LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ralls, thanks for the pics! I still have my stock accessory bracket as well. W/ the speed inc unit I'd no longer would have a tensioner if I were to use the gz vac unit in some way. As for the the pulley hitting the frame, I can see what you're talking about. I could maybe notch the frame though if I went this route however. Do you know if they have a different pump that could work w/ a 6.8 pulley? May have to contact ATI about a custom balancer as I wasn't aware they did this....
Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

PM sent
Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got four brackets made. Well I'm keeping one . Let me know if anyone wants one.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Teching In

looks great...cant wait to get mine
Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Just got off the phone w/ Bill at GZ...not looking good for me. The main problem w/ me going w/ a smaller crank pulley is my xfi box. Really fickle when the voltage being fed to it isn't adequate. Smallest I can go w/out issue is 6.7 on the crank pulley. Going w/ mp's style requires too much work to include moving the rad forward (getting a new rad etc) custom bracketing. Looks like I'm out and will just have to just use my existing catch cans. ARGH!

Sorry Ralls but thanks for the help!

Silas,
Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
Just got off the phone w/ Bill at GZ...not looking good for me. The main problem w/ me going w/ a smaller crank pulley is my xfi box. Really fickle when the voltage being fed to it isn't adequate. Smallest I can go w/out issue is 6.7 on the crank pulley. Going w/ mp's style requires too much work to include moving the rad forward (getting a new rad etc) custom bracketing. Looks like I'm out and will just have to just use my existing catch cans. ARGH!

Silas,
Is it just because of the alternator output when using a smaller crank pulley? You can't get a smaller alternator pulley like I did?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SRZ

Silas,
what issues are you running into??? i run the xfi on mine and havent had any problems like that and i run a 6.5" balancer on mine....
Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great boss, what vacuum pump are you running
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ralls
Is it just because of the alternator output when using a smaller crank pulley? You can't get a smaller alternator pulley like I did?
What size is your alt pulley? Even still, what size would that vac pulley be then? All the brackets spoken for? This is still going to end up being a costly affair. LOL
Originally Posted by quik95lt1
what issues are you running into??? i run the xfi on mine and havent had any problems like that and i run a 6.5" balancer on mine....
Well, that gives me hope then. How many volts are you actually seeing on your XFI?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
What size is your alt pulley? Even still, what size would that vac pulley be then? All the brackets spoken for? This is still going to end up being a costly affair. LOL
The stock alternator pulley is about 2.5". The smaller one I have is about 1.75"

What I'm getting from you is, anything less than a 6.7" crank pulley will have poor voltage output from the alternator to support your XFI. But did you take into account a smaller alt pulley to increase the voltage back to normal??
Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

The stock alternator pulley is about 2.5". The smaller one I have is about 1.75"

What I'm getting from you is, anything less than a 6.7" crank pulley will have poor voltage output from the alternator to support your XFI. But did you take into account a smaller alt pulley to increase the voltage back to normal??
Correct on the 6.7 and nope on taking into account on a smaller alt pulley. So are all the brackets spoken for? I'm off the grid for wk starting Fri but if they're not all spoken for, I'll take one have payment ready upon my return. Or I'll just wait for the next batch to be made.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
Correct on the 6.7 and nope on taking into account on a smaller alt pulley. So are all the brackets spoken for? I'm off the grid for wk starting Fri but if they're not all spoken for, I'll take one have payment ready upon my return. Or I'll just wait for the next batch to be made.
I have two brackets left plus the original. I'll make sure you get one. Did you still want me to make another one of those alternator support brackets aswell?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

I have two brackets left plus the original. I'll make sure you get one. Did you still want me to make another one of those alternator support brackets aswell?
Yes on the alt support bracket, and thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing. New motor makes so much crankcase pressure, I'm going to have to do something about it.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I finally have my new motor done, but it still needs tuned so I have only idled the car and reved it a few times. It seems like the vacuum pump is working good. There was only a little bit of blowby smoke out the breather when warming up the car on this brand new motor. The last motor was smoking out the valve cover breathers all the time.

One thing I added was a support bracket on the back of the pump. It's a flat piece of steel that connects to one of the header bolts and to the back of the pump. Reason being, the pump was shaking with the engine running. It's nice and solid with the added support.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates on this?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Launching!

I'm having problems with my new motor pushing oil out of the front and rear seals and out of the filler neck on the valve cover. The car is a street car though, any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by killerz97
I'm having problems with my new motor pushing oil out of the front and rear seals and out of the filler neck on the valve cover. The car is a street car though, any suggestions?
If you have the proper ventilation for normal crankcase pressures then you need to do a leakdown.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been using the vac pump for a couple thousand miles now. Its been working awesome so far. Pulls 5in/Hg idle and 9in/Hg WOT.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

I've been using the vac pump for a couple thousand miles now. Its been working awesome so far. Pulls 5in/Hg idle and 9in/Hg WOT.
I meant to ask you about that; I have mine installed, but have not put the belt on because I was going to put the relief valve in the other VC.
From what I've seen, the kit they sell for the LT1 should never get anywhere near needing that valve.

Quick Reply: LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development