LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help Please, High RPM Ignition on Built 383 LT

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

My MSD opti has performed flawlessly. My stock opti crapped out above 6000rpm, but anything below that it was just fine. It did have a lot of mileage on it though. When we took it apart the bearing had partially disentegrated and there were little particles of it inside of the cap. The rotor could wobble a little bit.

Some guys swear by stock units some steer clear from them. I've never once heard of a perfect opti. I have heard of failures of every unit ever made for us.

That destruction of your rotor was pretty damn sweet, lol.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, alright gregs rob.. I guess we'll see how clueless I am after its back on the dyno. I know it's pulling harder than ever. Also, my tuner has built several 10 sec and faster LT's, and he doesn't even use them to pull timing for big shots of nitrous. He does that in the tune, and say's he has a stack of MSD boxes he's pulled off of cars to make them run better. So you can go to hell!

If they're so sweet, I'll give you this one with a harness for $150 shipped!

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 10-03-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol
Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joelster
Some guys swear by stock units some steer clear from them. I've never once heard of a perfect opti. I have heard of failures of every unit ever made for us.

I have not heard of a Dynaspark shitting the bed once...MSD and GM units, yes.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates? My car had an MSD opti when I got it at 80K miles. I don't know how long it was on before that, but it didn't look that new. It's still going at 87K miles now. It did sputter and skip for a few miles after going through a deep puddle about 4K miles ago, but it was okay after it dried. I'm not saying that AC Delco's aren't good. Or that MSD's are best. Just reporting my good experience with mine so far.

P.S. I have no idea if the installer loctited the screws. One side of me wants to tear it down and loctite them.....another wants to leave well enough alone since it has given no trouble.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The fact it ran rough even just temporarily is proof of an issue in the system.

The opti is a good piece, the biggest problem it has is the thing behind the steering wheel.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Wow, so one bad ignition box makes them all junk? Righttt.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^ nahhhh.......i've been running MSD's boxes for years I had a 6AL and had no issues now I've got a 7-AL2 PLUS and a Pro Power HVC Coil and man I'll tell ya that thing puts out some juice!!! MSD's plug wires are the only thing's I'm not impressed with......
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had an MSD 6A on mine since I bought it 3 years ago, and it ran great. Original GM opti with 79K miles. Of course, it all came out when I did the 24x swap during my build.

What's wrong with MSD plug wires? I've heard nothing but good things and had good experience with MSD. I hope you're not preaching taylor...they're crap.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by qc97z
I had an MSD 6A on mine since I bought it 3 years ago, and it ran great. Original GM opti with 79K miles. Of course, it all came out when I did the 24x swap during my build.

What's wrong with MSD plug wires? I've heard nothing but good things and had good experience with MSD. I hope you're not preaching taylor...they're crap.
nope i dont like them either lol.............heres my experience with MSD's in a heavy duty application.........

With my MSD6AL and Blaster Coil the MSD Superconductors were just fine everything ran great.......then I stepped up to the MSD7AL-2 Plus and HVC Coil and i started having issues. Mainly computer issues, everytime i tried to tune the car my laptop would blue screen of death at 6400rpm on the dot.......every damn time.......and i was having other odd electrical issues in the car with the stock ECM....the XFI was fine.........i tracked it down to an EMI issue with the wires......so i ordered another set of superconductors thinking maybe mine got damaged somehow.........installed em and sure enough same result............i got rid of the brand new set and built up a set of moroso ultra 40's with the sleeving on them.......and bang problem solved.....lap top worked fine and all the other odd issues went away right up to 8krpm+........since that day im skeptical about the design of the superconductor and its ability to suppress EMI and still maintain a solid spark delivery......
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
nope i dont like them either lol.............heres my experience with MSD's in a heavy duty application.........

With my MSD6AL and Blaster Coil the MSD Superconductors were just fine everything ran great.......then I stepped up to the MSD7AL-2 Plus and HVC Coil and i started having issues. Mainly computer issues, everytime i tried to tune the car my laptop would blue screen of death at 6400rpm on the dot.......every damn time.......and i was having other odd electrical issues in the car with the stock ECM....the XFI was fine.........i tracked it down to an EMI issue with the wires......so i ordered another set of superconductors thinking maybe mine got damaged somehow.........installed em and sure enough same result............i got rid of the brand new set and built up a set of moroso ultra 40's with the sleeving on them.......and bang problem solved.....lap top worked fine and all the other odd issues went away right up to 8krpm+........since that day im skeptical about the design of the superconductor and its ability to suppress EMI and still maintain a solid spark delivery......
Very good post, I don't think the MSD wires have any shielding on them and they like to burn really easy. The only way I can still run them is with boots and ohming them out every time I change the plugs. Good thing I'm running a MSD dig 6, opti, coil, and wires.

Here is a quote I had on another forum regarding my MSD opti.

I bought a MSD Opti last summer for my new motor. I converted the timing cover over to a 95. I only ran it 300 miles and it died on the dyno. The 2 screws that held the rotor on never had any lock-tite on them. Here is the what the rotor looked like.

So I bolted up my stock rotor cause the MSD opti's were on national backorder or something dumb like that. I ran this setup till Jan.

The cold weather made the stock rotor brittle and it exploded when I was getting on an on ramp.

After this happened I just went and bought an new MSD cap and rotor kit and threw it on.

The overall construction of the unit is outstanding but I can believe that the rotor came off so easily. Now I lock-tite both the screws. The rotor that came with the MSD opti had longer screws than the stock one. I also have never adjusted the timing on this.

Quick Reply: Help Please, High RPM Ignition on Built 383 LT