LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

GAS!! epic fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHA i dont have a weekly allowance! haha i worked as a machine operator for the last 8 months and made quite a bit of cash...but now im going to university monday..=(
Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

I've run my car plenty of times on 87 octane before the cam and head gasket job, even beating on it. Only difference is the 2-3 mpg lower fuel mileage and the noticeably lower power. Otherwise ran normal. As far as the Audi is concerned I'd think you'd have to run premium in it, I work as an Audi tech and I've seen regular grade cause non-turbo engines to misfire. Now it very well could have been water in the gas that caused the problems in the audi as well, who knows at this point.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

well, im getting the audi back today, my mom wants it and i need the money cuz i just bought a truck and im going to school. but its running fine again. he said it didnt have anything to do with the fuel the spark plugs looked old even though we put brand new bosch ones in 2200 kms ago. so he changed the plugs and flashed the computer now everything runs fine again..=)
Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zebisko
I've run my car plenty of times on 87 octane before the cam and head gasket job, even beating on it. Only difference is the 2-3 mpg lower fuel mileage and the noticeably lower power. Otherwise ran normal. As far as the Audi is concerned I'd think you'd have to run premium in it, I work as an Audi tech and I've seen regular grade cause non-turbo engines to misfire. Now it very well could have been water in the gas that caused the problems in the audi as well, who knows at this point.
I've seen a GTP develop a tick cause the guy used regular. I have to run 91 in my car. My brothers VW turbo takes premium and my friends Rover does as well. If the manufacture calls for it you shouldn't deviate.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fex77k
I've seen a GTP develop a tick cause the guy used regular.
Are you sure that's why? My brother ran 87 regularly in his GTP for years in AZ. The GTPs had enough timing to be pulled for 87. He never went WOT or not often at least. Sure some may be more picky about fuel, but most won't even notice... only the butt dyno.

My dad ran 87 in his SSEi with a 3.25 pulley on a stock car. Scary sounding right? Nope. Never went past 30% throttle though.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

No, it won't run "fine", but it will run.....
thats kind of what i meant about losing out on power and efficiency

i didn't say it would run great or perfect, but i will run perfectly fine for what he's doing with it right now which is starting it up every once in a while sitting in a garage

The point was, is he doesn't need to waste his time draining his tank if he's just going to let it idle away for the rest of the winter
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Are you sure that's why?
It sounded like ****, he didn't modify anything on it the whole time he had it, except for the mandatory in case you cared what kind of car this is "Grand Prix" window sticker and reflective "Pontiac" between the tail pipes.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fex77k
It sounded like ****, he didn't modify anything on it the whole time he had it, except for the mandatory in case you cared what kind of car this is "Grand Prix" window sticker and reflective "Pontiac" between the tail pipes.
The factory badges aren't enough. You gotta make extra sure people know it's not a grand am.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yep what they said^ 87 octane will run fine at idle and light throttle regardless........i've ran 93 in mine before to limp home at light throttle and im at 14:1 CR......
Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should still run on 87. it might be a bit sluggish. i once had to run a tank of 87 because i almost ran out of gas in BFE west texas on my way to phoenix and there was a propane store that had one gas pump and one diesel pump. i can only assume the gas was 87. the car seeemd a bit sluggish getting back on the highway but then when i set the cruise @ 75 or so and went for 300 mi, i ended up getting the best mileage i've ever got (25) but i attribute that more to the 100% highway drive than the low octane although on other tanks on that trip i was only getting 22 or so.

Quick Reply: GAS!! epic fail