LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Has anyone used the McLeod clutch master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone used the McLeod clutch master cylinder?

Got the McLeod/Wilwood adjustable master cylinder bolted in last night but the included rod end is the wrong size for the pin on the clutch pedal. What's the solution for this besides pulling the pedal, removing the pin, and putting a bolt in?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92LT1RS
Got the McLeod/Wilwood adjustable master cylinder bolted in last night but the included rod end is the wrong size for the pin on the clutch pedal. What's the solution for this besides pulling the pedal, removing the pin, and putting a bolt in?
Weird? I installed one on my 95 about 3 years ago and zero issues. The only changes I had to make is eliminate the stock style ubolt clamps to the firewall and went with straight bolts.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Figures. How did you keep the rod end on the clutch pedal pin? I'm assuming a spring clip?

Mine included studs already screwed into the body of the master, so that was nice. Definitely glad to get rid of that craptastic u-bolt.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Figures. How did you keep the rod end on the clutch pedal pin? I'm assuming a spring clip?

Mine included studs already screwed into the body of the master, so that was nice. Definitely glad to get rid of that craptastic u-bolt.
It's been a while so I can't recall completely. However, I do remember that the rod end of the MC piston slips right over the clutch pedal pin. There was a major PIA spring clip you have to install and I had to dislocate my arm and a few joints to get it back on.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

I even pulled the rod end off the rod to make sure and it definitely doesn't slip over the pin on the pedal. This is in a '92 so I guess they changed that on the 4th gens?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I even pulled the rod end off the rod to make sure and it definitely doesn't slip over the pin on the pedal. This is in a '92 so I guess they changed that on the 4th gens?
Well that would have been good info as I bet the 3rd gen is much different on the clutch pedal linkage. Try updating and adding a sig so we know what car you are dealing with.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Well that would have been good info as I bet the 3rd gen is much different on the clutch pedal linkage. Try updating and adding a sig so we know what car you are dealing with.

I thought my name might have given it away In truth though, there shouldn't be any difference since the master cylinder hydraulics were the same all the way up through the LS1 cars. It's the same master for all years.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought my name might have given it away In truth though, there shouldn't be any difference since the master cylinder hydraulics were the same all the way up through the LS1 cars. It's the same master for all years.
Probably so, but I bet the linkage is different between the 3rd and 4th gens. Look at the clutchside of things, as they switched from a push style secondary master cylinder with a clutch arm fork on the lt1s to a hydralic t/o bearring on the ls1's.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried maybe getting your hands on a pedal assembly from an LT1 setup? Or maybe drill out the eylet on the mc rod a bit to help it fit the larger pin from the 3rd gen pedal? Just some ideas.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the McLeod master, it's great. No fitup issues. But since you're in a 3rd gen, I'd say there is a difference in pins. To me, the easiest thing to do would be to drill out the rod end in the master to fit the pin, or replace the rod end with the right size for the pin. Either way, you're going to have to modify something. That's what happens when you do something cool and custom.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Have you tried maybe getting your hands on a pedal assembly from an LT1 setup? Or maybe drill out the eylet on the mc rod a bit to help it fit the larger pin from the 3rd gen pedal? Just some ideas.
I haven't, I'll just use my setup and modify accordingly.

Originally Posted by qc97z
I have the McLeod master, it's great. No fitup issues. But since you're in a 3rd gen, I'd say there is a difference in pins. To me, the easiest thing to do would be to drill out the rod end in the master to fit the pin, or replace the rod end with the right size for the pin. Either way, you're going to have to modify something. That's what happens when you do something cool and custom.
I thought about drilling out the rod eye, but there's just no way to hold it and keep it from spinning to drill it. The problem with rod ends is the eye diameter is the same as the threads, so the next size rod end that would fit has the wrong threads. Might try putting a heli-coil in the next size up.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor

I have never come across this problem. Could you measure the OD of the pin with some calipers and chime back in. We test fit the 86-97 model year units on my 92 camaro but the difference was I am using 95 LT-1 pedals. Didn't think this was a issue.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the McLeod clutch master cylinder?