LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Timing Chain possible broke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG dude, just look at the damn thing and quit looking at everything else but the OBVIOUS. This is driving me nuts too, as you can tell.
Start with the basics, worry about spark and fueling later.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turn the motor over BY HAND with the covers off and make sure all is well....if so start with compression check and see if you have a bad cylinder...If all is good I would bet its the opti....

Easy stuff first....pull the plugs!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
turn the motor over BY HAND with the covers off and make sure all is well....if so start with compression check and see if you have a bad cylinder...If all is good I would bet its the opti....

Easy stuff first....pull the plugs!
yea definatly will do this. I had to put it on the side b/c my other daily for the winter was miss firing so bad it sounded like it has a 600+ lift cam in it. Turns out it was a dirty freaking EGR valve...So tomrrow he, my mechanic is getting test done from his battle with cancerous tumors, so he might work on it alittle tomorrow. if not I totally understand, lol. Next day I have off is thursday, so until than I'm on his schedule. But believe me, evrything stated will be done for my own sake.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
If it is a broken chain iwant to mke sure a quality one goes in that I don't have to worry about

Yes it has a lt1 in it. And if that's the case, that found mess up the opti too?
He was saying the screws have a habit of backing out and then at high rpm the rotor in the opti spark goes fling around inside the opti. Or sometimes you can break the rotor and it goes fling around inside the opti.
I have to wait until Thursday to see some ****? I'll TeVo this. lol
Old 11-30-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
He was saying the screws have a habit of backing out and then at high rpm the rotor in the opti spark goes fling around inside the opti. Or sometimes you can break the rotor and it goes fling around inside the opti.
I have to wait until Thursday to see some ****? I'll TeVo this. lol
lol. Well got a call this morning. Truck is fixed. I got my dad to nab a OEM igntion module and turns out, that was the issue. He installed that and fired it up and no other noises. So I am picking the truck up tonight. In the end, I replaced my ignition coil thinking it was that, and it wasnt, but the thing must have been the original one and it needed to be replaced. So I got a msd coil, so not too bad i guess. Once I get it back, Its getting taken off the road and garaged over the winter. I appreicate all your guys help and humor, lol

Quick Reply: Timing Chain possible broke?