LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great..I need some larger valve covers also...where did you get those? They look good..how much vacuum do those pumps pull? Do you think it would be a enough for mine with the turbo? I hope you find a shop that can make those brackets ..let me know how much or if I can help you with any expense ..this will help me out big time.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blown450r
Looks great..I need some larger valve covers also...where did you get those? They look good..how much vacuum do those pumps pull? Do you think it would be a enough for mine with the turbo? I hope you find a shop that can make those brackets ..let me know how much or if I can help you with any expense ..this will help me out big time.
The claim 15-20 on the VP101 in a LT1.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ralls
To my surprise, the stock length (64") belt fit perfectly. But that's if you use everything I used. My crank balancer diameter is 5.7" (ASP945100), smaller diameter alternator pulley from ASP, and the 5.69" diameter vacuum pump pulley(300-912). You don't have to get my exact crank pulley, but you need something 5.7" or smaller so you don't over spin the vacuum pump.

The pump I used is from GZ Motorsports. Part number VP101A. I would not recommend getting VP102. It's the same pump but puts the exhaust outlet fitting in a place that might hit the accessory bracket. You might be able to use a 45* fitting to make it fit but I would just use the VP101A.

Sorry I have not found anyone to duplicate the bracket yet. It's kinda hard when all the shops are only open when I'm at work myself. I'll try harder guys.

I got my new valve covers in the mail and some more AN fittings. Next step is to powdercoat all those scratched up black parts

Did you get the alternator pulley and the vacuum pump pulley from ASP?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is kinda funny. I went back to my email to see how much the valve covers cost and JUST realized they sent my the wrong ones! I was looking at a lot of different ones and didn't even notice they were different until now. I already cut holes in them for the oil fill cap and AN bung. These are the ones that I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2000&viewitem=
Oh well.. so to answer your question they are $60 valve covers from ebay. The quality is amazing. I've had canton's before and these are just as nice.

I don't expect this pump to not be able to pull enough vacuum. In fact you need to use a regulator to keep it from pulling TOO much. Do not go over 15" of vacuum. I'm going to set mine to 12". That colorful red & blue **** is my regulator. I bought it from STAR Machine because I like their regulators better. I also bought their -10AN bung with baffle (on valve cover) and their bolt-on oil fill cap.

Actually, call up GZ Motorsports and see if they will make this bracket for you. I donno if they kept a template or not. They didn't sound interested in making a bunch of them but it's worth a shot. Just ask for Greg Zucco and mention my name "Ralls."
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you get the alternator pulley and the vacuum pump pulley from ASP?
Alternator pulley is from ASP. Vacuum pump pulley from Advance Auto Parts. It's just a replacement pulley for smog pumps.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Teching In

I was wondering how those valve covers were gonna work ...mine bolt up totally different. Im still a little confused at what brackets i need. Im going to copy your exact setup.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Teching In

i work in metal fabrication, if i had the actual brackets or a blue print of the brackets i could get them made.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok everyone. I found a shop that can make the vacuum pump bracket. They will cost me $75 each. Which is pretty damn good considering I payed $100 for mine. Those who are interested in this setup should contact me asap. Even if you don't plan on buying the vacuum pump, fittings, breather, etc right now, I would suggest to at least get this bracket now because I don't plan on doing this very long.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

PM sent!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the parts that I used.

-GZ Motorsports Vacuum pump (VP101A)
-Dorman 5.69" vacuum pump pulley from local parts store (300-912)
-Custom vacuum pump bracket
-ASP 5.7" crankshaft balancer (ASP945100)
-ASP smaller alternator pulley
-Custom alternator bracket
-Stock length serpentine belt
-Star Machine -12AN Female vacuum regulator
-Star Machine -10AN fitting w/ baffle for valve cover
-Moroso breather tank (85402)

AN Fittings:
-12AN X 1/2" MPT 90 degree (out of suction side pump)
-12AN nut X -10AN male swivel reducer (after regulator)
-10AN straight pushlock hose end (after reducer)
-10AN 90 degree pushlock hose end (valve cover)
-10AN X 1/2" MPT 90 degree (out of exhaust side of pump)
-10AN 90 degree pushlock hose end (off exhaust fitting)
-10AN 90 degree pushlock hose end (off breather tank)
-10AN push lose hose (4 feet depending where you mount breather tank)

So that is everything I used. You can do whatever fittings you want. The only reason I mixed -10AN with -12AN is because I had left over -10AN from my other crankcase evac setup. Whatever crank pulley you use, it needs to be 5.7" or smaller so it doesn't over spin the vacuum pump. There are a bunch of vacuum pump regulators out there so use what you want.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the list! May have a problem w/ my setup as I use a ATI dampner and it's 6.75 if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
Thanks for the list! May have a problem w/ my setup as I use a ATI dampner and it's 6.75 if I'm not mistaken.
That's what I was afraid of. I was trying to get that same balancer but I was told I need a smaller one. Your also supercharged so you have another pulley outside for the SC right? Or how is your belt setup? Cog?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ralls
That's what I was afraid of. I was trying to get that same balancer but I was told I need a smaller one. Your also supercharged so you have another pulley outside for the SC right? Or how is your belt setup? Cog?
Yeah, I've got the blower pulley furthest out and it's a 12 rib. Hmmm...there has got to be a solution to this...hate to be this close and it come to this.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
Yeah, I've got the blower pulley furthest out and it's a 12 rib. Hmmm...there has got to be a solution to this...hate to be this close and it come to this.
Does your SC pulley have a spacer off the ATI balancer? I'm trying to see if you could just get a underdrive pulley that would bolt on before the ATI, then ditch the spacer (if you have it) so your SC belt still lines up.
Or could you get rid of your ATI balancer all together? They also do custom balancers.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I have a spacer in between the ATI and blower pulley but just went through great lengths to go crank trigger...so using a UD pulley before the ATI may work. You don't have any charging issues w/ a damper being that small? Is that the stock diameter on a LT1?

Last edited by SRZ; 05-11-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a new balancer for me so I don't know exactly how well the alt will charge. They say that it will fully charge at 800rpm. That's why I got a smaller alternator pulley to compensate for it so it should charge like normal. Stock diameter is 7.5in I think. I have another idea that might let you keep your crank pulley.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

I'm all for ideas...let me know what you're thinking about.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Ralls you have a email
Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
I'm all for ideas...let me know what you're thinking about.
My other idea we discussed didn't quite work out. I was able to mount the vacuum pump where the A/C was. The pump needed to be rotated away from the motor to fit a larger pulley (at least 6.8") if you kept your ATI 6.78" crank pulley. I believe it would be too far out and hit the frame rail. However, it looks like you have the Speed Inc bracket which mounts everything way lower. How close is your alternator to the frame with that bracket? I would use your alternator as a template since they have the same bolt pattern and see if a 6.8" pulley would fit.

Here is the pump mounted below. I had to make spacers but otherwise it was just as easy as mounting it up top.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

daamm all this new thinking keeping the lt1 racing moving with all these improvements maybe someone will bring back makeing the idea of making a bigger motor lt1....

Quick Reply: LT1 Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit in Development