LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Experts come in and help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experts come in and help

okay, so let me start by staying I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS HAPPENED. I was putting on the harmonic balancer and was tourqeing it to specs when it snapped. now what i need help on is HOW TO GET THE DARN THING OFF SO I CAN REPLACE IT. And please save all the negative feedback for yourself. i already feel like an idiot for having it happen. just help me dont dis me and make me look even worse thanks alot.
Attached Thumbnails Experts come in and help-26978.jpg  
Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What probably happened at some point is someone tried removing the hub with a center bolt that was too large, pressing against the hub instead of the crank snout. This could weaken and/or break the ears clean off.

What I would do is weld the ear back on, then use the right hub removal tool.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Thats a really good idea and i appreciate you not "hazing" me. Granted im only 20 years old and I built my 383 with my dad i still have alot of knowledge to aquire. never the less, would that be safe to do? in my pic,in case you didnt notice, i have the Gen 5 Dynaspark distributor that works directly with my Delteq setup. Would the heat affect any seals around the oil pain? and should i mig weld it or tig it?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as you're easy with the heat I wouldn't worry about it too much. That's a pretty thick piece of metal so the heat shouldn't travel too far. You also won't need to weld the crap out of it - a few solid beads is all you need. Remember you just need enough material to hold it on while you use the puller. MIG would be fine. Keep in mind the puller will evenly distribute the load over all THREE tabs.

When you have the hub off, I would go ahead and replace the seal since you're there, and if the heat does travel that far it will melt/distort the rubber.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

alright. thanks man i really appreciate. if you have any other tips or what not let me know-Jordan
Old 01-01-2011, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know how well that material would weld.

What about using a grinding wheel and grinding some reliefs in it to get a three jaw puller on it??

Quick Reply: Experts come in and help