LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So tired of opti, sell car or fix.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quick94LT1
Get a 24x from efi connections and completely eliminate the optispark in favor for a ls1 computer and coil packs, will make the lt1 what it should have been from the factory for about 1500 bucks
True that, and I did a lot of research and it looks to be well engineered, in fact I started buying the parts to do the conversion, but for the total cost of the 24x conversion (about $2k), I just said the hell with it and traded my LT1 for a LS1 for about the same price. Don't get me wrong, I loved my LT1 and for $500, I'd still have a LT1, but it just didn't make financial sense for a car that also had a few other issues.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is not in the design. The problem lies with CHEAP PEOPLE who think they can get away with a $90 optispark. There's a reason the longer lasting ones (OEM specifically) are several hundred dollars, and it's not because GM is trying to rape everyone on parts. It's a very sophisticated device with very tight tolerances that these "budget" optisparks simply don't have. Not saying they are ALL junk, but look at the success/failure rates of these optis (Chandler, Allignition, etc.). 1 in 3 fail, and that's being generous. People easily buy into scams and skimp out on parts they think they can get away with, just because it has an attractive price.

I replaced my OEM opti in 2004 with an AC Delco, ran a cam-only setup on it for a full year, then the car sat, unstarted, for three years under a tree next to a swamp. Now, I've been spinning the same optispark to 7100rpm on my 383 regularly for a year and a half now, and it doesn't skip a beat.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^What Joe said x2,
*cough* I'm loving my $220 advanced auto part dizzy ...6,000 miles strong! hasnt farted yet
Old 12-25-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

RamAir, you're probably right. That's my thought - GM made these with close tolerances, especially given its location on the engine. I was an All-Ignition victim, but I specifically thought I was getting and asked for a true AC/Delco opti, and I paid close to dealer price for it. Sumbitch lasted only 300 miles. The next two were done at shops and I suspect they TOLD me they used AC/Delco parts, but I suspect they were fakes. The last opti I had lasted the longest, mainly because I made sure it was an authentic GM opti, but even then, it sputtered during a heavy storm, but was fine after it dried out.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:08 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
True that, and I did a lot of research and it looks to be well engineered, in fact I started buying the parts to do the conversion, but for the total cost of the 24x conversion (about $2k), I just said the hell with it and traded my LT1 for a LS1 for about the same price. Don't get me wrong, I loved my LT1 and for $500, I'd still have a LT1, but it just didn't make financial sense for a car that also had a few other issues.
2K for an ignition conversion when the car itself isn't even worth that much? Pass....
Old 12-25-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myk
2K for an ignition conversion when the car itself isn't even worth that much? Pass....
In fairness, I think the EFI Connection people aren't really pushing it as a general optispark replacement. I think it's intended for people who want to do LS1-type tunes, and/or high hp or for higher rev applications.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Honestly the cardones are not bad either. I know the best are the GM versions but they still are not a bad setup.
Like said above its the cheap people who want to skimp out due to prices that are causing the problems.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Anyone considering an ignition conversion like that probably has 2k in just a rotating assembly.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the 24x knowing I was going to spray the car and I could get an awesome tune with the LS1 PCM. I was just under $2k with the tune included by finding a PCM and coils through ebay, had a 96+ timing cover laying around and instead of the very awesome and functional but expensive coil bracket, I made valve cover studs out of threaded rod to mount my coils. So you can do it on a budget, if I mail order tuned instead of dynotuned I would have been around $1700. Honestly I have so much time and money in my car I will someday swap a LS2/3 or something else into it before trading the car. Why start from scratch again??? I'll transfer the 24x stuff to my truck at that time to eliminate its opti, if I ever get moving and get the LT1 into the poor 88.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JwMonE99
Seriously chandler?

Your company has failed selling LT1 parts on LT1 sites because of you how two failed at running the company. Don't talk big if you cannot deliver.

I don't care how cheap your price was, your optis arent that great anyways, your customer service is miserable. People are better off going to advance auto parts spend a few extra bucks to have a lifetime warranty opti and never have to worry about e-mailing about questions or concerns. We can call them anytime and speak to an actual person. Your phone line is a joke and a waste of time.

Seriously people the cardone selects from advance is a great choice. You still get a lifetime warranty. Yes they are like $50 more but you won't have to wait for shipping, and if it ever fails you don't have to wait at least a week to send it off and then receive a new one.
Advance auto also doesn't ask for your VIN number to make sure your not cheating them.
Well you are entitled to your opinion. But we haven't become the number one seller of Optisparks in the country by jerking people around and offering a poor product. We haven't failed at anything.

The cardone optispark is likely made in the same factory, since we know cardone buys parts from the factory we use. Its also $100 more. So if you want to pay $100 to be able to walk up and deal with a return face to face, by all means do it. We haven't ever claimed to be an alternative to a customer that wants that kind of service. We list everything up front in our return policy, on the website and its on our phone system too.

We service a certain niche, those customers that are patient enough to deal with a transaction that involves sending a part hundreds or thousands of miles and requires electronic communication. If that doesn't meet your needs, you can always stop by auto zone or your dealer. That's why they are there, and that's why they charge more money for parts. If dealers or autozone didn't charge so much for parts, there is no way we would be in business. So we are in reality, eternally thankful that customers like you exist. You keep Autozone\your dealer in business so that we can offer a lower priced alternative. If they were selling it for the same price why would you buy it from a company on the internet? So you see, we're in agreement here. However, what you want is internet pricing, and local service. So your expectations are off base.

But we have never tried or cared to try to satisfy everyone. We just celebrated our 25,000th customer, and we have like I said been a top rated seller for the last year, with less than .5 percent of buyers leaving low ratings in the usa. So by all metrics, we have succeeded in both our sales goals and service\customer service goals. But invariably, the people who are unhappy are the loudest. These are the same people causing scenes at your local retail store returning products. You know that guy yelling and screaming about something that everyone put their hands on their face after hearing? They exist on the internet too. So I take it with a grain of salt.

I lay down on my bed every night with a clear mind because I give everyone the straight shot. If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what to tell you. But it sounds like someone works at Advanced Auto! (mods, can we get an IP check?)
Old 12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JwMonE99
Get a cardone. They are $200 lifetime warranty and have a much higher success rate over CMS.
They're probably coming from the same factory. Cardone is a client of our distributor factory. I'll order one for a tear down this week.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Seriously Besides the LTXtech comments which BTW will keep me from ever buying an opti from them. They have a decent track record considering how many are out there doing just fine, he's right you dont get that good of an Ebay rating ******* people over. Also how many opti manufacturing plants do you think there is? Cant be more than a few and Im sure lots of places sell the same ones under their brand name.
Mail ordering anything sucks, vs dealing with a local shop except the price.
Just my .02
Old 12-27-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
They're probably coming from the same factory. Cardone is a client of our distributor factory. I'll order one for a tear down this week.
interesting ?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
I'd like to see that. I'm in all honesty on the fence. I like the eBay track record, but don't like what happened on LTx. That said I understand **** happeneds, and not everyone is going to be happy about it. I guess well see...
Old 12-27-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've replaced 2 optis (one mine, one another person's car) that had code 36 due to the spline shaft bearing (my 94, buddy's 93) coming apart and throwing chromium shards in the hi res encoder. I have mine still, removed the bearing. Wish I could find rebuild kits for existing optis. Other option is to buy the cheapest opti I can find (Ebay, maybe $55.00?) and yank the bearing out of it. Mine was only at 69k miles when it went but it was the factory unit and the car's build date is Nov. 1994.

Hell with pricing units, I just wish we could get rebuild parts for them. My .02.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

LoooOOOoooK !! ---------> G oJirA !!!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive seen cheap optis turn to 7k and I have seen VERY expensive optis not even turn 5500 without busting up...I think it is luck of the draw...

FWIW my buddy is running a Cheap lifetime warrant opti on his AI 355 and turns it to 7k without so much as a hiccup...
Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Matt where'd u pik up that air dam?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
LoooOOOoooK !! ---------> G oJirA !!!
Ok, that's three... DefaultX, still in the eggnog spiked with 151. and I explained the origin of my username a few threads ago. So what is default existence?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Ok, that's three... DefaultX, still in the eggnog spiked with 151. and I explained the origin of my username a few threads ago. So what is default existence?
LOL , nah on the eggnog...Its just when ever i see your SN it reminds me of a asian guy pointing and yelling his best in english "look godzilla" but it hilariously comes out " LoooOOOoooK ! GoJirA !!!!!! IDK i get a chuckle out of it....

DefaultExistence came from a period in my life where i thought i was going places and i was where/who i am suppose to be but in a blink of an eye my hopes and dreams and reality was smashed to pieces and unexpectedly had a life change. by default when you lose everything and it comes down to just you and nothing else,ground zero ...you begin your default existence...

Last edited by defaultexistence; 12-28-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: So tired of opti, sell car or fix.