LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Built A New Y-pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Built A New Y-pipe...

The Y-pipe that came with my $300 ebay headers, wasnt so bad. It fit to the headers nicely and looked pretty. However it kept on bottoming out on everything, and i felt the "merge" was abit restrictive.

The Old

The new y-pipe i made consists of;
2- small race mufflers (highflow cats)
- all 3" mandrel bent piping
1- Magnaflow High Scavaging Y-pipe

Minor clearancing was needed on the drivers side.

Old vs New

The picture isnt the best for a comparison. But its tucked up much better to the body.

This is another BIG reason for me to make a new Y-pipe. I didnt notice it all that much when i installed them afew months ago.. i wish i did

Thats the end of the Y-pipe. The OD is just shy of 2.750" so it was restricting my exhaust quite nicely

Much better ground clearance!

Coupled with the now freer flowing exahust. New high scavaging merge completely changed the sound and feel of the car. Power is more readily there, and is much smoother. My car down low never felt so good. Nor uptop either! The power almost feels "laggy" at first but it just remains a relentless gain as you wind it out. The pull uptop is mind boggingly strong. Overall i am Extremely happy with the results. It clears everything better, Pulls better, and even Sounds better!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the same merge I had my y-pipe built with. I still don't understand why most people overlook the most critical part of a y-pipe.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
That's the same merge I had my y-pipe built with. I still don't understand why most people overlook the most critical part of a y-pipe.
Its awesome so far! I built it the way i did so if ever i choose to do true duel's i can.

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Looking good
Ty Ty
Old 11-07-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Really nice, wish i knew how to weld.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work man.. now finish that damn rear end so i can copy your design lol
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Really nice, wish i knew how to weld.
Thanks. Its not to bad to learn how to weld. Im sure there are a butt load of tutorials around that can help you. You can pick up a decent little mig welder like the one i have for not that much. and a good helmet for under $200. Then just practice practice practice.

Originally Posted by old93camaro
nice work man.. now finish that damn rear end so i can copy your design lol
Lol thanks man.. I did alittle work to it last week as a matter of fact. ill have my torque arm setup tacked up later this week. ill post pictures of it for sure
Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks REALLY nice! Are those Schoenfeld Race Mufflers in the Y pipe and it looks like a Powerstick in the I pipe? Also, did you have the bends bent for you or did you buy the bends and cut them at the desired locations? If the later is the case, do you know which bends you used? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That why im glad i learned how weld back when i was in high school.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Looks sweet, nice attention to detail.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Thanks. Its not to bad to learn how to weld. Im sure there are a butt load of tutorials around that can help you. You can pick up a decent little mig welder like the one i have for not that much. and a good helmet for under $200. Then just practice practice practice.

Yeah I spend some time browsing the MIG welding forum. What model/brand do you have, wire size you use etc etc lol
Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

very nice Y pipe, and I too am planning on copying the 8.8 rear. So finish it huh...
Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
That looks REALLY nice! Are those Schoenfeld Race Mufflers in the Y pipe and it looks like a Powerstick in the I pipe? Also, did you have the bends bent for you or did you buy the bends and cut them at the desired locations? If the later is the case, do you know which bends you used? Thanks in advance!
Yup those are Schoenfeld mufflers. I put them off the header so that they appear to be high flow cats. at $15 a piece i figured it was worth it to atleast have something there. The muffler in the I pipe is a classic chambered so yes. The pipe i bought was all individual mandrel bends from summit. I used 2 U-bends, i believe they were with a 6" radius. I cut them where i needed them and mocked them up under the car.

Originally Posted by lethal bird
That why im glad i learned how weld back when i was in high school.
Thats why im happy i work for a state certified welder

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Looks sweet, nice attention to detail.
Ty, I forgot my por-20 high heat paint at home i was going to paint over the welds with that to hopefully prevent them from rusting. One day whn i lay the car up for awhile. Im going to pull the entire exhaust off, wire wheel it and repaint everything.

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Yeah I spend some time browsing the MIG welding forum. What model/brand do you have, wire size you use etc etc lol
I have a lincoln 140C. I typically only run .025" wire on it with 75/25 argon. The .025" wire is very easy to manipulate and have do whatever it is you need it to do. With the settings just right. I can run a consistent bead around the pipe on a butt joint, without burning through the pipe.

Originally Posted by slomarao
very nice Y pipe, and I too am planning on copying the 8.8 rear. So finish it huh...
Thanks. I know i have afew people that are pissed at me for taking so long Ill have an update by the end of the week!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Looks really good bro!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Looks really good!

Wirefeed welding is not hard to learn, and it is a great skill to have. For most people a 110v welder is all you need, if you are just welding exhaust and sheet metal, there is no need for a 220 machine. Welding with gas is a heck of a lot nicer than flux core, it seems to burn hotter than solid wire and the welds always look like ****, IMO. I say if you want to learn how to weld, buy a little machine and like stated eariler watch some videos and maybe find a friend to help you.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see someone else fixed the merge on their y pipe, i used the Flowmaster Merge on mine. Did the mufflers quiet it down at all? Id like mine to be a little quieter

Last edited by hitmanws6; 11-08-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
This I like! I need something like this to merge my Jet Hot headers to my SLP 3".
Old 11-08-2010, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
This I like! I need something like this to merge my Jet Hot headers to my SLP 3".
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10798/

Same one in this thread... I have no idea why they haven't updated the picture.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10798/

Same one in this thread... I have no idea why they haven't updated the picture.
Much appreciated!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks on allt he comments guys! i really appreciate it. I couldnt be happier with the way the car is running. Everything, even coming off the clutch from a stop is ALOT smoother. The way it pulls up top feels similar to a boosted car. it just picks up and doesnt let go

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Glad to see someone else fixed the merge on their y pipe, i used the Flowmaster Merge on mine. Did the mufflers quiet it down at all? Id like mine to be a little quieter
Believe it or not they did quiet it down a tiny bit. But i also redid the entire Y-pipe with thicker tubing. My car is suprisingly quiet. last week before i did this, i asked my friend to drive it around a parking lot. i never heard my car driving from the outside before, and it was actually pretty quiet. Now i can tell that its quiet from inside the car, so id imagine the same from the outside. but dont forget i technically have 4 mufflers on the car now. Its just that there all straight through

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Its a beautifully built Y-pipe for the price! i was also looking at flowmaster merge pipes for headers. Ill go with one of them if i ever decide to go with a 3.5" or a 4" single.

Quick Reply: Built A New Y-pipe...