LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

afr 210 comp. heads or a.i tfs 215s

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
If they are ported? Hell yes. The OP didn't specify though - I'm assuming he meant out of the box since porting on top of the castings is a lot more cash then the AI TFS heads and would not be an even comparison - plus most builds will not need that much head. AI TFS packages are a great deal when looking for a proven performing group of parts and not picking different parts of the car individually.

You can have them converted for a relatively small fee. AFR 235s are one of the baddest 23* smallblock heads on the planet. We are talking over 340cfms...the "big boy" forums(the ones with more racers then ricers) love 'em .

They are huge though, so you better cam them right to see much benefit over other heads...they would be a waste on of these baby 24x hyd roller cams with .6" lift.
Exactly, pure racecar **** right there!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

which ones do you prefer? AI 215TFS
why do you prefer them? I'm running them on mine and making an immense amount of power with great results
What engine, drivetrain combo do you have?
385c.i. 13.9:1 CR AI TFS 215cnc......AI SR Cam little bit of extra lift
AI Ported Victor E Single Plane
4L60E 5000 Vigilante
4.56's Dana S60 w/28" Slick

what intake are you running, stock, sheetmetal, carb?
AI Ported Victor E EFI/ Wilson Elbow Wilson 105mm Monoblade

What made you choose one over the other?
AI's port efficency and chamber efficency as well as the overall technical vibe i got from speaking with them....they KNOW their stuff!!

Are they stock or ported more?

Read above

See Sig for more info and times........yes the car is an ALL MOTOR NATURALLY ASPIRATED car i drive on the street

Last edited by quik95lt1; 10-26-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
You can have them converted for a relatively small fee. AFR 235s are one of the baddest 23* smallblock heads on the planet. We are talking over 340cfms...the "big boy" forums(the ones with more racers then ricers) love 'em .

They are huge though, so you better cam them right to see much benefit over other heads...they would be a waste on of these baby 24x hyd roller cams with .6" lift.
I agree completely. I also like the Brodix heads that they will convert for you. Have them opened up as well. And again you would need a HUGE cam to see the real benefits of either of these heads, but I also like the idea of going FI with them and really waking up any engine. Again this is just me....I also drive my car less than 5 mile to work every other day as a truck driver, so driveability means absolutely nothing to me. I'd drive an all out race car if I had the funds tobuild one right now...lol
Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
RJE
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
which ones do you prefer? AI 215TFS
why do you prefer them? I'm running them on mine and making an immense amount of power with great results
What engine, drivetrain combo do you have?
385c.i. 13.9:1 CR AI TFS 215cnc......AI SR Cam little bit of extra lift
AI Ported Victor E Single Plane
4L60E 5000 Vigilante
4.56's Dana S60 w/28" Slick

what intake are you running, stock, sheetmetal, carb?
AI Ported Victor E EFI/ Wilson Elbow Wilson 105mm Monoblade

What made you choose one over the other?
AI's port efficency and chamber efficency as well as the overall technical vibe i got from speaking with them....they KNOW their stuff!!

Are they stock or ported more?

Read above

See Sig for more info and times........yes the car is an ALL MOTOR NATURALLY ASPIRATED car i drive on the street
Our setup are very similar, with the exception that you FI and I'm carbed. I just installed a new custom grind SR cam and the 456 gears and ran the times in my sig. I should be in the 9.90's in the 1/4 the next time I get to a 1/4 mile track, but I'm also about 200 lbs lighter than you are. Good luck, you should be in the 9's soon.

Randy
Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

man I didnt think many people had those heads, but so far Only 2 do. As for the afrs their are definitely not many around with them.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just checking the thread and noone really has these heads huh? I cant believe noone has these heads. I thought more racers had these bad *** heads.

Can either of these heads really benefit from just a Hyd Roller cam? Or is a SR really recommended to maximize the power benefits?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RJE
Our setup are very similar, with the exception that you FI and I'm carbed. I just installed a new custom grind SR cam and the 456 gears and ran the times in my sig. I should be in the 9.90's in the 1/4 the next time I get to a 1/4 mile track, but I'm also about 200 lbs lighter than you are. Good luck, you should be in the 9's soon.

Randy
yea im still a full interior street car.....my best 1/8th mile was 6.51 @ 104.8 IIRC........i wish i had your trans/converter and weight.........just switching to a 3 speed or a glide with a 8" 5500 stall would wake my car riggghhtt upppp........but bye bye street driving.......with the 4l60e and the lockup i can cruise down the highway at 2900 @ 70mph in overdrive locked up......nice setup though that thing ripppsss!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
RJE
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

That's sweet you can drive it on the street, I gave that up along time ago, and your right a PG and a 8in converter would set yours on fire. Hell, if I had a 8in converter instead of my 9.5in I'd be quicker and probably mph 108 or more in the 1/8.

Randy
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Im running the AI 215's, AI ported intake, custom grind HR cam AS&M monoblade TB, but no track times yet. BUT, the car FLAT hauls azz
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Im running the AI 215's, AI ported intake, custom grind HR cam AS&M monoblade TB, but no track times yet. BUT, the car FLAT hauls azz
Ive been waitn for you to step in! NOW are those heads bone stock ai215s or were they further ported? What cam do you have?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, I bet you were. They were further ported by AI and the cam is a custom grind, from AI.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea thats what i thouht.
I just remember you having ai 215 heads. But never seen your car or what it has besides your sig.

Did you ever dyno it?
What intake are you running?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I did.

Running an LT1 intake, ported by AI.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

It is interesting that some feel they need more potential than our 215cc TFS head when the overwhelming majority don't build engines that will run our 200cc CNC'd GM casting to potential, much less our TFS casting based heads. That isn't intended as a slight against anyone, but most balk when we tell them they need to build the engine around the top-end, which can require a different piston/header/etc. to run best. We do have higher capacity port arrangements in other castings, but we haven't ever invested the $ in producing them for the LT based crowd due to lack of demand.

If you guys truly feel you want an LT option with more potential than what we currently have, then we're more than happy to produce it if a few will step up and commit.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
If you guys truly feel you want an LT option with more potential than what we currently have, then we're more than happy to produce it if a few will step up and commit.
im game lets rrriiippppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mid-low 9's on motor??? lol
Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is interesting that some feel they need more potential than our 215cc TFS head when the overwhelming majority don't build engines that will run our 200cc CNC'd GM casting to potential, much less our TFS casting based heads. That isn't intended as a slight against anyone, but most balk when we tell them they need to build the engine around the top-end, which can require a different piston/header/etc. to run best. We do have higher capacity port arrangements in other castings, but we haven't ever invested the $ in producing them for the LT based crowd due to lack of demand.

which castings are you referring to?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it ! AI rocks they did my heads as well

Like everything in the modifying world its the reverse of the age old saying "if you build it they will come".

'IF YOU COME, THEY WILL BUILD IT" !!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
I love it ! AI rocks they did my heads as well

Like everything in the modifying world its the reverse of the age old saying "if you build it they will come".

'IF YOU COME, THEY WILL BUILD IT" !!!!
hell ya the power I'm making with a AI 215cc 23* head is insane!!! I'd be on it like white on rice..........bigger head and a cam about the size of the rockies and go deep 9's on motor!!! lol
Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have stepped up had Dart built the big bore LT1. But we all know how that went....
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
I would have stepped up had Dart built the big bore LT1. But we all know how that went....
The problem is that most LT1 builds are street cars, and even a lot of the more aggressive ones on this site are still streetable - think about the common parts most talked about...22x-23x cams, 3200-3600 stalls, 3.73 geared autos...not exactly race cars who need ported aftermarket castings. AI 200s are more then enough for most people, and their 215 TFS heads(which I originally planned on running until my goals changed) are a great fit for the other small percent.

When you start talking monster heads like ported AFRs or converted SBC race heads, you could easily slow your car down if you are running a baby cam like that without the gearing/stall/transmisison to support it. You're not going to be doing much street miles anymore though when your nice peppy street car now has a 25x cam, 4400 stall, and 4.30 gears. Just like with cams though, its hard to convince people that bigger isn't always better.

It is not cost productive to invest in those kind of heads for the small amount of people who do not care about streetability or whose cars are weekend toys or trailer queens. There are only so many Sikoras, Shepards, and Jakes :p

Quick Reply: afr 210 comp. heads or a.i tfs 215s