palm of your hand on my intake elbow, and it is cool to the touch.

Front brakes: I have looked at just about EVERY combination for an LT1 car to shave weight and the best bang for the buck is this one hands down:

http://burkhartchassis.com/id84.html

This is a chromoly spindle/brake package. It uses a 3rd gen brake caliper/rotor design (they are cheaper). The total weight savings for the spindle/brake combo is around 50-55lbs, all unsprung weight. If you wanted bolt in 4th gen style brakes from strange or aerospace using your stock spindles they are around $900-$950, so you see that this spindle/brake kit is a good deal.

Front tires:
I see you run skinnies and most people run a radial type of skinny for street/strip use. If you have some extra cash laying around and ever see a set of 15x3.5" wheels at a swap meet for cheap, grab them! Then get a set of bias-ply MOROSO drag special tires, or DS-2's. Swap to them when you are headed to the track. My Weld Draglites (15x3.5) with a Kumho 165/85r15 (VW Beetle tire) weighed 29lbs each. When i swapped to the bias-ply the tire/wheel weighed 18.5lbs iirc. Basically the bias-ply tire AND the draglite wheel weighed less than the radial tire that I had on the front. It might not sound like much weight but the tires roll easier too.
I already did all that stuff you have listed lol......the pic you saw on here is the car in its "street" setup........the race setup that filter comes off and i've got an ls1 104mm lid and chrs1313 ram air setup i run.....also i run 15x 3.5's with hooser bias plys up front......and a 15x10 w/ a hoosier 28x10 drag out back.........as for the brakes i found light weight spindles and im gonna go withh the strange aluminum setup......thanks for the suggestions though!!! ....any more im open to them!!............ram air pic below....

Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

hey guys i moved this thread over here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...l#post13945871
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing SCREAMS! Nice man!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who makes that LSx lid you're using, I'd like to try that on my new setup?

Quick Reply: Great results!! 10.30's NA 385ci AI HCI Video Inside