LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Solid roller guys only!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010 | 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
which springs are on your heads?
THey are standard AFR springs that are good to 700 lift and thats what LE based his cam specs off of!
Old 11-01-2010 | 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SPRAYED Z
THey are standard AFR springs that are good to 700 lift and thats what LE based his cam specs off of!
Don't you have the specifics, the details on those springs?

Just writing ". . . standard AFR springs . . ." and . . ." good to 700 lift . . ." isn't very informative. Besides, you're going to need that specific information at some point.

Jake
Old 11-01-2010 | 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here AFR 8000 spring

http://www.airflowresearch.com/valve_spec.php
Old 11-01-2010 | 06:28 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by JasonShort
Pushrods....this is the last component you will purchase. You need to assemble the engine and measure the exact length. It is VITAL that you have correct valvetrain geometry. This measurement needs to be precise since you don't have the leeway like you do with a hydraulic roller setup.
... to further add it is far more important to concentrate on width of the sweep than it is on the position the sweep is on the valve tip. If you have a .020 sweep and it's a little offset, it's far better than to be on center with a .050 sweep.
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
... to further add it is far more important to concentrate on width of the sweep than it is on the position the sweep is on the valve tip. If you have a .020 sweep and it's a little offset, it's far better than to be on center with a .050 sweep.

good point.
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Also, I would ditch the rev kit and invest in a set of Jesel shaft mounts.
Old 11-02-2010 | 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Also, I would ditch the rev kit and invest in a set of Jesel shaft mounts.
Agreed.

Now that I've experienced the joy of stud-mount rockers with a girdle I'll be investing in Jesel shaft-mounts over the winter.

I don't feel that my combo would really benefit horsepower wise with shaft mounts, its just that its much easier to set lash acurately with shaft mounts, not to mention I can switch back to a set of valve covers that will actually seal. IMO stud girdles are kind of a PITA...or maybe I'm just being a big girl.

Last edited by Colin91Z; 11-03-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2010 | 06:49 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

IMO it depends on how agressive the cam/spring combination is what should determine whether to go with shaft mounts or not. Stud girdles should just be avoided at all cost. They are a pain in the dick and not worth the hassle. Run some quality 7/16 studs and quality rockers like a HiTech or Crane Gold Racing series with a mild SR and things will be fine. I've been running stud mounts on an engine with at least 10K miles and they are fine. Just had the heads off and looked over and the valve guides checked out fine. The springs have 5lbs less pressure than what was documented when the heads were assembled three years ago.
Basically don't even consider running a girdle. Either run stud mounts with a mild SR application (250 on the seat and ~500 on the nose) or go straight to a shaft mount.
Old 11-03-2010 | 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
IMO it depends on how agressive the cam/spring combination is what should determine whether to go with shaft mounts or not. Stud girdles should just be avoided at all cost. They are a pain in the dick and not worth the hassle. Run some quality 7/16 studs and quality rockers like a HiTech or Crane Gold Racing series with a mild SR and things will be fine. I've been running stud mounts on an engine with at least 10K miles and they are fine. Just had the heads off and looked over and the valve guides checked out fine. The springs have 5lbs less pressure than what was documented when the heads were assembled three years ago.
Basically don't even consider running a girdle. Either run stud mounts with a mild SR application (250 on the seat and ~500 on the nose) or go straight to a shaft mount.
shaft mount FTMFW done end of story next case lol.......
Old 11-03-2010 | 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

T&Ds are <1000 bucks, that's what I'll be going with. With shaftmounts you can do 1.7s or 1.8s as well, so you don't have to run a crazy small base circle if you want to run some big lift. No reason to stay under .440 lobe
Old 11-03-2010 | 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Hell you can even get Jesels for $899 shipped! Thats likely what I'll be going with. My SR cam is fairly mild, springs are 250lb on the seat, and I've got ARP 7/16 studs and comp pro mags. So I'm sure I'd be fine running without the girdle being as I'm still running the stock PCM. But money permitting, I'm still gonna go for the shaft-mounts. If nothing else, it leaves me room to grow.
Old 11-03-2010 | 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
No reason to stay under .440 lobe
heheheheheheeeee.........

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
Hell you can even get Jesels for $899 shipped! Thats likely what I'll be going with. My SR cam is fairly mild, springs are 250lb on the seat, and I've got ARP 7/16 studs and comp pro mags. So I'm sure I'd be fine running without the girdle being as I'm still running the stock PCM. But money permitting, I'm still gonna go for the shaft-mounts. If nothing else, it leaves me room to grow.
Yep go with the Jesels I'm not running alot of seat pressure at all on the contrary to what people think and say i need........correctly designed theres no need for crazy pressures.......you can keep the valvetrain stable at very high rpm without it......AI and myself have proved that with my car.......I'll tell you right now I never....ever...once have had to adjust my valves because the lash changed.....I check them all the time and they never move the only time i've adjusted them is when i was experimenting.....

go with a solid solid roller valve train (quote brought to u by the department of redundancy department ) and you'll run for a long *** time and be durable.....it IS doable
Old 01-02-2011 | 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

any pics of these setups and/or part numbers?

Quick Reply: Solid roller guys only!!!!!!!!