LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project "Fix that damn 5th/6th gear high speed vibration".

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
My car has had this problem too for quite some time, I just always assumed it was the driveshaft. Good find wrd!
Damn me too. My car has been up and running, but I haven't taken the car that fast, plus I keep having small hiccups.

I replaced the driveshaft, and was hoping that was the fix, but like I said, I haven't been able to find out.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to be disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
Bengtson95 (04-20-2021)
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrd1972
It has been 100% vibe free for over a year now and I am 100% confident the root problem was a shitty design specific to the 5/6 driven cluster gear and the way it press fits on the main shaft.

Jason at TDP sold me the repaired main shaft for a very reasnable cost which has a tad more "build" in the problem area which will make for a tighter fit. I also purchased a brand new 5/6 gear and did a typical rebuild including new blocker rings and a new 1/2 syncro. Could not be more happy with the way its now working.

Lastly if you take your tranny apart and you can remove the 5/6 cluster gear by hand, you will have found the source of the 80MPH vibe assuminig everything else has been ruled out.
Well it looks like I found my next project. Thanks for sharing this information!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i was just about to post a question about this...i have the same exact thing going on!!!!! Is the lt1 driveshaft a POS? does it balance at speeds? I guess ive had this problem so long ive always just assumed it was the drive shaft
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Village Troll

Received 533 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by My2kz28
wow i was just about to post a question about this...i have the same exact thing going on!!!!! Is the lt1 driveshaft a POS? does it balance at speeds? I guess ive had this problem so long ive always just assumed it was the drive shaft
Eliminate your driveshaft being a factor before considering anything else. The LT1 DS was bad enough for technical service bulletin years ago.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

So what are the risks of driving with the vibration present? Obviously a lot of cars have it, yet, no one has chimed in and said their t-56 grenaded on them... Mine is annoying, but if it could be prolonged to next winter, that would be optimal.

Is an LS1 f-body drive shaft a direct fit on the LT cars?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
So what are the risks of driving with the vibration present? Obviously a lot of cars have it, yet, no one has chimed in and said their t-56 grenaded on them... Mine is annoying, but if it could be prolonged to next winter, that would be optimal.

Yea id like to know too! My car shakes my ***** blue!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71

If you drive around with a driveshaft imbalance, at the worst you could wear out the rearend pinion bearings, DS u-joints or the tailshaft bushing in the back of the tranny.

If you drive around with a worn out 5/6 cluster gear like what I have spoken to in this thread, eventually the drive splines on that gear are gonna let go and your not gonna have 5th or 6th gears. The splines on mine were about 50% gone.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Great thread, now I can add another item to my list of things to purchase to refresh my car.

Quick Reply: Project "Fix that damn 5th/6th gear high speed vibration".