LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Big problems with my lt1 optispark

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problems with my lt1 optispark

hello i have had some big problems with the optispark iv gone through 2 gm oem optisparks in the past month idk y it keeps eaten them up... is it true if u go past 6000rpm they just take a **** or is it the trubo just working it to hard plz get back to me with some info.

Last edited by fa-Q; 03-28-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

What do you have done to the rest of your ignition? Wires, plugs, or coil?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

I still have a GM opti and have had this one for almost 2 years now. I shift at 6300 rpm's and I have had no problems....so no, it is not true.

This sounds like there is another issue that is burning up your opti.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Launching!

I burned one up on my new motor but I bought a new gm one and put my msd cap and rotor on and haveht had problems. I have about 1k miles on my new opti and I've spun my motor to 7k a few timesand 6500 quite a few times with no problems yet. So far so good (fingers crossed)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have a cam in the car? If you do, check the dow length, also, what coil are you running? Have you checked you ignition control module? Did you loctite the T9 screws inside the opti holding the rotor on?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by glassjaw1704
Do you have a cam in the car? If you do, check the dow length, also, what coil are you running? Have you checked you ignition control module? Did you loctite the T9 screws inside the opti holding the rotor on?
i do have a cam its a custom ground trubo cam and i didnt check the controle module nore lock tight the t9'S
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 95 mystic ls
What do you have done to the rest of your ignition? Wires, plugs, or coil?
I have msd wired stock coil and just some accel plugs
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 AM

when u guys had ur tune done did they move ur rv limiter cuz the dude who did mine left it at 6k and i want to go to like 6500 or 7 is there a way to do it my self
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

What kind of bottom end do you have?? If you are gonna spin to 7K I hope you are forged lmao.

My rev limiter got moved to 6800, but my Mallory Box controls the actual Rev Limiter that I use and it is set at 6500.

You need to make sure on the next install that the Dowel Pin on your cam is the correct length, make sure you line the opti up correctly, Red or Blue Locktite the Rotor Screws on when you put the new rotor on, silicone the Opti Cap when you install to prevent water from getting inside. The stock coil should be fine for your application and this doesnt sound like an ICM issue.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
What kind of bottom end do you have?? If you are gonna spin to 7K I hope you are forged lmao.

My rev limiter got moved to 6800, but my Mallory Box controls the actual Rev Limiter that I use and it is set at 6500.

You need to make sure on the next install that the Dowel Pin on your cam is the correct length, make sure you line the opti up correctly, Red or Blue Locktite the Rotor Screws on when you put the new rotor on, silicone the Opti Cap when you install to prevent water from getting inside. The stock coil should be fine for your application and this doesnt sound like an ICM issue.
ur talking about the dowl pin that goes through the timing gear right???? and how would that keep burning the optispark they r just burning like they just stop working all together cuz wen the last opti took a **** witch is the 1 thats in now i was pined and i wasnt watching the tack and it poped off rev limiter really hard and just shut off kinda hard so i got it home and got in to start seemed all god then went and drove it up the street and it started popen and spitten and like wanting to shut off hard core and it had like no power so i was gussing that the opti just took a **** again now it wont even run

Last edited by fa-Q; 03-29-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

The dowel pin is what TURNS your optispark. It seats into the back of the opti through the timing pulley and it actually turns the rotor. If the dowel pin is not long enough, it may slip out of the groove in the back of the opti and throw your ignition timing WAY off. Also it could tear up the opti and cause it to fail. If your dowel pin is too long, it wont let the opti seat up like it is supposed to and that could do damage as well.

No to disrespect you or anything, but have you actually TESTED the opti's to make sure that it in fact WAS the opti that failed?? You may have another issue in there that is causing it to cut out or have issues and the opti may not be the culprite at all!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM

The dowel pin is what TURNS your optispark. It seats into the back of the opti through the timing pulley and it actually turns the rotor. If the dowel pin is not long enough, it may slip out of the groove in the back of the opti and throw your ignition timing WAY off. Also it could tear up the opti and cause it to fail. If your dowel pin is too long, it wont let the opti seat up like it is supposed to and that could do damage as well.

No to disrespect you or anything, but have you actually TESTED the opti's to make sure that it in fact WAS the opti that failed?? You may have another issue in there that is causing it to cut out or have issues and the opti may not be the culprite at all!
how do u test the optispark??
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Im watching.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Intermittent DTC 36 optispark hi res failure

If DTC 36, hi res failure, and CEL are set, does that mean opti is done for or about to crap out?

At the first event the car stumbled, set code and continued running in stop and go traffic. Second event the car stalled, luckily not on freeway at 70 mph! After both events, car starts fine, CEL gone, and runs fine, and 36 becomes a history code which I have cleared.

The two events happened twice, about 300 miles apart. The opti was replaced about 10 k ago, it was a top street performance unit. Harness was also new and vent/vacuum appears to be operating properly. So bottom line, is the opti going for sure? Thanks Roger
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

are you sure that the water pump is sealed good it very common for that to be a problem causing the opti to go bad so quick
Old 06-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Sorry to revive an old thread... I am on my 4th Opti scince doing my cam (CompCams). How long is the dowel pin supposed togo in to the opti?

Quick Reply: Big problems with my lt1 optispark