LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 383 build help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Classic example of doing things wrong. My car ran that with a nitto and catback. So you just picked up random parts like the cam and heads? You might have the cubes but Nothing to support them. Your motor is not not even making 300rwhp IMO. The trap speed should be way better.
I admit I got a little rushed and excited with my build and did a few things the cheap or easy way out, but this was my first time doing anything like this. I was ignorant, and probably still am in some areas, but how else do you learn? Feel free to use me as a "classic example". I didn't just pick up random parts, though. I picked out my cam and took the advice of the engine parts guys and my uncle. The heads are just ported stock. We were thinking about 320rwhp, but you might be right, maybe lower. I've done a lot to support the motor since my last trip to the track, so we'll see what happens next time at the track.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mguidry629
I admit I got a little rushed and excited with my build and did a few things the cheap or easy way out, but this was my first time doing anything like this. I was ignorant, and probably still am in some areas, but how else do you learn? Feel free to use me as a "classic example". I didn't just pick up random parts, though. I picked out my cam and took the advice of the engine parts guys and my uncle. The heads are just ported stock. We were thinking about 320rwhp, but you might be right, maybe lower. I've done a lot to support the motor since my last trip to the track, so we'll see what happens next time at the track.
Yea id say your a bit south of that 320 number but thats exactly what we are trying to shy the OP away from. Like you said you Live in your Learn don't let someone on the internet tell you that you "did it wrong" You enjoy your car? then thats all that matters. Just a lot of things that could have been done better.

And what else you have done to help them numbers
Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mguidry629
Exactly, You need to research and research then research some more b4 jumping into a build. That cam is tiny for a 383, Do you know who ported your heads? You might have the 320 but your trap speed says more like 300ish.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't agree 100% with the whole "learn-by-doing, mistakes included" ideology. The motor I built was my first real performance build ever, and 80% of it I learned from talking with engine builders, researching other people's combos, talking with other racers, and (believe it or not) learning from credible internet sources. I think if you're dedicated enough and mean business, you can do it right the first time.

Sure hands-on experience helps in actually BUILDING IT of course, but deciding on and acquiring the parts that WORK is just as important.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I don't agree 100% with the whole "learn-by-doing, mistakes included" ideology. The motor I built was my first real performance build ever, and 80% of it I learned from talking with engine builders, researching other people's combos, talking with other racers, and (believe it or not) learning from credible internet sources. I think if you're dedicated enough and mean business, you can do it right the first time.

Sure hands-on experience helps in actually BUILDING IT of course, but deciding on and acquiring the parts that WORK is just as important.
i agree
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

I will agree with all of the above. I wanted a mild cam because this is my daily driver and I depend on it to get me to work every day. At the time of my build I did have another vehicle to drive, but it has since been sold. With that said, if I'd known what I know now, I would have gone with a bigger cam, because it seems that you can go pretty extreme and still have decent streetability with these cars. At the time I didn't want to take the chance of having idle problems, etc. For me this isn't a race car, but it's fun to go get your numbers at the track so you can talk about it.

Since my last trip, I've had Solomon tune done, msd wires, gone from 225/60/16 walmart tires to 295/35/18 BFG KDW2 (no, not as sticky as a drag radial, but I needed something to last longer), electric cutout, posi carrier (only spinning one tire last time out), I'm getting a wide-band O2 in the mail tomorrow to really fine tune, i've gotten rid of annoying knock problems. I still need to get bigger injectors and probably a few other things.

It seems like the motor is not making power past 5k rpms for some reason. Last time at the track I changed shift points from 5800 to 5500 to 5200 and finally 5000, which seemed to be the best shift point based on my ET's. This may have been corrected with the tune.

And lastly, my heads weren't CNC ported or anything. It was done at my uncles shop. I don't know the technical lingo, but I watched and helped throughout the whole process. He has a few tricks to getting heads to open up and the valves to seat better. Nothing compared to a CNC port job I'm sure.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people seem to do a 383 just to say.....
"Yeah I have a 383"

But best of luck getting the best out of your motor a nice LE/AI cam and heads would wake that thing up big time.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can buy some nice Lingenfelter heads from me.

Quick Reply: Lt1 383 build help