LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Do you usually re torque head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
My 1/2" Crapsman torque wrench broke last night so I used my backup 3/8". I only got 1 head on but I want to get my hands on a Snapon torque wrench.

What I did with the one head was, after going 15/25/45/75, I backed all the bolts up a bit and re torqed them. The angle did increase after I did this.

My question is, when I get my hands on a REAL torque wrench, should I just check the bolts by tightening them, or backoff and re tighten again? Note that I only have one head on so far and I used the ARP Ultra thread sealer.

Will this fatigue the ARP bolts?
how
how did this work out for you because i did the same thing
Old 08-23-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My arp's are holding good after 6k miles, never retorqued. Im only around 325rwhp though. No way in hell was i re-using old stock head bolts! Too much work to put heads on to take a chance with old stretched, heat cycled bolts.
I will re-use the arp's when the time comes though.

Use good thread sealant on the arp bolt threads to stop coolant from seeping up the bolts. Also lube the bolt head/washer for proper torque.

Last edited by 350 groundpounder; 08-23-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Village Troll

Received 519 Likes on 375 Posts

I won't ever loosen a bolt on a head gasket after it's been compressed. I've heard it's fine as long as it's not gone through any sort of heat cycle (start/stop engine), but I won't do it. What I would do in this situation is leave them alone, as long as they are all torqued at a consistent rate using the proper torque sequence.

On a side note my 1/2" Craftsman broke a few weeks ago. Took it into Sears and they said tools with complex internals such as a torque wrench are only warrantied for a year.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Tighten only. Do not back off, then re-torque. Were you to do so, you could possibly damage whatever seal was originally made between the head-gasket, the head, and the block.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Launching!

The point of torquing them down to spec is to ensure that the head gasket is properly crushed and sealed. Once it's crushed that's pretty much it. Backing off the bolt will only weaken the seal you just made.

If you loosen up the bolts you might as well as replace the headgaskets again. Unless it's some hardcore copper headgaskets but if it's Felpro it's a one and done.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do 3 passes with a beam style torque wrench, normally I use ARP bolts if its not a stock motor. Be sure to install the washers in the correct orientation. Only had one ARP break on me and that was a L19 rod bolt.

As for the Torque to Yeild (TTY) I see people reuse them, but the purpose of those fasteners is to stretch when the angle is applied, it isn't going to kill you motor but if they have been reused several times it might be an issue. There is a guy on youtube that reuses them all the time with a big turbo. On a junkyard 5.3/4.8 LS motor that maybe cost 300 I doubt people want to spend money for the LS ARP bolts.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:30 PM

Default Torque bolts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Don't remember where I read it but after you do the final torque, back it up a bit and re torque. When I did this the torque wrench did travel further before it clicked.

I'll have to find the article for the rationale behind the whole thing.
You read it on the paper that comes with the new bolts. I'm looking at mine now and it says to back the bolts out one full turn

Last edited by Kandy Gillen; 04-22-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Bnb. Bbn
Old 04-22-2020, 04:58 PM
Village Troll

Received 519 Likes on 375 Posts

Dude still posts here, but you do realize you're responding to a 10 year old post?
Ah **** it, I'll respond to my own 10 year old post:
Originally Posted by SS RRR
Yeah mine are mechanical. Isn't that kind of against their policy? I thought every Craftsman tool was guaranteed for life.
Found out just before Sears shut down they do not have a life time warranty for complex tools, like a torque wrench. Socket wrench, yes. TR, no. Had to replace my 1/2" a few years ago after I torqued down a rear shock bolt in another car and snapped the bolt in half because it didn't click.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Dude still posts here, but you do realize you're responding to a 10 year old post?
Ah **** it, I'll respond to my own 10 year old post:
Who dis?

Quick Reply: Do you usually re torque head bolts?