LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

question about stroker motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about stroker motor

HI guys I'm thinking to get 383 or 396 stroker with around 550-600hp.
I have LT4 heads & intake with compcam cc306 cam. It's for 97 camaro 6spd with 4:11 moser rearend. Should I get the short block and use my lt4 heads and cc306 cam? Or should I get long block? How much roughly it will cost for the motor and where should I get it from? What's the pro and cons for the 383 to the 396? I have 150 shot NOS but I don't use it that much. And I'm from FL. Thanks...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.claytonracing.com
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

I put a 383 in mine. Everywhere I checked said that you could turn the RPM's a litle higher.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

If you're going to all the trouble to get a stroker built at least get a custom cam designed for one.
Modern lobe designs and the right combination of duration and lift are worth their weight in gold.
You really want ported heads (stock or aftermarket) for the stroker.
Have the Lt4s ported or sell them and use the money to port something else.

There's nothing wrong with ordering a complete longblock from a reputable shop, at least you'll know the combo was designed to work together.
The downside is that you get less control over customization (but that's not always a bad thing).
Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Would you believe I spent last weekend in Rockledge with my aunt and uncle?

You obviously need a LOT of help. You have parts that are mediocre in reality but great for benchracing, and a goal that is a bit outside of reasonable.
I think to get close to your goal is going to cost you more than you expect as well.

What else is done to the car to prepare it for something like this?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your in Brevard go LPM i live in cocoa LPM is the ****!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

And why such a ******** answer? He didnt set his budget and your bashing him? Im on my phone but im pretty sure your the AI nutswinger if i remember right.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did I bash him?
The guy who posted before me also suggested getting different heads and cam which is what I was referring too when I said he had mediocre parts in hand.

I didn't say anything about any vendors whatsoever good or bad so who is the troublemaker here?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

I would go 383 w/ some ported heads your choice LE, AI, or AFR. LE seems to be a little cheaper if cost is a factor. LE or AI can also set you up with a good cam and valvetrain, and help you through or setup your build with you if needed. You are going to need a better clutch if you want the tranny to last awhile and help you launch better. I would also recommend some suspension goodies if you don't already have them (Subframes, sway bars, etc.) there is no need for k-members and what not just the basics. If you are looking at a short or long block I would look at:

http://www.victoryracingengines.com/ - They are preffered by lots of LT1'ers and would be my choice for a engine builder.

http://www.golenengineservice.com/ - They are hit and miss, but Karl Ellwein prefers them as his machine shop and he is a top builder.

http://www.ellweinengines.com/ - Figured I would add him since I mentioned him, I believe he is taking orders again.

This should get you started and on your way. Hope it helps and good luck.

Michael
Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Would you believe I spent last weekend in Rockledge with my aunt and uncle?

You obviously need a LOT of help. You have parts that are mediocre in reality but great for benchracing, and a goal that is a bit outside of reasonable.
I think to get close to your goal is going to cost you more than you expect as well.

What else is done to the car to prepare it for something like this?
And he is here to get get help am I wrong? He wouldn't post here asking if he wasn't looking for help.......Tell him what he needs and what he needs to reach his goals
Old 03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lawhead
And why such a ******** answer? He didnt set his budget and your bashing him? Im on my phone but im pretty sure your the AI nutswinger if i remember right.
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Where did I bash him?
The guy who posted before me also suggested getting different heads and cam which is what I was referring too when I said he had mediocre parts in hand.

I didn't say anything about any vendors whatsoever good or bad so who is the troublemaker here?
It seems my thread has started arguments in other people's threads now. WOW

Old 03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Lawhead, don't waste your time ... Dwayne will just drag you down to his level.
It's not that he doesn't know what he's talking about, it's that he insists on
making sure everyone else knows it and lacks a basic understanding of tact LOL

I do however feel that it is important that the OP understand that he may be
getting in a little over his head on this one. As Dwayne so bluntly pointed out, the
suggestions in his original post are probably not the best options for his situation.
Reading other build treads (here, the racing section and beyond), engine vendor sites
like VRE and Golen as well as time spent leafing through personal websites will help
identify other options available to him. Hopefully, this will help him make an informed
decision so he can achieve the best possible results for his money.

Rsoetidjo, 550-600 at the crank is very doable with a stroker, but you’re
going to need a little more than off-the-shelf parts to make it happen. (Thus my suggestion to see what
some of the builders are putting out). I was looking for similar answers a few years back; I hope these
threads help with ideas for custom builds.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ker-build.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ed-builds.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...uve-found.html

If you keep the big picture and goals in mind, you'll be able to work with a
builder to develop a complete engine package that meets your needs.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn from others' mistakes (and successes); that is exactly why this community exists.
Just ignore the trolls.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I remember "Dwayne" from camaroZ28.com. Very one sided and his way is always best. During my first build I only posted on that site and it seems he always had something bad to say about my build. I was not looking for any crazy numbers just some basic parts for a newbie. Just a total douchebag, and his comments should be ignored or avoided because he has nothing but negative remarks to try and put you down. I am not saying he does not know his stuff, he just has a bad/one sided way to state his opinion.

Like I said:
Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

May I suggest that if you're going with a stroker motor, do what's a little more common just to save you a little frustration and go with a 383 over the 396. The work for the extra 13ci isn't really worth it IMO, plus the 383s are a little easier to wind out. Also, like stated above, your top-end package will need some upgrading to feed the larger motor. LT4 heads can flow some awesome numbers when ported and would feed a stroker without issue, but it would still be in your best interest to start with an aftermarket casting IMO. Any of the companies named above can help you achieve your goals. There is nothing wrong with dropping in a long block either, if I were to do another 383 again, I would order a prepped short block to my specs and throw my top end on it.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see nothing wrong with Dwayne's posts and agree with him 100%. He dishes it out cut and dry, and his advice is accurate. He doesn't beat around the bush, so if you don't like it grow thicker skin and quit whining. And not once did he bash anyone. The parts listed ARE mediocre, and the OP DOES need alot of help.

OP - FWIW, my setup is probably what you're looking for. Click the link or PM me for details if you're interested.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I see nothing wrong with Dwayne's posts and agree with him 100%. He dishes it out cut and dry, and his advice is accurate. He doesn't beat around the bush, so if you don't like it grow thicker skin and quit whining. And not once did he bash anyone. The parts listed ARE mediocre, and the OP DOES need alot of help.

OP - FWIW, my setup is probably what you're looking for. Click the link or PM me for details if you're interested.
Definently not whining and I never said he bashed the OP. I am simply stating what he posted during my first build. I also agree with the parts being mediocre and posted up what I felt was good for the OP in my first post. He was looking for a short or long block and I gave him a few links to get him started. I also gave him a few buisnesses to contact to get him started with heads, intake, valvetrain, and cam. What he does with this info is up to him.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

dude u live in coco beach?? i was down there a copule of weeks ago at my buddys place
Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Teching In

WHere is LPM? tell me more about it. YEs I live in Brevard (Rockledge)
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by REAPER13
I would go 383 w/ some ported heads your choice LE, AI, or AFR. LE seems to be a little cheaper if cost is a factor. LE or AI can also set you up with a good cam and valvetrain, and help you through or setup your build with you if needed. You are going to need a better clutch if you want the tranny to last awhile and help you launch better. I would also recommend some suspension goodies if you don't already have them (Subframes, sway bars, etc.) there is no need for k-members and what not just the basics. If you are looking at a short or long block I would look at:

http://www.victoryracingengines.com/ - They are preffered by lots of LT1'ers and would be my choice for a engine builder.

http://www.golenengineservice.com/ - They are hit and miss, but Karl Ellwein prefers them as his machine shop and he is a top builder.

http://www.ellweinengines.com/ - Figured I would add him since I mentioned him, I believe he is taking orders again.

This should get you started and on your way. Hope it helps and good luck.

Michael
LIke what I said. I have LT4 heads and intake, compcam CC306, roller rockers, 52mmTB, headers,MSD ignition,30lbs injectors, 12 bolts moser rearend, and I'm good on suspension
Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Teching In

men..., Maybe I should wait a little bit longer. My budget is around 5K. I can see now if I want about 600hp I need the long block which is out of my budget. And if I get the short block I'll need different heads. My buddy has 383 with around 600hp in his garage and has been sit for 4-5 years now. Maybe I should get it from him. Hopefully he'll sell it to me with a good price. And I can work around his shop donate of some of the labor.