LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development

Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development

I have been exchanging ideas with GZ Motorsports about making a crankcase vacuum pump kit for a f-body LT1. My approach is the mount it where the A/C compressor was. So this would only be for people without A/C. The idea is to have it running off the serpentine belt with the alternator and power steering in the stock location.

I'm in need of some help right now. My engine is at the machine shop otherwise I would do this myself. We need to find out how far out the vacuum pump can sit without hitting the frame rail or anything else that could hit it. I think the best reference point would be the distance from the frame to the A/C mounting bolts (on the accessory bracket). If anyone can measure that for me I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone running a vacuum pump has long deleted A/C and almost certainly power steering as they're not doing much street driving, so they're probably running a low mount alternator. Those guys would be stuck running a mandrel/gilmer belt setup on the drivers side as a common belt with the alternator wouldn't have enough crank pulley contact area.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
everyone running a vacuum pump has long deleted A/C and almost certainly power steering as they're not doing much street driving, so they're probably running a low mount alternator. Those guys would be stuck running a mandrel/gilmer belt setup on the drivers side as a common belt with the alternator wouldn't have enough crank pulley contact area.
Can't almost all cars see gains from a vacuum setup? This could be interesting for the A/C less cars too.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

yes, but they're not meant for a daily driver type. They build a lot of heat in the pump depending on how much vacuum you're pulling, and how long/hard (yes long and hard ) you're running them. The biggest benefits are seen when you're running an appropriate ring package, and pulling say 15+" or so. But at that level you're looking at wristpin problems (lack of oiling) with extended run time, and sucking a substantial amount of oil out of the crankcase. At lower levels of depression you'll still see benefits, but for 800 bucks I can think of quite a few alternatives on a street car.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Not trying to **** on the idea. But even for my motor there's other things that I'd rather spend my money on. Vacuum pump will be up there with an accusump, gun drilled axles, lightened R&P, etc when I have to actually look hard for every hundredth.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
I agree. There are SBC brackets that will bolt right to our motors if your willing to relocate/delete accessories. I myself would put the pump on the driver's side head if I had the room. But I have a turbo sitting right there.

I'm trying to get this kit made because it's the ONLY place I have available for MY motor. And if someone else can benefit from this, great.

Vacuum pumps are pretty helpful if your running a lot of boost. Increased ring seal which reduces blow by. No more over pressurizing the crankcase and blowing oil out of seals.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

got it, it would be good for the forced induction guys, assuming this will be with one of their "street" pumps.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

I've been running one on my street car for 3 years and it is still pulling 15 inches of vaccum. GZ made the kit for my LT1 setup,no power steering or A/C.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tensec94z
I've been running one on my street car for 3 years and it is still pulling 15 inches of vaccum. GZ made the kit for my LT1 setup,no power steering or A/C.
where are you pulling from... baffled valvecovers? Lifter valley?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Pulling from a bung welded in the front of the passenger valve cover,no baffle,I street drive this thing so the pump needs the oil mist.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tensec94z
Pulling from a bung welded in the front of the passenger valve cover,no baffle,I street drive this thing so the pump needs the oil mist.
Post some pics! You and one other person are the only ones I know who run the GZ setup (cz28 member mzgpx5 http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...p%204th%20gen/). This is a good thing to have if you're FI and I've been wanting one for too long as it is.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For street NA motors that have some blowby, what about a WOT switched electric pump? It could use a WOT switch from a nitrous setup then at WOT, when pressure is built up, the pump would kick on to pull the vacuum on the crankcase?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
Post some pics! You and one other person are the only ones I know who run the GZ setup (cz28 member mzgpx5 http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...p%204th%20gen/). This is a good thing to have if you're FI and I've been wanting one for too long as it is.
Yeh mzgpx5 is the only person I have seen using a vacuum pump on an LT1 that wasn't stripped down to just a alternator and VP. But his setup is crazy complicated and also requires a vertical radiator.

I've been wanting to put a VP on my car for so long. I gave up on the idea because there wasn't any kit that would work for my setup. I started brain storming again and made some measurements to find out a vacuum pump would fit nicely where the A/C was.
I just need that measurement before I can go any further.

What's your setup like SRZ? Would my idea work for you too?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:52 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralls
Yeh mzgpx5 is the only person I have seen using a vacuum pump on an LT1 that wasn't stripped down to just a alternator and VP. But his setup is crazy complicated and also requires a vertical radiator.

I've been wanting to put a VP on my car for so long. I gave up on the idea because there wasn't any kit that would work for my setup. I started brain storming again and made some measurements to find out a vacuum pump would fit nicely where the A/C was.
I just need that measurement before I can go any further.

What's your setup like SRZ? Would my idea work for you too?
I'm just running two vented catch cans, one for each VC. No AC and the alt located at the bottom which could easily go back to stock if this system existed for us. I only see roughly 9-11" of vac @ idle and the cam is similiar to a CC306, not big at all.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ralls, I am TOTALLY on board for this. IF these go into production, I will purchase one for sure. I need one for my Z. By the way, nice avatar. TOOL FTMFW!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great idea, I have been trying to figure this out for a while myself. Us boosted guys need a solution like this, since the drivers side is taken up by the s/c or turbo. I agree Jen, tool is awesome.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about us guys with street cars and full accessories, I have the Speed Inc accesory relocation kit that keeps ac and ps but moves the alt to drivers side lower, would a vac pump fit where the alt used to be? Also what's the max vac you guys would run on a dd n/a engine?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
What about us guys with street cars and full accessories, I have the Speed Inc accesory relocation kit that keeps ac and ps but moves the alt to drivers side lower, would a vac pump fit where the alt used to be? Also what's the max vac you guys would run on a dd n/a engine?
Mine is a street car too, but I can live without AC. I think your suppose to stay below 15" of vacuum for a street wet sump.
With how your accessories are mounted, you would need the vacuum pump kit that puts it on the driver's side head. You would only need to relocated your coil/icm which is not difficult.

Does anyone know how close the frame is to the A/C mounting bracket??
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great because I'm not running the LT1 ignition anymore, I have the EFI Connections 24x kit with 8 LS2 coils. Do you have a pn for the street vacuum pump kit that mounts to the drivers side head and maybe some pics, thanks?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, I'd need to know more about it for a daily driver, but I do have all AC removed except for the pulley, as I never did get the delete pulley for it. So it would work for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development