LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PICS Need help figuring this out Head and intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Building engines are not that hard. If you have the time and space to do it you will save some cash.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Well the tune had just been redone and seemed to working really well. Yea it's really long story as to what happened. Short version is even long lol. Turns out yes no thread sealant on the head bolts which lead to a small steam cloud on a hot start up and lead me to think the head gasket failed. Tore it down to short block and found the heads looking like this. No oil in the PCV system anywhere, but light oil in the intake. It seems to be a general consensus that maybe because the heads where milled and the intake is stock that maybe the intake gaskets were leaking but I see no signs of oil any where on the intake gaskets. I am really starting to think it's the rings but I am not someone who ever messes with bottom ends or even really does anything to the heads other than I could bolt them on. IDK for sure yet I still have to take this thing to someone and let them actually inspect the bottom end and the heads and cam and see what has been done and if it can be undone with out needing new parts. Just been a PIA since the time I said ok to build it. Original builder out sourced it and I don't know who built it but at this point I have to find someone and fix F' ups.....again.
No one is going to be able to tell you anything about your rings that you can't figure out for yourself. Is there still cross hatch in the cylinders? Is there scoring on the cylinder walls that a finger nail catches on? Is your oil pressure low? If no, then most likely your rings are fine. If the heads are milled and the intake is stock then IMO there's no question you had sealing issues and your bottom end is fine.
You take it to someone there is a guarantee they'll find something wrong just to get your money and they may end up screwing **** up more than it already is. I think you are getting ahead of yourself. If LE sold you a pair of heads and told you to slot your bolt holes so a stock intake can bolt onto them and he doesn't tell you the risk of sealing issues he should be punched in the dick.

Last edited by SS RRR; 03-15-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
No one is going to be able to tell you anything about your rings that you can't figure out for yourself. Is there still cross hatch in the cylinders? Is there scoring on the cylinder walls that a finger nail catches on? Is your oil pressure low? If no, then most likely your rings are fine. If the heads are milled and the intake is stock then IMO there's no question you had sealing issues and your bottom end is fine.
You take it to someone there is a guarantee they'll find something wrong just to get your money and they may end up screwing **** up more than it already is. I think you are getting ahead of yourself. If LE sold you a pair of heads and told you to slot your bolt holes so a stock intake can bolt onto them and he doesn't tell you the risk of sealing issues he should be punched in the dick.
I hadn't taken it to anyone yet so yes I see your point and understand why they want to start over. Money money money lol. Yes I asked him if I would have sealing problems with the heads milled and yes he said shouldn't have any. I took the day off from thinking about it today and went fishing. So I think in the next couple of days I am going to go back out and bolt the heads on it and use some clay and see how far off the angle is on the intake to the heads and try and figure it out my self. What do you sugest SS RRR? I'm open to ideas as to how to see if it is the intake.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

There was another person on this forum that was in the same predicament. What was suggested was try to find out exactly how much was milled off the heads. Not sure if LE keeps any sort of record or can remember, but I would call LE first. If the heads were unmolested before LE got ahold of them and he knows how much was milled then it may be easy to figure out how much needs to come off the intake. The only other option to guarantee the heads/intake will seal is to take the engine out and send it to a machine shop along with the heads. Do you know if the intake is bottoming out on the front/back walls of the block when it is set in place?
Regardless... you need to have those heads checked to make sure they are straight so that eliminates that possibility as to why the head gasket blew.

Quick Reply: PICS Need help figuring this out Head and intake