LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PICS Need help figuring this out Head and intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PICS Need help figuring this out Head and intake

Ok tore it down and it looks like I may have more problems then just leaking head gaskets. Found out the head gaskets where leaking on Numbers 7 and 8 cylinders. So.... Why do my heads look like this? I have a slight coating of oil in the intake but the PCV pipes and hoses do NOT have hardley any oil at all in them. I have left them up side down for 2 days and not a drop anywhere and nothing pooled inside. Rings? Why are the intake runners looking like this. Why do the combustion chambers look like this? How bad did I get F'd on this engine or is this normal??? I can't belive it is. Heads are LE2, bottom end is a 383 eagle rotating kit. Here are the pics. Best guestimates as to what my be going on and ways to test it? Please give me your best guess I had it built because I don't set up custom engine combos.

ALL of the exhaust ports look like this

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I would bet your intake gaskets are leaking. Have the heads/intake been milled?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well looks like your burning oil. The one exh valve thats white looks like its been getting hot. Judging by how dry the intake runners are there might be an intake valve sealing issue. Causing the carbon to build up in the intake runners.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Lloyd did mill the heads because he told me the combustion chambers are now like 52.5 CC The intake is stock. But there was NO oil around the intake gaskets at all either on the head flange, intake flange or either side on the intake gaskets. they are compleatley dry. By the way this is only about 4k to 5k miles on this thing. all street use.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Did you do a Cyl leak down test before pulling the heads?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlownEarDrums
Well looks like your burning oil. The one exh valve thats white looks like its been getting hot. Judging by how dry the intake runners are there might be an intake valve sealing issue. Causing the carbon to build up in the intake runners.
You think if he set it up with to much preload on the lifter it may be hanging the valve? If so what kind of damage can be expected if the valve isn't closing all the way? will they need to be reseated if this is the case?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

How far was it milled? Did you slot the intake holes so it seats right? Did you use sealant on the rocker studs that poke through into the runners?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Did you do a Cyl leak down test before pulling the heads?
no because I had steam coming out the exhaust so I only thought it was a leaking head gasket. Then I opened it up lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AChotrod
How far was it milled? Did you slot the intake holes so it seats right? Did you use sealant on the rocker studs that poke through into the runners?
Intake holes where sloted so the heads would seat flat. I don't know I didn't build it by beacuse there was no sealant on the head bolt I doubt it was done on the rocker studs.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

You can see the hole if its in the oily port. Just cant tell from the pic.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jaycenk
You think if he set it up with to much preload on the lifter it may be hanging the valve? If so what kind of damage can be expected if the valve isn't closing all the way? will they need to be reseated if this is the case?
I would send the heads out to a "reputable" shop and have them one overred. There is a possibility that the valve could be damaged or at least have carbon build up preventing it from acquiring a good seal. At worst I could see excessive cam lobe wear and lifter damage in addition to valve and valve seat damage.

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Intake holes where sloted so the heads would seat flat. I don't know I didn't build it by beacuse there was no sealant on the head bolt I doubt it was done on the rocker studs.
Yikes DONT GO BACK TO THEM!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I wonder if blue lock tite counts as sealant...? This could solve my oily intake problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

I can go out pull one of the rocker studs real quick and look but I looked in the runner and dont see them
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

I would send the heads out to a "reputable" shop and have them one overred. There is a possibility that the valve could be damaged or at least have carbon build up preventing it from acquiring a good seal. At worst I could see excessive cam lobe wear and lifter damage in addition to valve and valve seat damage.

Yikes DONT GO BACK TO THEM!!!!
Not going to but like everything I do It is so hard to find a good place. One of the members gave me some names the other day in another thread somewhat close to me so I could call them. They should look fairly clean after that short of milage right? To me these things look like they have been on an engine for 300k miles.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

They just look like they have been running bad. Burning oil creates alot of nasty carbon build up. I'll have to find some pics to show you of some nasty LPG engines with bad rings lol.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Be glad your motor dost look like this one
Attached Thumbnails PICS Need help figuring this out Head and intake-img00615.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

beautimus... Got one quote for 800 buckaroos today. Basically full tear down and start over reussing the existing parts if they are any good still. lol I'm gona go put my head threw a wall now. Everytime I turn around....another grand.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

pcv system still intact,connected and working properly? A catch can should help to prevent this
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

just read no sealant on head bolts?What exactly happened here? You have more info or another thread somewhere? Is it tuned properly?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
just read no sealant on head bolts?What exactly happened here? You have more info or another thread somewhere? Is it tuned properly?
Well the tune had just been redone and seemed to working really well. Yea it's really long story as to what happened. Short version is even long lol. Turns out yes no thread sealant on the head bolts which lead to a small steam cloud on a hot start up and lead me to think the head gasket failed. Tore it down to short block and found the heads looking like this. No oil in the PCV system anywhere, but light oil in the intake. It seems to be a general consensus that maybe because the heads where milled and the intake is stock that maybe the intake gaskets were leaking but I see no signs of oil any where on the intake gaskets. I am really starting to think it's the rings but I am not someone who ever messes with bottom ends or even really does anything to the heads other than I could bolt them on. IDK for sure yet I still have to take this thing to someone and let them actually inspect the bottom end and the heads and cam and see what has been done and if it can be undone with out needing new parts. Just been a PIA since the time I said ok to build it. Original builder out sourced it and I don't know who built it but at this point I have to find someone and fix F' ups.....again.

Quick Reply: PICS Need help figuring this out Head and intake