LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quote for true dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowrocco87
hi guys. my name is kurtis and i work for MBS performance exhaust where we have 3 in house mandrel benders and a digitizing program. for 1200 you get a system that looks like this

notice how that is all one piece. not cut and welded together as the kooks bolt on system is.

that is why our price is what it is.

thanks,
Kurtis
Oh and that system is beautiful!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Not a bad design at all, but how well can it interface with long tube headers?
we can make them fit anything. that is on a 3rd gen car. we did a 4th gen as well but the only pictures we have don't do it any justice. we build systems to cars. if there was interest we could build kits as well. but i didn't join this site to gather interest just to defend our shops name and prices. as well as get to know some of the members of this particular car community.

Originally Posted by manfred717
I would not pay that, I was quoted $350 with tips with me providing the mufflers only.
where was this at? a typical muffler shop that still uses pressure benders (crush benders) that were designed back in the 50's? just curious not trying to bash you but i see alot of this around the forums where people seem to post these silly cheap prices but don't ever go into detail about what material this was or the style of bending that was used.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently had an exhaust installed on a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently, and I could not find any local exhaust shops that were equipped with a mandrel pipe bender. It wasn't that big of a deal as the only piece of pipe that wasn't already fit to the Jeep and required bending was a piece of 304SS I bought to go between the y-pipe and cat. Still, it would have been nice to have a smooth mandrel bend as opposed to a crush bend. Is it becoming more common for small exhaust shops to have mandrel pipe benders? I actually thought the shop I chose for the install had a mandrel bender, but when I got there they did not.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mandrel bender is like a road force balancing machine, some shops have them and some don't. It all depends how much custom work an exhaust shop wants to do.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could not locate a single mandrel bender in my town. Only big shops have them.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
A mandrel bender is like a road force balancing machine, some shops have them and some don't. It all depends how much custom work an exhaust shop wants to do.
I love road force balancers, there are the shiznit
Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

LPP TDs are polished SS and only like $425. Ive thought about grabbing a set but can find an answer if they fit around Aftermarket trans cross members and DSLs
http://lpparts.com/store/page6.html
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SlowestTransAm
Just got quoted from a custom exhaust shop to make and put on true duals with cats ~$1,200. Downtime 1-2 days. I'm unsure what cats/piping they're using - I don't think it's stainless.
This seem reasonable?...

I can't do it myself - getting cold outside, I don't know how to weld and I hurt my bike in a motorcycle accident this summer.

Like most have stated, shop around some more, that's extremely high, when I did the solid roller 396 in mine a local shop ran true duals from my Kooks LT headers with dual cutouts (had those already), he ran a Dynomax stainless X & dual stainless Dynomax race mufflers with turndowns, it sounded great and performed just as good. Out the door for the exhaust piping, stainless Dynomax Xpipe and dual Stainless Dynomax mufflers, labor, etc for under $350. Turndowns don't require much exhaust pipe so it was a pretty quick and easy job.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Launching!

thats not too bad of a price if it over the axle, I did mine over the axle myself with 3'' mandrel mild steel... the tubing and mufflers were right around $600. the people saying they had their "true duals" done for 150-200 buck are full of ****, they are probably dumped before the axle... Nothing annoys me more than when people say they have true duals and its dumped before the axle, if your exhaust is dumped before the axle its called "DUMPED" not true duals!!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ReggieWarrenJr
thats not too bad of a price if it over the axle, I did mine over the axle myself with 3'' mandrel mild steel... the tubing and mufflers were right around $600. the people saying they had their "true duals" done for 150-200 buck are full of ****, they are probably dumped before the axle... Nothing annoys me more than when people say they have true duals and its dumped before the axle, if your exhaust is dumped before the axle its called "DUMPED" not true duals!!
I agree with you to an extent, how about x-pipe dumped with XXXX mufflers haha

My new setup including headers will be about $800-900 and thats all 3" piping over the axle, but I'm building it myself
Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 AM

that price that he received was for true duals ran up over the axle and out the rear. if he wanted dumps the price would be like $300 for aluminized and $400 for stainless.....
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I agree with you to an extent, how about x-pipe dumped with XXXX mufflers haha

My new setup including headers will be about $800-900 and thats all 3" piping over the axle, but I'm building it myself
Yeah thats about how much mine cost with headers, after doing my exhaust myself i have a whole new respect for people who do it for a living. It was alot of work and i think 1200 is a reasonable price for the OP. And now after i did my own i like to critique other peoples exhaust and i hate it when people dump it before the axle and call it true duals lol
Old 12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Why does it have to go out the back to be called TDs?
If it exits out 2 pipes and has 2 mufflers and not 1 pipe into a single muffler with 2 tips, they are TDs. Please explain how its not TDs?? Makes no difference where the system stops.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Why does it have to go out the back to be called TDs?
If it exits out 2 pipes and has 2 mufflers and not 1 pipe into a single muffler with 2 tips, they are TDs. Please explain how its not TDs?? Makes no difference where the system stops.
^^this.
2 pipes off the headers, 2 mufflers, 2 exits, true duals.

Clearance issues put aside, I wonder how a setup like kooks is routed, would sound with traditiional flowmaster 40series mufflers? I'm concerned that having the mufflers by the bumper would effect the throaty "rocks down a storm drain" sound that a big cammed car would produce.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a dual in/out muffler. Does that mean I dont have TD's? Why do mufflers matter in the first place? I put the emphasis on the pipes personally.

Does a mufflerless NASCAR not have true dual exhaust? If its not TD, what is it?

Last edited by wrd1972; 12-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

My planned setup would have been right around 900 for 3 inch over the axle in aluminized steel. Unlike most states California doesn't need stainless exhaust. My new planned setup should be a lot less, ill have around 350 in the mufflers, cats and x pipe alone and it will be 3 inch under the axle
Old 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Hey Kurtis,
Thanks for sticking your head out on the forums and giving some info.
Certainly hope it didnt seem like I was bashing the shop but merely had no idea what to expect when having someone fab this up for me.
Sounds like quality work imo.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by SlowestTransAm
Hey Kurtis,
Thanks for sticking your head out on the forums and giving some info.
Certainly hope it didnt seem like I was bashing the shop but merely had no idea what to expect when having someone fab this up for me.
Sounds like quality work imo.
oh i in no way took offense to anything you said! its only natural to ask others in your car community if the price sounds fair! haha i do it within my own community all the time for parts i am purchasing (since i build and fabricate everything myself no need to get prices on work lol)

anyways i just wanted to shed some light on what you get for the prices we charge is all.

hope everyone is doing well in here!

Quick Reply: Quote for true dual exhaust