LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

where to get nice valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where to get nice valve covers?

Does anyone know where to get a good set of valve covers, just for looks.

the car is stock, i was looking at some from summit but was unsure if they will fit.

here is a pic of the engine bay

let me know if you guys have any idea where to get them, or if some from summit will work, ill try to find the links

Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are cantons the only options for an lt1 or will any center bolt chevy 350 valve cover work?

like these?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-141-131/?rtype=10
Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Cantons are about the only ones I know of that will accept a 1.6 rocker. That's the reason I personally chose them. I really don't like mine. They leak alot and get scuffed up rather easily as I am always adjusting on my valves or working around the intake. Mine look terrible.

Any centerbolt chevy valve cover will fit the LT1 heads. However, they are not notched specifially for an LT1's alternator. The ones you have pictured may fit if they are sloped back enough. I bought some chrome Jegs brand once, that were the taller valve covers, and they definately would not fit. They didn't have a notch for the alternator. But it could have been from them being the taller version.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for mentioning that, i had forgot about the alternator issue. I should of added must fit with stock alt location, and stock rockers
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are several LT1-specific polished aluminum valve covers on eBay that clear both Crane Gold 1.6s, Comp Pro and Ultra Mag 1.6s, among others, and they are half the price of the Canton's. They are notched for the alternator, smooth in design, and can be ordered with any combination of holes for oil breathers, caps, etc. I have used two sets.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

How they "look" is a personal preference thing.

The ones I liked, ProForms licensed by GM, called for me to slightly grind on the alternator for the need clearance.

Functonality is another issue that shouldn't be over-looked. Best to get ones with factory type baffles and breather tubing holes in the correct locations.

BTW, GM licensing makes sure they meet GM specs, for fit and won't leak, are baffled correctly, etc. Probably other things too like thickness of the material, mounting hole placement, etc.

But like I said, for looks it's a personal preference thing.

Jake
Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
are cantons the only options for an lt1 or will any center bolt chevy 350 valve cover work?

like these?
That's what I have, nice quality piece. Minimal grinding on the alt is required.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
That's what I have, nice quality piece. Minimal grinding on the alt is required.
YEP. They're REALLY HIGH QUALITY pieces. They're slightly taller too in order to give any needed valve train clearance.

Jake
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

These are the ones that I want:

http://www.karlperformanceparts.com/...?idproduct=244

With the perimiter to center bolt adapors and grinding the **** outta the alternator, they should fit nicely.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like these?
I loved the look of the covers that you posted the link to. As mentioned, they wont clear the alternator...

However, I wasn't going to let a small detail like that stop me. I had gotten a set of GMPP roller rockers, and wanted to use the ARP 'poly-lock' nuts, which wouldn't fit under the stock valve covers, so I needed a taller cover, and those Proforms were the right height. I took the RH cover into work, set it up on a Bridgeport, and milled back the necessary clearance for the alternator. I then bent a piece of aluminum on a sheet metal brake, and welded it into place on the valve cover.

I installed them, they looked great, and I was golden....for a while. The Proform covers don't have any internal bracing, and over time, it appeared that the heat of the engine caused them to 'sag', and they'd lose tension, then leak oil. I'd snug the bolts, and over time they'd sag some more, and leak. I'd snug, they'd sag....

Long story short, the ARP 'poly locks' came off, the 'normal', short style locks went on, along with the OE covers, after a quick repaint in black crinkle. No more leaks.

Doesn't Moroso have a polished aluminum centerbolt rocker cover with the Camaro/Firebird notch?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how much grinding is needed i dont want to buy the valve covers and have to send them out just to get them to fit right
Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how much grinding is needed i dont want to buy the valve covers and have to send them out just to get them to fit right
The covers are fine. The grinding is done on the back of the alternator, simple to do.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you have two options.... either grind the alternator case, as was just mentioned, or remove a slice out of the valve cover, and weld in a cover, such as I did. IIRC, I needed to take out about a 1/4".

As I mentioned before, however, I don't think the Proform covers have enough structural integrity to last a long time.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...item5883ff94c3

Did you read my post?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Teching In

These are made for LT1s with the cutout for the altenator bracket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT-1-...1142QQtcZphoto
Old 10-01-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a nice set of carbon fiber valve covers...
www.carbonfibervalvecovers.com
They have them for LTX, LSX, BBC, SBC, etc.
They will clear 1.6 valvetrain (I have 1.6 rockers) and will clear stock alternator location.
Unfortunately, I don't have any web-based photo space, and the site won't let me load from my desktop.
Here's my thread from LTXTech about them:

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread......Pics-Inside!

Everything about them is explained in the thread. They can be configured exactly like stock (breather holes, etc)
Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

I have LT4 valve covers, they are black composite, I think they lookk really good and no modifications required. Pics are on my page.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Good luck finding some. And you pay over $200 for them anyway.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Has anyone ever manufactured clear valve covers for the LT1 engines, or atleast SBC clear centerbolt valve covers?

For those using Crane Golds, Scorpions or Harland Sharps, it would be a beautiful sight under the hood of the car.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by qc97z
^ Good luck finding some. And you pay over $200 for them anyway.
Its been 7 or 8 yrs since I bought them, got em used for $150 I think. Anyway, they look pretty good.

Quick Reply: where to get nice valve covers?