LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Would it be okay to tow with LT1's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if you didn't get the point of that.. it wasn't meant as a joke. We don't add towing **** to muscle cars... we just add the wrong decals or put extra **** as a damn joke.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't read the thread atall, BUT the LT1 wagon when equipped with the tow package 2.93 gears got a 5000lbs tow rating on top of their own 4600lbs base curb weight.

Now what the f-body chassis can handle is another question but was not the thread title.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I towed both of these things 500 miles from Connecticut to West Virginia,

how fast did you drive with those size tires on your wagon
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
I was referring to a particular individual and I said Hispanics not Mexicans from Mexico not all of us are Mexicans.

Oh yea once again I'm Hispanic ...and I was referring to this particular individual. Stop trying to instigate. Are you in hs?
Nope 2 years out of High School Enlisted in the Air force

So your saying nothing like this has ever been done by a Mexican? or ANY OTHER country other then America? Your ignorance is ******* hilarious man

Only in America? Oh wait the place you probably live in??
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Dipshit
Said minivan had Chihuahua tags. That is a state in Mexico for those who do not know. Highly likely driver was a citizen of Mexico, therefore Mexican.

The other stuff you're saying doesn't make much sense.

-Dustin-
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

You continue to bitch go smoke some bud...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So many dumbasses on this forum have bad attitudes and try to act like being a smartass is the smart and cool way to handle a situation. i bet half of the ******** on here wouldnt talk as much **** in person. lol when someone asks a question just answer it politely haha. but then again i cant change the ignorance of some people.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you continue to bitch go smoke some bud...
why you shy away from question?!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LTX
So many dumbasses on this forum have bad attitudes and try to act like being a smartass is the smart and cool way to handle a situation. i bet half of the ******** on here wouldnt talk as much **** in person. lol when someone asks a question just answer it politely haha. but then again i cant change the ignorance of some people.
Amen brother. You can hardly ever ask a question without getting flamed the **** up on here. And all the flame gods on here are real badasses behind a Dell. I can understand when someone asks a dumb question, it should get a dumb response. But every ****** thread has to have some flaming. Other than that this is a great site. Haha. But when you get a bunch of people together there will always be "badasses" and ignorance.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bro its only the lt1 section... this **** doesn't happen much on the forced induction part or ls side of things....

Oh well
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm a badass, my car's flat
Old 09-24-2011, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Pillarpod, I stayed around 60mph because of the small tires. It was just as safe as if I had used a steel bar to extend the tounge. It wasn't just slapped together without thought on safety, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and made sure it was safe. I could jump up and down on the tounge and it didn't move, the weight was distributed forward so it didn't sway, and the bed was bolted to the trailer.

Back to the OPs question, make sure at least 10% of the weight is on the tounge so it doesn't sway and you will be fine with anything under 1000lbs. The uninody frame rails and the rear springs are the limiting factors for the car.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Great thread.

Although I hav'nt towed anything with either of three LT1/Z28's, I HAVE bought a 4t Gen specific tow hitch from a "member" here,...just in case.
It's not installed but if I ever need it I'm good to go.

I'm not McGyver or anything, but I've been in situations where I've HAD to make something happen that involved towing,...

ie.,...found a hidden gem of a non running hot rod and HAD to have it/tow it home/right now or never.

ie.,...had to move, quick like(let your imagination run wild) and had to take everything, and never come back,...lol as I type this?!

I know a guy, a friends cousins brother who has on more than one occasion had to borrow a "heavier/larger" vehicle to pick up a UHaul trailer/dolly and then use the trailer behind his much smaller vehicle, and because he, was sensible and took his time/knew how to feather a clutch/really knew the road/ he IS McGiver, get the job done without any harm to trailer and/or said vehicle.

Now, racing with a BBQ,...that's crazy?!.

Last edited by TIIMuch; 09-26-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Bro its only the lt1 section... this **** doesn't happen much on the forced induction part or ls side of things....

Oh well
My theory on this that 90% of LT1 owners either fall into two categories....neither is particularly good at giving objective respectful advice on a forum. The other 10% know the cars in and out, are willing give objective advice and are very helpful and can save you a lot of money and time from others mistakes.

Group 1: High school kids who just got their first Camaro/Firebird and flood the LT1 section with stupid questions that have been answered 1000's of times before and post immature comments to stir up **** and generally instigate douchebaggery.

Group 2: Bitter, crusty, highly opinionated old LT1 diehards who have been in the game since the 90's and have a highly technical understanding of the LT platform, but use their knowledge to belittle and berate those "beneath them" (see group 1 ) with snarky comments and argue to the death about anyone who says different than them.

I think we should all strive for the 10% exception....it's definitely easier to be an ******* on the internet than in person.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

but when you "belittle and berate" them you feel so powerful and are that much closers to world domination

Quick Reply: Would it be okay to tow with LT1's?