LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Eliminator preview...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cousinit99
I agree, looked like a promising idea..

If I were you guys, I'd check out Dynaspark (http://dynaspark.net/advantage/) because they make a product that's just as sweet and it's about the same price. The "GEN III" is the one you want. FYI, I've been using their GEN I for over 6 years; that's over 70,000 miles and a ****-ton of abuse from weather and cross-country travel. I haven't had to touch it once since I installed it. It has performed ridiculously well, and I haven't been this satisfied with an automotive product in a verry long time. If I weren't upgrading to the GEN III and LS1 coils very soon, it'd probably last forever (minus the cap and rotor obviously). Check 'em out!!

http://dynaspark.net/advantage/
http://dynaspark.net/products/

Dynaspark isnt owned by the same people anymore just FYI. There are a few threads about dynasparks product quality these days.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, Dynaspark is not an "opti-eliminator" it's just another (better built?) opti-spark. I think I'll pass.

FWIW, my car already had an MSD opti when I got it 13k miles ago and it works great, BUT I still worry about it since I have heard their track record isn't that good either.

I'm still hoping Steve get's this worked out. It looks like it was really off to a great start and the prototype parts look like quality stuff. IDK why some people were giving him a hard time.

IMO, going 24x is just too expensive for the average LT1 owner who just wants reliability.

Tinbender's Vortec distributor & 411 pcm conversion looks promising too. I also don't understand why his thread hasn't gotten more interest. Most who have went 24x or plan to go have stated the main reason (besides no more opti failure) is the pcm capabilities, but it's the same PCM...so most of the 24x's benefit could be seen for much less money.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
IMO, going 24x is just too expensive for the average LT1 owner who just wants reliability.
There are cost effective ways to utilize the 24x set-up. Got to be willing to do some work though...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
There are cost effective ways to utilize the 24x set-up. Got to be willing to do some work though...
I already have some coil packs. Making brackets would be easy enough. I already have a 97 model, so the front timing cover is covered. I'm not sure what all that leaves, but just a wiring harness and pcm aren't cheap....plus I will either have to buy software and learn to tune or pay someone else to do it. I do realize that alot of the $$ I mention also applies to the vortec dist conversion....and that tuning an obd2 lt1 costs about the same, but I switched to obd1 for less than $50 and a friend tuned it for free. (Not much to do since it's bolt on only at the moment.) I would think that I would have to invest a good bit for a base tune even with a stock lt1 and an ls1 computer.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

LS1 pcm's are like $100 or less...re-pinning the harness is a huge cost savings too.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Vortec dizzy 411 conversion looks to be very interesting on the price:performance standpoint, but I just hate the thought of shoehorning a dizzy under a 4th gen cowl. Maintenance like cap/rotor changes will be a PITA, if even possible with the engine in the car. It is clearly the cheapest route for an LS pcm setup though.

Ideally the full 24x conversion kit looks the most appealing, but its big $$$...enough to be poking into aftermarket options like used Gen7s, or XFIs. Especially for people like myself whose ancient abused harness is not trustworthy enough to be repinned and put into a brand new engine.

My choices are to lose some hair and make a custom harness myself from scratch, purchase a used/ebay/junkyard harness and hope its in usable condition to repin, or shell out big bucks for a company like EFI Connections or ProJection to make a harness for me. None or those options are too appealing.

Hopefully Wicked comes through with this cheaper "Opti-trigger" setup to run a 411 PCM without a rear mounted dizzy or a drastically modified harness.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
The Vortec dizzy 411 conversion looks to be very interesting on the price:performance standpoint, but I just hate the thought of shoehorning a dizzy under a 4th gen cowl. Maintenance like cap/rotor changes will be a PITA, if even possible with the engine in the car. It is clearly the cheapest route for an LS pcm setup though.

Ideally the full 24x conversion kit looks the most appealing, but its big $$$...enough to be poking into aftermarket options like used Gen7s, or XFIs. Especially for people like myself whose ancient abused harness is not trustworthy enough to be repinned and put into a brand new engine.

My choices are to lose some hair and make a custom harness myself from scratch, purchase a used/ebay/junkyard harness and hope its in usable condition to repin, or shell out big bucks for a company like EFI Connections or ProJection to make a harness for me. None or those options are too appealing.

Hopefully Wicked comes through with this cheaper "Opti-trigger" setup to run a 411 PCM without a rear mounted dizzy or a drastically modified harness.
I'm hoping the same thing. On the vortec distributor subject. They are extremely short with horizontal towers. From the pics, they are no taller than the lt1 intake manifold. Cap & rotor swaps shouldn't be too bad, but pulling the distributor would be an issue I bet. On the plus side.....it should eliminate oil pump drive gear problems that alot are having.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Nope, sorry I've been busy moving/interviewing for jobs. It's kinda on hold right now until I get my living situation stabilized again. I'll update when I get some time to work on it...
I can't believe I didnt see this thread long ago... I am running a dfi setup and will soon have a crank trigger from msd or an ATI shell with embedded magnets for crank pickup but wanted something better than the dual sync for cam pickup. If you can make me a cam pickup (believe its a 1x for cam I forget) that would be phenomenal. A crank pickup as well would be cool too if possible inside the housing (although I like the idea of seperate triggers).

If you ask me, I think people using an XFi or DFI can benefit from this setup the most. Dual sync and dizzy failures are common place and it sucks to get stranded.

If you can do this.. my paypal is ready Good luck get your stuff sorted and I hope to hear from you soon !!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cousinit99
I agree, looked like a promising idea..

If I were you guys, I'd check out Dynaspark (http://dynaspark.net/advantage/) because they make a product that's just as sweet and it's about the same price. The "GEN III" is the one you want. FYI, I've been using their GEN I for over 6 years; that's over 70,000 miles and a ****-ton of abuse from weather and cross-country travel. I haven't had to touch it once since I installed it. It has performed ridiculously well, and I haven't been this satisfied with an automotive product in a verry long time. If I weren't upgrading to the GEN III and LS1 coils very soon, it'd probably last forever (minus the cap and rotor obviously). Check 'em out!!

http://dynaspark.net/advantage/
http://dynaspark.net/products/
Since the thread was already...

Dynaspark has gone downhill ever since it was sold by Dynotech Engineering back in ~2006. If you bought your unit prior to that time, you may have the desired Mitsubishi optical sensor and I would suspect it could last a long time. Their current units have been value-engineered to cut costs (and cut quality), plus they utilize an inferior optical sensor - The same sensor that can be had in a $100-$150 Optispark repalcement. With their current design, and inability to properly support the product, there isn't much of a reason to consider a new Dynsapark with the alternatives that are still available. (Click the link in my sig if you want to read more.)

EDIT: The Dynaspark "advantage" page hasn't been updated in years and still has inaccurate information. For example, on rotors: "...balanced to 6800 RPM" - There is no evidence of this at all. All they do is drill out a plastic rivet and replace it with an aluminum rivet.

Last edited by jb442; 08-22-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
I can't believe I didnt see this thread long ago... I am running a dfi setup and will soon have a crank trigger from msd or an ATI shell with embedded magnets for crank pickup but wanted something better than the dual sync for cam pickup. If you can make me a cam pickup (believe its a 1x for cam I forget) that would be phenomenal. A crank pickup as well would be cool too if possible inside the housing (although I like the idea of seperate triggers).

If you ask me, I think people using an XFi or DFI can benefit from this setup the most. Dual sync and dizzy failures are common place and it sucks to get stranded.

If you can do this.. my paypal is ready Good luck get your stuff sorted and I hope to hear from you soon !!
Dude....have you not read through this? Wicked is gone, no longer contributing to LS1tech. The chances of him completing this project are slim to none.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by qc97z
Dude....have you not read through this? Wicked is gone, no longer contributing to LS1tech. The chances of him completing this project are slim to none.
Just because he is not on LS1tech doesn't mean he isn't working on LT stuff anymore.

He just doesn't post here...and I can't really blame him sometimes .
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Has anyone ever thought of running a northstar ign system? They use them on boat motors to eliminate the opti all together.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
Just because he is not on LS1tech doesn't mean he isn't working on LT stuff anymore.

He just doesn't post here...and I can't really blame him sometimes .
True. I stand corrected. And I also agree with you. I get sick of the overgrown children on here sometimes as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Has anyone ever thought of running a northstar ign system? They use them on boat motors to eliminate the opti all together.

Believe that is much of what the defunct Delteq system did.

FWIW I have never had an opti failure, and taken Delco units unmodified to 7000rpm.
IMO on all but the wildest setups the wrench behind the opti is the problem, not the opti.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

there was actually a guy local to me a few years back tryin to research it. he had started on a prototype and got called an idiot for tryin to come up with his own solution and never heard about it again.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Like stated, that is essentially the Delteq system. It had its own problems, like seemingly every opti solution before the 24x.

I've never had an opti failure myself, but I can't fault people for wanting to get rid of it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Believe that is much of what the defunct Delteq system did.

FWIW I have never had an opti failure, and taken Delco units unmodified to 7000rpm.
IMO on all but the wildest setups the wrench behind the opti is the problem, not the opti.
Where are you getting Delco units at? I bought one from an Ac Delco distributor and the box said Delco, opti said Delphi. It lasted less than 2k miles, carbon tracking in the cap.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Delco=Delphi.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is dead so untill the OP restarts the thread why do people keep bitching about it? Only way to get rid of the OPTI saga is to do the 24x. Delco opti or not there a timebomb waiting to explode just a matter of time before it goes. Could be first crank or 200,000 miles its never a guarantee.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is the kind of stupidity that breeds around these parts. If a distributor lasts 200K that is proof of an excellent piece. A distributor cap and rotor are wear items, and cheap ones at that compared to the hoops people jump through to avoid it.

Far as carbon tracking try upgrading to a vented setup either the GM parts or with the MSD cap and rotor kit that retrofits a vent to the "unvented" style opti.

Quick Reply: Opti Eliminator preview...