LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Built A New Y-pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a damn nice custom y! Finally you got some sound clips of the that cam at idle to hear how it sounds, ive been waiting lol. The cam just arrived on friday while i was so im off to pick the cam up from the post office this morning and go to the engine shop to get everything else put back together!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job man. i am looking into the ebay set up did u have any issues with it and do u think i can make it fit up to my loud mouth system that was on the stock y?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense, but I cant imagine really feeling a difference with a simple change of the Y-pipe?? But, good job... I enjoy reading your threads. Im in the middle of the 8.8 buildup as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
That is a damn nice custom y! Finally you got some sound clips of the that cam at idle to hear how it sounds, ive been waiting lol. The cam just arrived on friday while i was so im off to pick the cam up from the post office this morning and go to the engine shop to get everything else put back together!
Thanks, i really do love the cam. Itll be alot better when i finish my rear tho

Originally Posted by LigHtEmUp01
nice job man. i am looking into the ebay set up did u have any issues with it and do u think i can make it fit up to my loud mouth system that was on the stock y?
I dont think youll ahve much of a problem. maybe just shift the I pipe over abit. Ya wont know till you try tho.

Originally Posted by Spiers
No offense, but I cant imagine really feeling a difference with a simple change of the Y-pipe?? But, good job... I enjoy reading your threads. Im in the middle of the 8.8 buildup as well.
Youd be suprised at what kinda difference you can feel when your exhaust is scavaging properly! i no longer need to downshift into 5th on the highway when i start to go up an incline. Its not all mental! thats all i can say lol The 8.8 build up will be rolling again. I was going to do it this weekend but my girlfriend decided to riddle me with problems end of last week. Ive been dealing with that
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The merge on the y-pipe is the most critical part of these exhaust systems, and considering how poor the after market y-pipes are there are definitely gains to be had.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you like this piece... was on my car for a couple months. Don't worry, wasn't my work, it's long gone... put down 350rwhp with it tho
Attached Thumbnails Built A New Y-pipe...-08042010-4-.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't be worse than the merge in this hooker y-pipe.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Speirs yours looks like mine compared to the one speed_demon linked
Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

are u using a 02 sensor? i want to know if the stock 02 on the headers will still rech the wiring harness?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

are u using a 02 sensor? i want to know if the stock 02 on the headers will still reach the wiring harness?
With the ebay headers i have. The passenger side needed to be extended about a foot. The drivers side was ok tho.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
With the ebay headers i have. The passenger side needed to be extended about a foot. The drivers side was ok tho.
How did u extend it?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

looks nice! Ditto on needing to learn how to weld....

Slight disclaimer would be there's no way that merge will fit with a tunnel mounted torque arm.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you like this piece... was on my car for a couple months. Don't worry, wasn't my work, it's long gone... put down 350rwhp with it tho
If you'd swap to something like this thread is about there would be gains to be had.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

How did u extend it?
I bought an o2 extension. i think i bought it off of summit.

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
looks nice! Ditto on needing to learn how to weld....

Slight disclaimer would be there's no way that merge will fit with a tunnel mounted torque arm.
Thanks! welding is an awesome trade to know. Its made my life Alot easier over the years..

Not having a tunnel mounted TA, i didnt even realize that it might interfere :s but thats for people with tunnel mounted TA's to spot

Originally Posted by slomarao
If you'd swap to something like this thread is about there would be gains to be had.
And gains there are... Its been awhile since ive had it on the car now and i can still feel the difference in her. So much nicer.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

really nice job man, I just build one for mine but I used 2 1/2 in piping so that sucks, but it was a quick fix only, Im starting to plan a 3 in build then I saw this, do you think this cat converters will work on it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thund...Q5fAccessories

I dont know if they are too long or too wide maybe you can help me out with it, also do you know what do I need to build the complete exhaust? I dont want to buy a cat-back cuz already bought one and it didnt fit properly so I want to build one and tuck it as much as possible, and there are no good exhaust shops arrund here

thanks!!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gorge
really nice job man, I just build one for mine but I used 2 1/2 in piping so that sucks, but it was a quick fix only, Im starting to plan a 3 in build then I saw this, do you think this cat converters will work on it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thund...Q5fAccessories

I dont know if they are too long or too wide maybe you can help me out with it, also do you know what do I need to build the complete exhaust? I dont want to buy a cat-back cuz already bought one and it didnt fit properly so I want to build one and tuck it as much as possible, and there are no good exhaust shops arrund here

thanks!!
Gorge, i dont think those cats will give you a hard time at all. IF there to long just cut them down abit. Width wise i think theyll be perfectly fine. To do a whole catback like mine, with a single in single out. including the y-pipe, youd need

5-3" u bends
1-Y-merge
1-4' straight pipe
and a muffler that will fit. alot of cutting here and there and welding. and of course a place to mount it.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

so you used U bends instead of 90 degree elbows? and to go over the axel I need to use the U bends also right?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Gorge, i dont think those cats will give you a hard time at all. IF there to long just cut them down abit. Width wise i think theyll be perfectly fine. To do a whole catback like mine, with a single in single out. including the y-pipe, youd need

5-3" u bends
1-Y-merge
1-4' straight pipe
and a muffler that will fit. alot of cutting here and there and welding. and of course a place to mount it.
what if instead of using 5 U bends I use:
4- 90 degree elbows PN; IMM-52021
1- U bend
2- 45 degree elbows PN; WLK-42760
1-Y-merge like the one u used
1-4' straight pipe

that would be less cutting and its only about 8 dollars more, but I'm not sure on how to come up with the angle that goes at the end of the straight pipe going up to the axle; also will 2-45 degree angles make up the passenger side of the Y pipe? thats what I used on mine but again mine is only 2 1/2 in not 3in

that used to be my parts list, I just wasnt sure if it would actually make up all of the angles with it

I apreciate your help and advice man, I'm not confident enough with my ideas and would rather listen to osmebody who has actually done this before
Old 11-27-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gorge
I apreciate your help and advice man, I'm not confident enough with my ideas and would rather listen to osmebody who has actually done this before
NP man, its the forums are for! What you said should be easier as far as cutting is concerned.. i only go with U pipes because for me its more convenient. youd need 4 45* for the Y pipe, then 2 90* for over the axle. then another 2 90*'s for the muffler in the back. it doesnt hurt to buy another pipe just to have it, just in case.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 2.5 inch ypipe those not hang as low as a 3inch I notice its no lost in power yes or no fellas?

Quick Reply: Built A New Y-pipe...