LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

375hp? +/-

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
I have not once bashed AI until they said what they said to me

Every time someone comes on here asking I mention both companies and even after what they said to me I said they perform theres no doubt about that

and have you ran the LE's??
I don't care who you recommend or how frequently, you don't have any credentials to support EITHER company, that's all.

What could they have possibly said to you that forced your business elsewhere? Please share. PM me if you want.

Have I ran the LEs? No. But I've seen what I needed to see, and they were just not for me. In another thread I told you I was originally going to use them for my build, but common sense kicked in and I went with AI.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I don't care who you recommend or how frequently, you don't have any credentials to support EITHER company, that's all.

What could they have possibly said to you that forced your business elsewhere? Please share. PM me if you want.

Have I ran the LEs? No. But I've seen what I needed to see, and they were just not for me. In another thread I told you I was originally going to use them for my build, but common sense kicked in and I went with AI.
Practice what you preach hypocrite
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Practice what you preach hypocrite
I have extensive experience with AI on two local cars, not including my own, one of which had LE heads. I helped installed the LE heads myself. I saw what I needed to see, and their track numbers didn't do much for me, nor did it do anything for the owner, who switched to AI and is FAR happier (and faster). Not to mention the factual evidence posted in the past, but I won't post any of that - you can find it on your own.

Hence me making the choices I've made. Seems to be working so far.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Like I said, the 227 is a torque cam, the goobers comparing it to the HOT cam are forgetting the HOT is a HP cam.
I am not saying the 227 is a bad choice, it is mild and proven will run well a LONG time before wearing out a spring like the 918.

People are also inflating your numbers because they put undo faith in Lloyd's magic.
400+ with an off the shelf cam and 900 dollar heads

I mean looks like some good bang for your buck IMO
Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow everyone is so far off topic and no one seems to give a crap about what this guy wants. plenty of guys have gone fast with both brands, and plenty have had bad experiences with both brands.

he just wants to run quicker than a 12.2 and be able to say he has 375 CRANK hp.

Yes the heads/cam setup you are looking at is capable of that.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzyjk
Will 20 degrees work out to a 83 whp difference? I don't know **** so I am looking for education not trying to bash. I know the M6 must be 20 or so HP right?

What will I need to do to I see a 12.2?
U shouldnt have problem running 12.2 with that cam and heads. As long as u got the boltons to support them and a decent stall. I went 12.3 with boltons and 3800 stall. So u should b good.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Also dont worry bout what it dyno's. Autos are not dyno queens at all. The track will tell the real numbers.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

People have run good times on everything from GTP to LE to AI to EB to LPE to PortPros to Larry Meaux. Folks need to realize there isn't one of these companies that ports heads so much better than the other that it's the sole reason it performs better at the track or dyno. Wise people know better.

-Dustin-
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basicly.... I had, what I felt, was a go fast car a few years back that ran a 12.2 stock (411whp but 4000lbs). I thought it was a rocket! I am currently building a different car that will put 550+ boosted HP at the wheels and weighs under 2400lbs. Now that will be a rocket!

This Camaro was my first new car (it is a long story) but I got it back 14 years after I sold it. When I was 21 years old I had all these ideas to jump the hp 100 points from a stock 275 to a "thumping" 375 with a future plan of funny gas. I sold the car completely stock, right down to the filters. I purchase this car back nearly two years ago and it has sat in pieces for most of those two years. I am going to bring her as far back as I can and stick with the goal of 375 . I have a full rear mount turbo kit that I might or might not use.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
You're on acid. Hotcam only cars dyno 320. He should be 360ish.

Not that dyno numbers mean a damn thing anyway.
No way will he make 360 through a stalled auto with a low lift/210int duration cam. That is a TQ grind...plus stalled autos dyno like ****.

Originally Posted by gregrob
I BUILT a car with cam similar to the 227 with more lift. 411 rwhp all day long.
I would love to see 411rwhp through ANY drivetrain with anything remotely similar to a crane 227...IIRC it is only 210/224 and low .5's lift.

This one is gonna be filed under the 1 outta 10 times I agree with Caprice.

To the OP, you will get around your 375 *FWHP* goal, but do not expect anywhere near that for RWHP. If you get 320+ then be happy and run with it, then take it to the track and spank on 360+ rwhp M6s.

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
People have run good times on everything from GTP to LE to AI to EB to LPE to PortPros to Larry Meaux. Folks need to realize there isn't one of these companies that ports heads so much better than the other that it's the sole reason it performs better at the track or dyno. Wise people know better.

-Dustin-
Amen to that. People have ran 11s with BOLT-ONS...using one persons above average times to plan and suggest builds to others is a horrible idea.

Last edited by Puck; 01-28-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Free vs $850+ IMO, depends on how much you want your wallet to burn.
Eh, I'm just going by their website
Yank SS3600 for me was $725 from SpeedInc and I absolutely love that converter. I've also heard and witnessed great results with Circle D converters. Can't say much about Edge's because neither I or friends have ran them. However, I am not discrediting Edge's.

Best of luck with your car fuzzyjk! Don't go cheap and get one of the converters I listed above and have fun with it. You already purchased the valve-train/heads parts, so you might as well use them
Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Puck

Amen to that. People have ran 11s with BOLT-ONS...using one persons above average times to plan and suggest builds to others is a horrible idea.
As you said amen to what you said man, dyno #'s are like dick size, what it runs at the track is where it counts.

OP, you should have no problem making that at the crank, and have good street manners. You should also be able to run low 12's too with good and sticky tires. I myself would have gone with something like a cc503, in the 22x/23x duration size, but that's mho. Don't listen to these other ******** cheerleaders on either side of the LE/AI debate, either one will tell you their company is better because they went with them. Although I can say I would like to use AI's ported 21* heads on a turboed 383/396 and rape pretty much anything on the street all day long, but that's another thread.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was incorrect on the type of stall (it is not a B&M), I pulled it off the shelf and it is a TCI Pro-X StreetFighter. How does this stall compare...............Is it worth using?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not use a TCI. Hit and miss at best, if built for the 3600stall you mentioned at first the stall will get out of control on boost and you will likely tear it up taking out the tranny too. I would honestly reuse the stocker till you can put an Edge, Yank, or Vigilante in it.

idformula, if you go back and read this this is not so much an AI vs. LE thing, this is two LE fans grossly inflating expectations and several of us from both schools of thought trying to counter that.

If you go back and read the only part I believe I specifically criticized was the torque converter. I think his flywheel goal is likely in the ballpark for his heads and cam selection.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

you could run a tci, just not an el cheapo one. i believe you can get in touch with someone at tci to build you a decent converter for roughly the same price as a vig/yank/whatever everyone else with an LT1 or LS1 car runs.

i ran an el cheapo jw converter for a long time and it did fantastic before eventually bending some of the fins backwards with the nitrous.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned

If you want a good cheap stall look at RevMax.. lot of good things said about them lately

Quick Reply: 375hp? +/-