LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking about going to 4.56 gears opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADHAWK51
Colin, I'm not sure yet if I want to run this class again after all the **** that was said about my car being to fast for the class. I want what's best for the shootout so more people show up but, your going to be running just as fast and so is Alan so I'm torn.
Jeff your car is not too fast for the class IMO. I think the rules(engine wise) for the class are to loose. If you meet the rules you should run it.

As for the gear the 4.10s work good in your car. If you do change them you might need to change the converter up and possibly a bigger tire like Larry mentioned.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
Because if you go SR, you'll pick up mph...but because of the PCM your still limited to 7k. So I'm afraid you'll run out of gear on the big end. Keeping in mind that the calculator doesn't account for convertor slippage, you'll likely be trapping in the 125-128mph range which would put you on the limiter before the finish line. Thats why I say you'd likely need to stick with 4.10s. Unless of course you went to an aftermarket PCM...then you could spin it higher and make use of some 4.56s

What fun is it if everyone in the class stays the same speed year after year? The class has gotta progess...

If my car had made it, someone could have complained that I had a solid-roller motor just as easily as they complained about your heads. But once again, both cars were legal according to the rules and the staff.

I say run it, and lets duke it out on the track next year
Thanks Colin, We will see it would be fun for the 09 and 10 champs to line up against each other in 2011. I have a few things to sort out yet. The trans starting slipping in the eliminations last year so I need a rebuild and Moe took a look at my tune and said my car would definitely go faster with more timing up top. When Speed tuned my car I was planning on spraying it now I might just go all out na.

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Might not hurt to post this topic in the "Drag Racing" section too. You may get a little more feedback. Just a thought.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I would try a 4.30 and a bit more converter, but you might need a taller tire as well. The gear as we talked about before is not as important as the converter.
I know Larry, I just don't want it to loose that it effects my mph so I was thinking more gear might accomplish what I'm looking for. BTW you haven't steered me wrong yet bud.

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Jeff your car is not too fast for the class IMO. I think the rules(engine wise) for the class are to loose. If you meet the rules you should run it.

As for the gear the 4.10s work good in your car. If you do change them you might need to change the converter up and possibly a bigger tire like Larry mentioned.
Mike it's cool, I just want more people to come thats why I have thoughts of not running it, but who knows it's a long way off and I might change my mind.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i looked at the 430 gears for my car,my buddy has the 4:56 in his car it creams but i think it is to much gear
Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Mike it's cool, I just want more people to come thats why I have thoughts of not running it, but who knows it's a long way off and I might change my mind.
Lol I just bought a new set of sportsman fronts & drag radials and might keep the T56 for a bit longer too. None the less if you fit the rules you should run it and we all better catch up.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Lol I just bought a new set of sportsman fronts & drag radials and might keep the T56 for a bit longer too. None the less if you fit the rules you should run it and we all better catch up.

Mike, talk to Alan and find out what he has done to get his car to hook like this on a drag radial and you will be fine. I'am still impressed on the way his car left.

This is the only proof you need that manual guys can do it on a radial.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Mike, talk to Alan and find out what he has done to get his car to hook like this on a drag radial and you will be fine. I'am still impressed on the way his car left.

This is the only proof you need that manual guys can do it on a radial.
Hell yes. Watching Alan's car changed my mind about radials on a 6-speed car for sure.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff if I had your set up, and wanted to step up the next level, I would do a solid roller, 200 shot, but stay with 4.10's. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is ur car just a track car? I'm on mobile ls1 I can't see your sig sorry
Old 10-24-2010, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrell hoagland
i looked at the 430 gears for my car,my buddy has the 4:56 in his car it creams but i think it is to much gear
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by BOLO
Jeff if I had your set up, and wanted to step up the next level, I would do a solid roller, 200 shot, but stay with 4.10's. Just my 2 cents.
Butch, I'm very curious how far I can push this combo NA I would love to run bottom 10's which I'm sure would need more cam, more converter and maybe more head. I have some thinking to do.

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Is ur car just a track car? I'm on mobile ls1 I can't see your sig sorry
The car does see the street occasionally but definitely not a daily driver so drive-ability is not a concern.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
wtf Jeff, why would your car be to fast for extreme street class?

Rob, On a different board there were a few people saying that 10's were to fast for that class because it is a street class, but as Colin said our cars fit the rules for the class so what can I say.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Rob, On a different board there were a few people saying that 10's were to fast for that class because it is a street class, but as Colin said our cars fit the rules for the class so what can I say.
Yeah cause street cars don't run 10s.

Sounds like they are jealous. Don't change classes. Make the class catch you. You are the one to beat. Stay on top. Keep raising the bar.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Yeah cause street cars don't run 10s.

Sounds like they are jealous. Don't change classes. Make the class catch you. You are the one to beat. Stay on top. Keep raising the bar.

Thanks man, Don't get me wrong there were a lot of people like yourself that supported me and said the same thing to keep going and raise the bar higher.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Jeff, just keep going....

I haven't looked into the rules (since my car is still stock ), but I'd even go so far as to say a SR would still be street. Hell they were offered from the factory for how long??

You know me though..always over the top....
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Colin, We will see it would be fun for the 09 and 10 champs to line up against each other in 2011. I have a few things to sort out yet.
You and I lining up next year would be a blast! I have a few things to sort out as well...I just found out a few days ago what all is wrong with my motor. More on that later...but lets just say I'll be showing up next year with a little more displacement
Originally Posted by duh
I haven't looked into the rules (since my car is still stock ), but I'd even go so far as to say a SR would still be street. Hell they were offered from the factory for how long??
Hey the rules never said we can't run solid lifters, check sig
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

In that case.....Jeff definitely get a solid roller and spin it as high as you can!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone else made the switch from 4.10's to 4.56 ? someone has to be running this gear in an auto.
whats up man???

i actually did this........compeletely different setup though..........i had 4.11's wit a 4000 converter on my 385ci i went to 4.56's and picked up about a tenth in the quarter and just under a tenth on my 60's.......ran like 1.49-1.51.....then i went to a 5000 converter and i ran a pb 60' of 1.401 down in bowling green so far.....hoping for 1.3x's just like you are......1.42 is haulllinnnn assss thats awesome i remember watchin ur car come off the line.....i'd think the 4.56's would help i say try it out....wit peak power at 6800 and u crossing at 6100 now you could afford the gear and come across at 7000 or so.....

if this helps I run a 28" bias ply w/4.56's and a 5000 converter which i calculated is slipping around 9% I trap 131 and cross at 7800rpm.......

Last edited by quik95lt1; 10-27-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I would try a 4.30 and a bit more converter, but you might need a taller tire as well. The gear as we talked about before is not as important as the converter.
your absolutly correct larry.......i had a 4000 converter early this year in mine with 4.11's and i was running 10.80's at 127-128.......i went to 4.56's to try and fix a shift extension problem and i went 10.68 @ 128......couldn't get it to go any faster but the car was an animal on the high end.......i swapped from a 4000 to a 5000 converter and first pass off the trailer i went 10.43 @ 130.......so far to a best of 10.26 @ 132........converter has the potential to make a HUUGGEEEE difference if you have the wrong converter in the car to start with like I did.......
Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Don't do 4.56 gear b/c you won't be able to cross the traps before the limiter on the stock PCM. MY car with 4.10's crossed the traps 127mph @6900rpms so I don't think you will cross with 4.56gears and stock PCM. Goodluck Later Clint
Old 10-27-2010, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

is locking the converter out of the question? if you could convert that gear into 330' time, and lock it up top to squeak by off the limiter for a few mph................
Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

You and I lining up next year would be a blast! I have a few things to sort out as well...I just found out a few days ago what all is wrong with my motor. More on that later...but lets just say I'll be showing up next year with a little more displacement

Colin, I'm looking forward to it. My first issue is get the trans fixed it started to take a dump at the shootout slipping in the eliminations 2-3 shift.

Originally Posted by duh
In that case.....Jeff definitely get a solid roller and spin it as high as you can!!!
Thanks man, I'm looking at my options now.

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
whats up man???

i actually did this........compeletely different setup though..........i had 4.11's wit a 4000 converter on my 385ci i went to 4.56's and picked up about a tenth in the quarter and just under a tenth on my 60's.......ran like 1.49-1.51.....then i went to a 5000 converter and i ran a pb 60' of 1.401 down in bowling green so far.....hoping for 1.3x's just like you are......1.42 is haulllinnnn assss thats awesome i remember watchin ur car come off the line.....i'd think the 4.56's would help i say try it out....wit peak power at 6800 and u crossing at 6100 now you could afford the gear and come across at 7000 or so.....

if this helps I run a 28" bias ply w/4.56's and a 5000 converter which i calculated is slipping around 9% I trap 131 and cross at 7800rpm.......
Mike thanks for replying I thought you were running those gears but, I think your extra rpms lets you take advantage of those gears. I'm thinking it might be to close to chance it and Like Larry said maybe bump up the converter a little. I think the converter is very close right now though.

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
Don't do 4.56 gear b/c you won't be able to cross the traps before the limiter on the stock PCM. MY car with 4.10's crossed the traps 127mph @6900rpms so I don't think you will cross with 4.56gears and stock PCM. Goodluck Later Clint
Thanks Clint thats the info I need. I think I have some other issues I'm going to focus on now like low mph. I'm hoping I can get the car scanned while making a pass to figure some things out.

Quick Reply: Thinking about going to 4.56 gears opinions.