LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust Set up, Do i have everything?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkr2wld
Yeah I should be learning my own car that way to be honest. and im trying to learn more and more but when it comes to fabricating, i don't have the tools or really the time. but the guy im taking it to, has done some good set ups. he knows his ****, im sure his muffler guy does too, as far as the tune, im gonna see how she performs without the tune for a little while, i wanna see what she's gonna run at the track, and whenever I get the money I'll take it up to Henderson Performance. he said he'd does his dyno tunes at $450. But I hear he's one of the best in Tx for LT1's.
Who is it? We can tell you real quick if he is well know in the LT1 tuning rhelm here in TX.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get why they are heavier? I thought it would be light since Im not running it behind the axle
I want mine to be dumped by the drive shaft
Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Somethings that come to mind that you might need. O2 extensions (if going with long tubes) and O2 sims. Your also going to want to make sure if you don't already have them is exhaust hangers if your going with a custom x pipe.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
I don't get why they are heavier? I thought it would be light since Im not running it behind the axle
I want mine to be dumped by the drive shaft
Well I was talking about full duals out the back. You're basically talking about glorified exhaust extensions.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Corey Henderson of Henderson Performance, in New Braunfels.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get some new front oxygen sensors, but don't install them right away. It's not uncommon for them to foul out a couple weeks after installing headers.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

@RAMAIR
Glorified exhaust extensions? Would true duals dumped by the driveshaft affect me in anyway?
Or is it a stupid idea?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, it's not a stupid idea at all. I know alot of guys around here that run that setup.

Maybe I'm being simple, but when someone says true duals I expect them to go out the back, not dump before the rear axle. That is what they are though...header, extension, muffler, dump. Glorified extensions.

I'm not a fan of the drone of such a setup, but they surely give decent power. Then again, so does my e-cutout'd Hooker catback. I guess it's just personal preference really. Not a fan of having a Trans Am with no tips to fill out the rear valance.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
@RAMAIR
Glorified exhaust extensions? Would true duals dumped by the driveshaft affect me in anyway?
Or is it a stupid idea?
Other than being illegal and dealing with some fumes, no you will be fine. Law states that the exhaust system has to exit the passenger compartment/body line. Dumped at the axle it technically not street legal. Not that alot of us care

Dumped exhaust sounds simply amazing, but for my car the drone was too much to deal with and I changed it less than 100 miles after the 6 speed swap.

To each their own when it comes to exhaust setups, some like catbacks, some like dumps, some straight pipes, and on and on. Search youtube to give yourself an idea of what you want and go from there, thats what I have done and granted it will sound completely different in person you still get a general idea.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill do it thanks but after I get rid of these JBA headers and go LT.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
RamAir-Not trying to start a pissing match or anything, but how about some #s comparing a catback without a cutout vs catback w/cutout vs open cutout. I just think that adding a cutout creates a turbulant spot in the exhaust and makes it not flow as well as if it wasn't there at all.
My car gained 17rwhp by adding a cut out to my B&B cat back. Dynoed right before and after it was installed.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AChotrod
My car gained 17rwhp by adding a cut out to my B&B cat back. Dynoed right before and after it was installed.
Thanks, your the first person that has posted #s for that. What did it dyno through the catback after the cutout? Or wasn't there a change at all?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Thanks, your the first person that has posted #s for that. What did it dyno through the catback after the cutout? Or wasn't there a change at all?
With the cutout closed, it won't make any more or less power than just the catback. Like AC said, my buddy also saw a decent gain on the dyno with having a cutout open. I can't remember the exact number, but it was in the teens. That's a good amount of power gain at the wheels. His car was a heads/cam car, not sure how much of a difference it would make on a bolt-on only car.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Set up, Do i have everything?