LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good ****, looking forward to seeing the end result. Need one of these for sure.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a number of people re-purposing their AIR pump, and hooking it into the engine as a vacuum pump, the turbo buick guys and some of the dirt guys use this method
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by projektnitemare13
I've seen a number of people re-purposing their AIR pump, and hooking it into the engine as a vacuum pump, the turbo buick guys and some of the dirt guys use this method
I didn't think the AIR pump could pull enough vacuum
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

honestly, I kind of kick myself for not picking the dudes brain over it when I saw it. But, from what I've read online people have been using them as a vacuum pump, now whether it only pulls enough to make up for a silly cam, or it can actually create some serious crankcase vacuum I'm not sure, all I know is he had it plumbed in, and one of the pics in his build book showed it and called it his engine vaccum pump. Like I said, still kick myself for not learning more.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by projektnitemare13
honestly, I kind of kick myself for not picking the dudes brain over it when I saw it. But, from what I've read online people have been using them as a vacuum pump, now whether it only pulls enough to make up for a silly cam, or it can actually create some serious crankcase vacuum I'm not sure, all I know is he had it plumbed in, and one of the pics in his build book showed it and called it his engine vaccum pump. Like I said, still kick myself for not learning more.
Lke this?
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gen...-pump-how.html
Old 03-22-2011, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

I would have to say I think that is exactly what they were doing, it was on a GN and looked to be routed similarly, if nto identically.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

It came in the mail today. It's just a rough cut prototype for now. I still do not have my motor back from the machine shop so I can't test fit it yet.

This billet 7.5" pulley may or may not be able to be used. I got it anyways just to see if it will fit without hitting things like the hood or power steering pump. I'm pretty sure it will hit the power steering pulley though. The other pulley option is a 5.7" smog pump pulley that can be bought at any auto store for $20.

Here is a comparison of the alternator and vacuum pump:

The vacuum pump sticks out LESS than the LT1 bracket, whereas the alternator sticks out a few inches. The AN fitting isn't screwed in all the way mind you. Point is, people should be able to use tall valve covers without hitting the pump!

I'm going get started on modifying the accessory bracket for the alternator relocation.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool beans but I'm going to try using my air pump for now since I have the SpeedInc accessory brackets I may as well get some use from the air pump.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, this is looking very promising!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finished my alternator relocation. Pretty simple really.
All I had to buy was a 1-1/2" angled aluminum 1/8" thick piece from home depot and one nut & bolt.
Any alternator relocation will work as long as you still have a way to adjust the belt. Just ask if you have any questions on how I did mine.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Any updates?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

My motor is finished at the machine shop so I'm going to pick it up this Saturday. Once I have the motor I'll test fit everything to make sure it's all good. Also, it turns out GZ Motorsports isn't interested in mass producting this bracket. I guess the LT1 community isn't big enough. If you guys are still interested I can find a shop that can make CNC duplicates of it. It's a very simple design really so hopefully it will be cheap to produce. I'm not trying to make any profit off of it. Just pay me whatever it costs me to buy it.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Definitely in for one. Now the bracket you are referring to, is this the bracket you built to mount your alternator? What size was the belt for that to begin with?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
Definitely in for one. Now the bracket you are referring to, is this the bracket you built to mount your alternator? What size was the belt for that to begin with?
No, the bracket for the vacuum pump. The one in the first picture on post #47.

I still haven't figured out the belt length. It's going to vary from car to car depending on where you mount the alternator. I could tell you what length it is if you mount the alternator like I did.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So far so good. Check it out.

I had to throw in a few pictures of my new motor
Taller valve covers will easily clear (the AN fitting is off to the side).
I was trying to get a belt but I can't find any local at all... only on summit racing. It needs to be a little longer like 64.25in or 64.5in.

The only thing I'm not 100% positive on, is whether or not it will clear the hood. If my measurements are correct it should clear. I need to put the motor in just to be sure.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Teching In

This thread has helped me out...I have a lt1 with a turbo and I have a blow by problem and need a vacuum pump also.. Ralls ill be contacting you for details if that's ok
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown450r
This thread has helped me out...I have a lt1 with a turbo and I have a blow by problem and need a vacuum pump also.. Ralls ill be contacting you for details if that's ok
That's cool with me.

I double checked some measurements and found out it should clear the hood no problem. It actually came out to be like 1/8" lower than the stock alternator height.

I'm going to find a machine shop around here that can replicate this vacuum pump mounting bracket for those interested in this setup.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Teching In

im interested...i will buy all the brackets if you can tell me exactly what i need to do.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Teching In

So the alternator is in the ac pump original place and the vacuum pump will sit where the alternator was. what size of belt did you have to go with ? Also what kind of vacuum pump did you use? Man this is great , exactly what my car needs to quit spewing oil everywhere!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown450r
So the alternator is in the ac pump original place and the vacuum pump will sit where the alternator was. what size of belt did you have to go with ? Also what kind of vacuum pump did you use? Man this is great , exactly what my car needs to quit spewing oil everywhere!
To my surprise, the stock length (64") belt fit perfectly. But that's if you use everything I used. My crank balancer diameter is 5.7" (ASP945100), smaller diameter alternator pulley from ASP, and the 5.69" diameter vacuum pump pulley(300-912). You don't have to get my exact crank pulley, but you need something 5.7" or smaller so you don't over spin the vacuum pump.

The pump I used is from GZ Motorsports. Part number VP101A. I would not recommend getting VP102. It's the same pump but puts the exhaust outlet fitting in a place that might hit the accessory bracket. You might be able to use a 45* fitting to make it fit but I would just use the VP101A.

Sorry I have not found anyone to duplicate the bracket yet. It's kinda hard when all the shops are only open when I'm at work myself. I'll try harder guys.

I got my new valve covers in the mail and some more AN fittings. Next step is to powdercoat all those scratched up black parts

Quick Reply: LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development