LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with Oil Leak and Coolant leak (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Oil Leak and Coolant leak (with pics)

Ok so I've got an oil leak somewhere, and I cant find out where it's coming from. I've had the leak since it was rebuilt 4,000 miles ago. Was hoping someone would be able to give some pointers for where all to look check.

Most of the oil ends up on the bolt and the sensor on the bottom of the timing chain cover as well on the front sway bar. There is oil on the front of the cover, as well as on the bottom of the opti.

Could my oil pressure be too high? I had been using Castrol GTX 5w-30 since rebuilding the motor 4000 miles ago, but I changed the oil today and switched to Rotella 10w-30. The gauge had been reading at about the half way line with the Castrol, and is now reading about the 3/4 line.

Recently is has seemed that my car has been "using" antifreeze. I usually just top it off when the light comes on for low coolant. I filled it up today however, and the light did not go off. Checked the radiator and it's still fairly full.

A new problem has developed, as after I topped off the coolant and changed the oil, there seems to be a for sure leak somewhere as I stopped at a gas station a block from my house and there was a puddle of coolant on the ground after I filled up. There was also coolant that had sprayed on the underside of the hood and there was some on top of the intake as well.

Before I couldnt ever see a source for the lost coolant. It doesnt seem to leak when just sitting there, only when it gets heated up and going. The engine isnt getting any hotter than normal.

any help is much appreciated from anybody
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the weep hole underneath the water pump. That's where mine was leaking and onto the belt spraying coolant all over the place.

As for the oil leak it looks like the timing chain cover might be the culprit. Assuming you put a new timing chain cover gasket on, then the only thing I can think of is the seals on the cover for the opti and the crank are leaking.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Check the weep hole underneath the water pump. That's where mine was leaking and onto the belt spraying coolant all over the place.

As for the oil leak it looks like the timing chain cover might be the culprit. Assuming you put a new timing chain cover gasket on, then the only thing I can think of is the seals on the cover for the opti and the crank are leaking.
Thanks for the reply. Would the weep hole being what was leaking be the explanation for why it only seems to leak while running?

Yes did put a new gasket on, but had the timing 180 out of time and ended up having to drop the oil pan again to get the cover back off. Could we have messed up the gasket by doing that?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bds001
Thanks for the reply. Would the weep hole being what was leaking be the explanation for why it only seems to leak while running?

Yes did put a new gasket on, but had the timing 180 out of time and ended up having to drop the oil pan again to get the cover back off. Could we have messed up the gasket by doing that?
Yes, the weep hole will only leak while running. If that's what it is you need a new water pump.

You might have messed up either the timing chain cover gasket or one of the seals. If you have to change the water pump then it would be the perfect time to pull off the opti and get a better look at it and maybe find out exactly where it's coming from.

Either way get the water leak fixed fast so you don't kill the optispark. Especially if it's coming from the weephole.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Start from the top and work your way down. What does the front of the intake look like? Pull your TB and take a look. Does the sealant feel greasy? Do you see any obvious oil seapage? If you see oil slung around the timing cover then more than likely you have a bad seal(s). Oil all over the crank hub would signify at least that seal being bad. Oil pressure is not generated after it leaves the rocker arm. So all the drain back you see from the cylinder heads, into the oil valley, timing cover and into the pan are not affected by oil pressure.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Hook-up the opti vent lines also !
Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Teching In

i know the water pump drive seal on the timing cover is a pain to get right i screwed one up the first time
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2X Vote

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
...the seals on the cover for the opti and the crank are leaking.
That would be my vote, given your pics.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you still have trouble pinpointing the leak, a dye kit works wonders.

Quick Reply: Need help with Oil Leak and Coolant leak (with pics)