LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valvespring ? with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
PAC was making the 918's that broke many years ago but people seem to like to jump on bandwagons around here. Not to mention PAC springs aren't made in america anymore...
Ill jump the damn bandwagon when my motor is at stake . Sorry if that
pisses you off but Comp fucked up and cost ALOT of people their motors .
I was almost one of them
Old 10-11-2010, 04:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PAC springs are most definitely made in america... along with PSI. Its not just where they're made, its the QC and material quality. Pioneer, associated, etc can't match the quality of peterson, sorry
Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Devil's advocate:

How hard do you have to beat a spring of "clearly sufficient/adequate quality" when it's COLD to break it? Assuming lobes with a healthy ramp rate, lift exceeding .545", 1.8" installed height... Comp, PAC, Patriot, whatever springs.

I would hope it would be hard to bust a spring from beating on it when cold. I dont think there is a good answer to this question other than to say dont beat on it when cold.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I avoided the beehive springs because of this problem. I talked to an engineer to get a better idea of why a beehive valve would break and he told me the smaller area of any beehive spring is most likely to break because that's where point of least resistance is. The result is one part of the spring taking most of the wear and prematurely breaking, which is perfectly illustrated in the OP's pics. Speed_demon's pic in this thread is puzzling since it happened halfway down the spring.

Regardless, I avoided the beehives and got the good old Crane style double spring. I would check the valvetrain geometry when reinstalling the springs to see if the pushrods are too long causing the rockers to run off the ends of the valve at higher rpm.

BTW, how many people here have broken double springs on an LT1? Just wondering.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
PAC springs are most definitely made in america... along with PSI. Its not just where they're made, its the QC and material quality. Pioneer, associated, etc can't match the quality of peterson, sorry
Pac isn't made in America anymore last I heard. PSI is the only one left. And most people, me included, are just running a cheap spring which is bound to get a few bad ones put out every now and then.

I still think its funny that a lot of the people on the kill comp bandwagon are running springs made by the same company that makes comp's springs.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Threads like these make me want to change out my springs just due to age/milage/luck. I've had em on my LE2 setup for 7 years/11K miles.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
Threads like these make me want to change out my springs just due to age/milage/luck. I've had em on my LE2 setup for 7 years/11K miles.
On a performance motor and especially at your power levels. I would do it this weekend.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
I cannot believe people are still running the Comp 918's after all the **** thats happened !!! I was one of the lucky unlucky people . I got a batch of the **** Mexican wire Comp 918's and had one break on me but didnt totally collapse . Thank god I didnt lose my motor due to the sheer ******* stupidity of Comp Cams . Go with PAC 1218's or 1518's . The chance of you having trouble with a PAC spring is almost non existent . Its not the cam or anything else than inferior quality of the spring causing them to break . FYI Comp Cams used to go through PAC to make their Beehives but Comp wanted a higher profit for lesser quality . So they outsourced their spring manufacturing to a company in mexico and kept their Valve Spring prices the same . The unsuspecting customer would then buy the junk now considered 1218 Beehives and BOOM they just lost their motor due to ******* GREED from Comp Cams !!! By PAC or Patriot and never look back again . Dont give Comp Cams a third chance by buying their inferior quality springs . Yes I said THIRD . This valve spring **** has happened two different times already from them trying to screw the customer with crap . /rant
Maybe that's why Comp allocated so many pages in their most recent catalog (pages 283, 284 and 285) to their valve spring manufacturing process and procedures. Here's sampling of what Comp wrote:

Comp wrote a lot on the procedures as to how they repeatedly check the wire alloy to be sure it meets their metallurgists' and engineers' chemical composition specifications.

Also, their spring materials are produced at the best steel mills in the world. Their spring material is the best application specific material possible and surpasses the manufacturing requirements set by SAE.

Testing includes:

Repeated tests from the time the alloy is liquid through the time it's offered for sale and beyond and;

Continuing consultation among the best metallurgists and engineerings,

Quality control (both destructive and non-destructive - some @ 10 million cycles at stresses much greater than they'll ever see in an engine)

Testing of every batch,

Scan with an Electron Microscope,

X-Ray Diffraction,

Spintron,

Subjected to Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy,

Processed on the latest CNC equipment,

Stress relieved,

Ground,

Deburred,

Shot-peened, and

Heat set, etc., etc. to insure the quality of their valve springs.

Comp also makes mention of the investment of "enormous resources to bring you the very best valve spring possible."

I figure it's their way of responding to the bad press and failures of their Beehives.

Just the other side of the coin.

Jake
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
I am in the same boat, slightly les HP but more TQ NA.

Years ago when the 918's were the rage, even recommended by the Caprice owner, I put them in replaceing the 987's I had. at the time I 'felt" valve float...which later turned out to be a bad (new) opti. I have left the 918's in but maybe with 5 yrs and 15k miles...??

So today the rave is about PAC springs....maybe 5 years from now "they suck"...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

The Patriots Golds are extremely popular now and I am not aware of a single failure.

Worst I have heard is they tend to provide the wrong size seals with the kits. With my old cam, my 1218's were floating badly but to be fair they had maybe 10K miles on them when I finally figured it out therefore I have no clue how they did when they were new.

Ever since I went Patriot springs, no breakage or float issues. I am just a believer that beehives work best on lighter and thinner LS1 valves.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The Patriots Golds are extremely popular now and I am not aware of a single failure.

Worst I have heard is they tend to provide the wrong size seals with the kits. With my old cam, my 1218's were floating badly but to be fair they had maybe 10K miles on them when I finally figured it out therefore I have no clue how they did when they were new.

Ever since I went Patriot springs, no breakage or float issues. I am just a believer that beehives work best on lighter and thinner LS1 valves.
There's failures out there but I doubt you looked for them. And the same company that makes them makes the comp 918's.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

There's failures out there but I doubt you looked for them.
Negative ghost rider.

I did a search with keyword "Patriot" & "spring" and sorted relevant threads based on the highest post count. If there was a single dedicated topic on Patriot spring failures, it would have stood out and been very obvious. These threads generate tons of responses so finding them ain't that hard.

Closest thread called "Patriot gold springs failing" only referenced possible float but not breakage. Sorry but I dont have the time to go through tens of thousands of replies so I rely on thread titles to back up my claim.

BTW I did the same thing for Keyword "918" only and the results for threads pertaining to busted Comp springs lit up like a Christmas tree.

Better luck next time.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Another negative on that one. They aren't as widespread as the 918 failures but trust me there have been Patriot failures.

PAC was making the 918's that broke many years ago
Bullshit. First problems 918s had was AFTER PAC stopped making them for Comp.

I would consider any spring a high potential for failure when people don't measure coil bind, installed height, or anything else pertaining to valvetrain longevity. There is a bad habit around here of just dropping in the spring and running it. Any spring can fail under a careless installer.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 10-11-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Another negative on that one. They aren't as widespread as the 918 failures but trust me there have been Patriot failures.
Excuse me. I am incorrect in my subjective statement that I am not aware of a Patriot spring failure? Or they are not popular?

You and speed are taking me out of context. I said I am not aware of a single failure. That is different than saying there has never been a single failure.

It is fair to say that every spring under the sun has exhibited a failure to some degree. However if there are dedicated threads to Patriot spring failures even if only a few, please post them casue I want to see them.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I recently purchased a set of dual springs, and in my searchings found several individuals that chimed in saying they personally had Patriot failures. No dedicated Patriot spring failure threads per se. I heard it more then a couple of times. However, I feel that Patriot is the budget friendly spring, and as such I predict at least slightly higher failure rate. One main reason is what I stated in my previous post. The drop in and go syndrome. I personally choose Lunati's offering. It is THE cheapest LS1 dual valve spring, likely made identical to higher priced springs and uses a tool steel retainer instead of titanium (weight is supposed to be similar). Plus there is hardly anyone posting up that they are running them, so I am gonna play guinea pig. I have a Cam Motion cam that has some pretty ignorant lobes on it. So if they can handle that then I will give them a good review
Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I would consider any spring a high potential for failure when people don't measure coil bind, installed height, or anything else pertaining to valvetrain longevity. There is a bad habit around here of just dropping in the spring and running it. Any spring can fail under a careless installer.
Amen to that.

many droped 918's and other springs in 'stock" heads or even ported heads that did not have the spring pockets machined down to allow a 1.8" installed height. With a high lift cam and low installed height...bang. Some also did not put in a spring locators just shims and the springs would walk

IIRC the "bad batch" thing on the Comp springs was 1 specific batch. each box of Comp springs has a 'batch #". Back when i compared my batch # to the alleged bad one, it was different. i don't have the supposed batch # now that was supposed to be the bad one. Then i read the "blue" stripe ones were OK...by looking at the OP's pic that would rule that out..his has the "blue" paint stripe.

My XFI grind cam .575/.570 lift cam card says 915 aka bee hive springs.

Maybe i will put my old 987's w/10 degree locks back on.....dual spring w/damper
Old 10-11-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Pac isn't made in America anymore last I heard. PSI is the only one left. And most people, me included, are just running a cheap spring which is bound to get a few bad ones put out every now and then.

I still think its funny that a lot of the people on the kill comp bandwagon are running springs made by the same company that makes comp's springs.
I work for GE Appliances. PAC makes the springs that we install in dishwasher doors. The springs counter act the weight of door so it doesnt flop open. The boxes that the springs come in say "Made in Mexico". These are different srpings but are made by PAC and are made in Mexico. When I built my LT4 I had the Comps in it about the time I started to see all the breakage threads. I changed out to the PAC 1518's. Back then I didnt know where the PAC's were made. I have since sold the car and it now has AFR heads on it and as far as I know the PAC's never broke.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Patriots are a good spring. I have heard of some breakage. but mostly due to lack of letting them warm up. They are titanium IIRC, which needs a lot of time to warm up.

I only run a PSI spring now
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
Patriots are a good spring. I have heard of some breakage. but mostly due to lack of letting them warm up. They are titanium IIRC, which needs a lot of time to warm up.

They are not.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks

Only the retainers are titanium..

Quick Reply: Valvespring ? with Pics