LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Eliminator preview...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive only had one Opti let go after a few 7k pulls one day. The rotor just came off, but it was factory stock and I didnt use green loctite lol
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
This thread is dead so untill the OP restarts the thread why do people keep bitching about it? Only way to get rid of the OPTI saga is to do the 24x. Delco opti or not there a timebomb waiting to explode just a matter of time before it goes. Could be first crank or 200,000 miles its never a guarantee.
Just because the OP is not posting here doesn't mean this isn't still in development. Does every manufacturer start a thread on prototype parts on LS1tech? IDK about anyone else, but I keep up with this thread on the chance we'll get an update, and because I don't have time to keep up with the other site he's on and this one.

Also....Tinbender built a good example of getting rid of the opti without going to 24x. I'm not against 24x...just saying there are other choices. For that matter, you could easily run an LT1 off a TPI PCM, harness, and distributor. You'd lose ease of tuning and some other advancements, but you would gain reliability. I've never seen it done, but I know it would work fine.

As far as ticking time bomb @ 200,000 miles...ANY automotive part is bound to give trouble of some sort at that kind of milege.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
That is the kind of stupidity that breeds around these parts. If a distributor lasts 200K that is proof of an excellent piece. A distributor cap and rotor are wear items, and cheap ones at that compared to the hoops people jump through to avoid it.

Far as carbon tracking try upgrading to a vented setup either the GM parts or with the MSD cap and rotor kit that retrofits a vent to the "unvented" style opti.
I agree and haven't had an opti failure myself, but I have experienced short term (few miles only) missfires after running through a deep puddle or two. Sometimes only hitting standing water at speed. My opti is vented too. It does make me wonder and worry a little each time it happens. Will it dry out and work again this time?? I'm not crazy about having that in the back of my mind....or knowing how many people really do have problems. I do believe alot are installer error and alot more are misdiagnosed, but they still have a fairly high failure rate overall. I've mistaken bad plug wires for a bad opti myself. Luckily I checked them with an ohm meter before tearing it down.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
That is the kind of stupidity that breeds around these parts. If a distributor lasts 200K that is proof of an excellent piece. A distributor cap and rotor are wear items, and cheap ones at that compared to the hoops people jump through to avoid it.

Far as carbon tracking try upgrading to a vented setup either the GM parts or with the MSD cap and rotor kit that retrofits a vent to the "unvented" style opti.
It is a vented opti on a 95. It now has a pro billet on it. So a dizzy lasting 1500 miles is proof of a good part That's the kind of stupidity that comes out of your post.

Still not sure where you are getting an ac delco opti????? More stupidity getting spread around teh interwebzzzz
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Launching!

I got a delco from here

http://www.factorymotorparts.com/
Old 10-01-2011, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Updates?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Just because the OP is not posting here doesn't mean this isn't still in development. Does every manufacturer start a thread on prototype parts on LS1tech? IDK about anyone else, but I keep up with this thread on the chance we'll get an update, and because I don't have time to keep up with the other site he's on and this one.

Also....Tinbender built a good example of getting rid of the opti without going to 24x. I'm not against 24x...just saying there are other choices. For that matter, you could easily run an LT1 off a TPI PCM, harness, and distributor. You'd lose ease of tuning and some other advancements, but you would gain reliability. I've never seen it done, but I know it would work fine.

As far as ticking time bomb @ 200,000 miles...ANY automotive part is bound to give trouble of some sort at that kind of milege.

I agree and haven't had an opti failure myself, but I have experienced short term (few miles only) missfires after running through a deep puddle or two. Sometimes only hitting standing water at speed. My opti is vented too. It does make me wonder and worry a little each time it happens. Will it dry out and work again this time?? I'm not crazy about having that in the back of my mind....or knowing how many people really do have problems. I do believe alot are installer error and alot more are misdiagnosed, but they still have a fairly high failure rate overall. I've mistaken bad plug wires for a bad opti myself. Luckily I checked them with an ohm meter before tearing it down.
Im running a boosted 383LT1 with a MSD Pro Billet Distrib. off a 92 TPI harness with custom $59 code. (www.code59.org) works great. Don't have to worry about Opti . The tuning isnt as sinple as flashing the pcm like an lt1. but I do have a autoprom. so I can real time tune. Then just burn a chip ad done. Im actually looking into the "411" lsX ecm conversion with out the 24x stuff and price tag.

Its good to see ANY opti alternatives for people who don't want to chance going thru a few bad optis.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates on this now that you are back?

Quick Reply: Opti Eliminator preview...