LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone relocate their fuse box or computer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone relocate their fuse box or computer?

Looking to clean up my engine bay a little. Plan on deleting the ABS soon as well, but looks like there is plenty of info on that. Just want to have basically the engine and radiator in the engine bay when the hoods popped. So those that have done it, where did you put everything? Pictures?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely should consider moving the battery back to where the spare tire was. I'm planning on doing that in the future.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phstratton
You definitely should consider moving the battery back to where the spare tire was. I'm planning on doing that in the future.
Already done!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the fuse box relocation. I wanna know how to do that and where to put it cuz this fresh new engine bay looks too good to clutter it up with ****.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
Already done!
What kit did you use?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

I did both last winter. I drilled a hole behind the intake in the firewall large enough to pass the pcm plugs threw and mounted it under the dash and didn't have to extend any wires. If you have heat/ac I'm guessing it would be a major bitch to do. For the fuse box I mounted it under the dash on the driver side out of the way and ran all of the wires in the fender. 6 months after I did it I ripped it all out and put a carb on the car. Probably wouldn't do it again.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

paging "wicked94z"..hopefully he chimes in and send's us some pic's his engine bay looks good!! and lots of relocations....
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wllbndthrw
I did both last winter. I drilled a hole behind the intake in the firewall large enough to pass the pcm plugs threw and mounted it under the dash and didn't have to extend any wires. If you have heat/ac I'm guessing it would be a major bitch to do. For the fuse box I mounted it under the dash on the driver side out of the way and ran all of the wires in the fender. 6 months after I did it I ripped it all out and put a carb on the car. Probably wouldn't do it again.
For the fuse box, did you have to rewire any wires or was there enough? Also how was going to a carb? Pro/Cons?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kit did you use?
Taylor, just one I reused when I put the battery back in the stock location on my GTO. Bought it from Summit 10 years ago.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Teching In

For the fuse box, did you have to rewire any wires or was there enough? Also how was going to a carb? Pro/Cons?
I can't remember 100% but I think I had to extend every wire that went out of the fuse block towards the front of the car they were for the lights mostly and I remember having to extend a few of the large red 12v wires coming out of the box.
The carb swap isn't 100% done yet but it has cost me about double of what I thought I was going to spend. A lot of the reason is because I upgraded things that I don't really need to now so I won't have to do it in the future.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Taylor, just one I reused when I put the battery back in the stock location on my GTO. Bought it from Summit 10 years ago.
Is it pretty easy to relocate it?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Launching!

I am in the process of doing the computer relo and its kind of a pain in the ***, even with everything gutted. But heres some pics for ***** and giggles. I only had to extend like 15 wires the rest I just pulled the pins out of the connecters.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Wow, that looks like alot of work, but looks like it will look nice when finished. Please post updates!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

For sure I will.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

^ Wow, that looks like alot of work, but looks like it will look nice when finished. Please post updates!
x2 and be sure to take lots of pics. You could make a hell of a write up on that.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it pretty easy to relocate it?
Pretty simple. I had another member (Jeremy) on here whos really good with electrical stuff wire it up for me. Here is the diagram I used. (I removed the cutoff switch when I went back to a street car, still have the battery back there)

Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Launching!

x2 and be sure to take lots of pics. You could make a hell of a write up on that.
I got alot more to do thats for sure, Im relocating a bunch of other wires also. Like the ones in front of the windshield wiper resevoir etc. Should be done in about a month, I will take a buch of pics though since people are interested.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OlMastaScrilla
I got alot more to do thats for sure, Im relocating a bunch of other wires also. Like the ones in front of the windshield wiper resevoir etc. Should be done in about a month, I will take a buch of pics though since people are interested.
For sure man! I want to do it. I hate the clutter in my engine bay.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

I relocated the ECM inside the car, in the area where the Hester box used to be.

To save on un-pinning/re-pinning the ECM every time I need to pull the harness (or whatever it may be) I cut a c-shaped hole in the HVAC delete plate, on the side closest to the motor for the harness to pass thru. That way, I can route the harness in the car, bolt the delete plate on, and then plug up the computer. If I have to pull the motor/harness together, I can just unbolt the delete plate, slide it to the side, pull the harness thru, then yank the motor.

I also cut a square hole out in the back side of the driverside strut tower, about even with the factory harness comes through. I also routed my brake lines in that hole too, so everything is hidden when you pop the hood. The brake lines are routed on the frame rails, under the lower radiator support, and to the passenger side caliper, so I can hang the calipers to the side and drop the k member all at once and never lose a drop of brake fluid or re bleed the system.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Nice, Ya I thought about cuttin the corner off of the plate so I didnt have to pull all the pins but decided against it since gettin the plate off is about an equal amount of PITA for me lol. If you could you should take some pics of how you did the brake lines im redoing those at the moment for the abs delete. It would be nice to hide them

Quick Reply: Anyone relocate their fuse box or computer?