LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got a crazy idea let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run a gen 7 setup on my car now. street tuned so far since i havent been able to get to the track. used to have a stock pcm with alot of street and dyno time on it, all self-tuned on e85. So far the DFI is easy to work with, and i like the nitrous features. i was going to put an e85 pro-systems 950 on it, but the cost wasn't much more to keep the fuel injection. Since i street drive my ****, i passed on the carb for gas mileage, driveability, and better cold starts on e85.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so would you not agree that if the car is a: going to be alot more of a strip than street car and b: this set up could easily grow with any combination. Wouldnt now be the time to do the upgrade so that when a major rebuild comes up all these accessories are already in place? i still agree that i do have a mild combination to do the swap on but if im going to grow in to it later why not do it now? i mean the stock pcm and efi is good but it cant be that great as you are no long running right.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

the stock pcm is limited to 7k rpm... that's the only drawback. I just don't understand the point of coilpacks, when a crank trigger is extremely accurate. Right now I'm running the opti with my DFI... But I'm working on a cam sensor setup, and crank trigger that will still use the opti as a distributor. You could just gut the opti, and use the stock coil with a crank trigger... cheap, reliable, and effective. MSD's stock replacement coil is working fine at 7k rpm and 13.5:1 compression on my motor... It'd still look like an lt1 with the opti in place, but the carb would have people scratching their heads, just my take.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

have any links on people running a crank trigger on an lt1? believe me i am very open minded hence wanting to go carb. I wonder if it would be a different story if i had a 16to1 383 with huge heads would every body still think efi would be the way to go? im just trying to use what i got now it may not be ideal but i think it will work well until i decide to build something else.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Launching!

If you want to be original just get a set of le2 heads and a hot cam! Don't forget the ZO6 wheels, and Magnaflo exhaust.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black05stxjt
have any links on people running a crank trigger on an lt1? believe me i am very open minded hence wanting to go carb. I wonder if it would be a different story if i had a 16to1 383 with huge heads would every body still think efi would be the way to go? im just trying to use what i got now it may not be ideal but i think it will work well until i decide to build something else.
This is why this thread is pointless. You are not being open minded at all, you've made up your mind.

A standalone will carry your magical 16:5.1 383 just as far as a carb would and probably more efficiently. XFI, Bigstuff, megasquirt, DFI. There ar a tooooon of options when you start getting radical. But comparing XFI to stock PCM is apples to potatoes.

I have a crank trigger/XFI setup on my car, lots of LTx guys have triggers, dizzy, EFI setups now. The only reason I chose to swap is because '93 PCM's are not flash and I wanted the ability to eclipse 7k one day.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

I find it funny you say im the one not being open minded when all you have done is preach about the stock stuff being good and you your self aren't even running it but you will criticizs me for wanting to do some thing because you don't agree. But hey im sure that 2gs you spent on your aftermarket efi system was worth it. So what are u using a gutted opi as wells? I get on here to attempt to gather information but all i find my self doing is defending my self. So as far as im concerned this thread is done y'all can find somebody else to push yalls one way bull **** on.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:28 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black05stxjt
I find it funny you say im the one not being open minded when all you have done is preach about the stock stuff being good and you your self aren't even running it but you will criticizs me for wanting to do some thing because you don't agree. But hey im sure that 2gs you spent on your aftermarket efi system was worth it. So what are u using a gutted opi as wells? I get on here to attempt to gather information but all i find my self doing is defending my self. So as far as im concerned this thread is done y'all can find somebody else to push yalls one way bull **** on.
Sounds like we are done here.

Quick Reply: Got a crazy idea let me know what you think