LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help me pick gear / tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
"Far less chance..."? You don't seem as sure of yourself with your past claims now:

It's already been stated on how there are auto/trans brake f-bodys on a DR that are far faster, generating much quicker 60' times than the OP and using the same driveline parts we all use. If that isn't good enough for you then you are as much of a hack as I thought. Try and keep up.
How about we go at it where instead of you making blanket/sheep/parrot like claims and then ask to be proven wrong, why not do like has been asked and you prove yourself right. Show why it is you can make such claims with confidence.
OP has a 6 speed. Automatic cars are irrelevant to this topic. I have fully explained why that is and you had no response.

I am so confident because this is very simple.

Bias ply tires have softer sidewall construction than radials. Softer sidewalls soak up shock load. Harder sidewalls transmit it. When shock loads get transmitted, stuff has a tendency to break.

Simple as 2+2=4.

Don't believe me? Go look in the thread the OP started in the wheel and tire section - https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ials-come.html

Gosh, those guys all say the same as me. They must all be parrots/hacks. Go get 'em!

Let's see, what else can we do to figure this dilemma out...

How about we look at some launch photos and see how much different tires deflect the sidewall. Can you guess which one is on radials? Remember, look at the sidewall flex, that is what is absorbing the shock load.
Attached Thumbnails help me pick gear / tire-dragradial.jpg   help me pick gear / tire-slick3.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
OP has a 6 speed. Automatic cars are irrelevant to this topic. I have fully explained why that is and you had no response.

I am so confident because this is very simple.

Bias ply tires have softer sidewall construction than radials. Softer sidewalls soak up shock load. Harder sidewalls transmit it. When shock loads get transmitted, stuff has a tendency to break.

Simple as 2+2=4.

Don't believe me? Go look in the thread the OP started in the wheel and tire section - https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ials-come.html

Gosh, those guys all say the same as me. They must all be parrots/hacks. Go get 'em!

Let's see, what else can we do to figure this dilemma out...

How about we look at some launch photos and see how much different tires deflect the sidewall. Can you guess which one is on radials? Remember, look at the sidewall flex, that is what is absorbing the shock load.
You are getting confused and lost in your own argument. Which tire absorbs more shock is not what is being debated. What is being said is a 28" DR should be absolutely fine at the OP's power levels because of the tall sidewall as well as giving an example of trans brake cars running astronomical ET's at far higher power levels doing just fine without suffering the "carnage" you want to preach. I am also saying that with what limited knowledge you have displayed in threads like this and others, there's no way you can guarantee "carnage will ensue...." So with that being said, you still have not proven how you can be sure of your ensuing carnage claims. Care to try again?

You have avoided answering as to whether or not it was you I read about owning a single digit Supra. Was I reading that right?

Last edited by SS RRR; 02-10-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are getting confused and lost in your own argument. Which tire absorbs more shock is not what is being debated. What is being said is a 28" DR should be absolutely fine at the OP's power levels because of the tall sidewall as well as giving an example of trans brake cars running astronomical ET's at far higher power levels doing just fine without suffering the "carnage" you want to preach. I am also saying that with what limited knowledge you have displayed in threads like this and others, there's no way you can guarantee "carnage will ensue...." So with that being said, you still have not proven how you can be sure of your ensuing carnage claims. Care to try again?

You have avoided answering as to whether or not it was you I read about owning a single digit Supra. Was I reading that right?
So, you dragged this thread out 5 pages over semantics?

I'm not getting confused. You are getting hung up. If the weatherman says there is a 90% chance of rain, I say it will rain, bring an umbrella or you will get wet. You say, F the umbrella it isn't going to rain. Sure, there is a 10% chance it will not rain but it is just slightly more likely that it will...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 05HD
So, you dragged this thread out 5 pages over semantics?
Not at all. I will dumb it down for you:
You make guarantees that "carnage will ensue" if a DR is used. You boast about 15 years of parts breaking experience. I question your claims as well as stating how a 28" DR should be fine for the power levels the OP is at, give examples why, and because of your ridiculousness in other threads and this one, call you a hack and question your abilities and "knowledge" which, you still have not proven you have any. What I am hung up on the fact that a 28" DR should work fine for the OP for reasons already stated. Would you care to try again?

P.S. So again, refusing to answer whether you owned a single digit Supra.... My guess is you are a groupie of someone who may have talked about owning one at one time. Am I right?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you two sound like husband and wife

hopeless.......lol
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never seen someone so worried bout an e buddy
Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 AM
9 Second Club

hey lawhead hows the car comming along for the shootout??
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS RRR has an ego issue.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

If you are talkin bout the bolt on class thats done my car lost oil pressure but saving up right now for the rebuild
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not at all. I will dumb it down for you:
You make guarantees that "carnage will ensue" if a DR is used. You boast about 15 years of parts breaking experience. I question your claims as well as stating how a 28" DR should be fine for the power levels the OP is at, give examples why, and because of your ridiculousness in other threads and this one, call you a hack and question your abilities and "knowledge" which, you still have not proven you have any. What I am hung up on the fact that a 28" DR should work fine for the OP for reasons already stated. Would you care to try again?

P.S. So again, refusing to answer whether you owned a single digit Supra.... My guess is you are a groupie of someone who may have talked about owning one at one time. Am I right?
Ah, I see. You have the reading comprehension of a 2 year old with ADD. I specifically said I DON'T have any of that experience. Go back and re-read.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Village Troll

I suppose everything else you've slopped onto this thread has a double meaning as well?
I tried, but it would appear you do not wish to take responsibility for what it is you claim. So we can have a Ward Cleaver moment and to make quik95lt1 happy I have learned something from what you've stated. I've learned you are a very very special person. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose everything else you've slopped onto this thread has a double meaning as well?
I tried, but it would appear you do not wish to take responsibility for what it is you claim. So we can have a Ward Cleaver moment and to make quik95lt1 happy I have learned something from what you've stated. I've learned you are a very very special person. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently!
Thanks sweetheart.

I will get your ritalin prescription filled on the way home from work.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
If you are talkin bout the bolt on class thats done my car lost oil pressure but saving up right now for the rebuild
ughhh that sucks sorry to hear it.......what u doing with it now???
Old 02-11-2011, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

355 forged internals with LE2 HCI package hoping for 11s no where near fast enough for the shootout :\
Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
ughhh that sucks sorry to hear it.......what u doing with it now???
Originally Posted by Lawhead
355 forged internals with LE2 HCI package hoping for 11s no where near fast enough for the shootout :\
This thread has nothing to do with the shootout or rebuilding of engines. I would suggest staying on topic or I will have the both of you banned.

Thank you
Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
SS RRR has an ego issue.
x100

I keep seeing this thread bumped to the top with page after page, and I just knew who HAD to be posting in it to make it this way. Keep in mind he's like 45 years old.

05HD is 100% correct on how to preload a transbrake equipped car. Nobody rolls up to line at an idle and hits the button. If there was ANY sort of slack it would get hammered on the launch. You load it just like you would with the footbrake. People don't run transbrakes to go faster, they do so to be more consistent. Your fingers can react a lot faster and more consistently than your feet can. Some cars are actually quicker off of a foot brake.

Lawhead--go get yourself a junkyard Caprice engine and put some new bearings in it.

gregrob--as said before 28" tires will fit without too much clearancing. Have fun with the S60, it's the best rear imo.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by joelster
05HD is 100% correct on how to preload a transbrake equipped car. Nobody rolls up to line at an idle and hits the button. If there was ANY sort of slack it would get hammered on the launch. You load it just like you would with the footbrake. People don't run transbrakes to go faster, they do so to be more consistent. Your fingers can react a lot faster and more consistently than your feet can. Some cars are actually quicker off of a foot brake.
Can you explain this a little more in detail? From what I understand is when you get to the line, you footbrake to preload the drivetrain, then trigger the transbrake, keep your foot on the brake to keep the tension in the drivetrain until the green light and then simultaneously take foot of the brake while disengaging the transbrake in hopes that you let the brake off the very same instant the transbrake is disengaged?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you explain this a little more in detail? From what I understand is when you get to the line, you footbrake to preload the drivetrain, then trigger the transbrake, keep your foot on the brake to keep the tension in the drivetrain until the green light and then simultaneously take foot of the brake while disengaging the transbrake in hopes that you let the brake off the very same instant the transbrake is disengaged?
Once the transbrake button is pushed, you can let off of the footbrake. The transbrake holds the car. When you release the button, reverse is dis-engaged.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by joelster
Once the transbrake button is pushed, you can let off of the footbrake. The transbrake holds the car. When you release the button, reverse is dis-engaged.
So how does the drivetrain from the transmission back remain preloaded if you let your foot off the brake once the transbrake is engaged?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Nah ill build me a nice LT1 to play with down in FL

This thread makes me LOL

Quick Reply: help me pick gear / tire