LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with idling noise after plug change

Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with idling noise after plug change

Hey guys just finished my first 7 hour plug change on the LT1, hopefully the video will work, but can anyone guess at what this chirp is, you can hear it every half a second. I couldnt say that it did this before but i dont believe this is right. I towed the car to my house in fear of a head gasket leak but oil was good. Please let me know

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...raul/video.gif

Last edited by GMC5.3; 04-03-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: video didnt show
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

damn it took you 7 hours to change the plugs?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did u loose any thing else while u change the plug ?
did u tight the plug down good ?
how the Idle like ?

Im afaird one plug is not tight enought, or loosing.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97REaper
damn it took you 7 hours to change the plugs?
Hey im a newb ok, but thanks for posting lol,

Can anyone else comment on this noise, i sure dont wanna play with those plugs again, ive read it could be the idler pulley?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and also when i started the car and revved it a little it popped some, any idea on this
Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

wat plug did u use and wat gap did u gap at ? wat reason that make u change the plug, and if this happent after ONLY plug change, then I do recomment go back and check the plug.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killagt
wat plug did u use and wat gap did u gap at ? wat reason that make u change the plug, and if this happent after ONLY plug change, then I do recomment go back and check the plug.
NGK TR55, gapped at .50, Reason - car had been sitting for about a year and was throwing a p0300 code when i got it from my brother in law, only started it once and didnt notice the chirp but at the time car blew white smoke so we shut it off right away.

If it were plugs would or wires that are causing this noise, would i be able to see an arc at night
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
NGK TR55, gapped at .50, Reason - car had been sitting for about a year and was throwing a p0300 code when i got it from my brother in law, only started it once and didnt notice the chirp but at the time car blew white smoke so we shut it off right away.

If it were plugs would or wires that are causing this noise, would i be able to see an arc at night
header leak ? any smoke coming from engine ? is car still blow white smoke ? I dont think the problem is from changing the plug.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

it really is a weird noise, but id go double check the plugs and make sure the wires are all on tight and in the right order. Also just because the oil is good doesnt mean the head gasket is not bad. it wont always be losing oil when a head gasket is bad, if its blowing white smoke then most likely its a bad headgasket losing coolant into the cylinder hints the white smoke.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
it really is a weird noise, but id go double check the plugs and make sure the wires are all on tight and in the right order. Also just because the oil is good doesnt mean the head gasket is not bad. it wont always be losing oil when a head gasket is bad, if its blowing white smoke then most likely its a bad headgasket losing coolant into the cylinder hints the white smoke.
Ok well i played and played with the #2 plug, just didnt seem like it threaded all the way, long story short threaded it pluged it, still chirped, went around the block and coolant thru the pipes, So with that said what head gasket is best for a stock car, ive read that people buy Felpro 1074 if thats the case do i have to get new head bolts? Can someone kinda take me by the hand and tell me which ones to get.. Thanks alot guys
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok well i played and played with the #2 plug, just didnt seem like it threaded all the way, long story short threaded it pluged it, still chirped, went around the block and coolant thru the pipes, So with that said what head gasket is best for a stock car, ive read that people buy Felpro 1074 if thats the case do i have to get new head bolts? Can someone kinda take me by the hand and tell me which ones to get.. Thanks alot guys
felpro is good, as long as you dont break a head bolt the stocks will be fine just clean them up real nice before putting them in and you need a torque paste for the bolts to sorry i cant think of the exact name or brand but someone will know
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

that noise sounds like metal hitting metal almost like a rod knock. try listening for it and when u get close take a screw driver and put it on whatever u think it is, if u can i knowthere is no room but im u do that and put your ear on the handle of the screw driver it can give i a good indication if something is wrong.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LigHtEmUp01
that noise sounds like metal hitting metal almost like a rod knock. try listening for it and when u get close take a screw driver and put it on whatever u think it is, if u can i knowthere is no room but im u do that and put your ear on the handle of the screw driver it can give i a good indication if something is wrong.
Funny that you said this because i noticed yesterday as i was playing with the #2 plug that there is a bracket of some sort attached to the back of the alternator that is just hanging down?

What would be the level of difficulty to replace the head gasket? Should i use a special type of sealant for the gasket? Does anything need to go on the bolts when i tighten them back in?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
Im afaird one plug is not tight enought, or loosing.
Sound quality is horrid, but if I were to guess if this happened only after you changed plugs then the above is most likely the reason. Go through all your plugs again to make sure they are tight. That means LOOSEN them first and then retorque them.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Please do not resuse stock bolts, its cheap insurance not to, as far as head gaskets the felpros work well for a stock replacement.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Village Troll

Dude has a tick only after plugs have been changed and a blown head gasket is being considered? Wow...
While you're at it, blame the opti too...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Sound quality is horrid, but if I were to guess if this happened only after you changed plugs then the above is most likely the reason. Go through all your plugs again to make sure they are tight. That means LOOSEN them first and then retorque them.
I just threw up a bit on your pix.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you read all of the post's?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude has a tick only after plugs have been changed and a blown head gasket is being considered? Wow...
While you're at it, blame the opti too...
You know that will be my next problem after this is covered, Im looking to get the head gasket, water pump, and a new belt,

Is a head gasket do-able in a day, i was just told it wasnt?

Also anyone know of a part number for these ARP bolts?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Village Troll

If the car is backfiring then double/triple/doubledogdare check the routing of your plug wires. It sounds suspiciously like you have one mixed up. Also, take the accessory belt off and start it back up to see if any noises go away.

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
did you read all of the post's?
Skimmed them. Read more carefully and I still think it's ridiculous to say it may be a head gasket. Perhaps a better question is whether or not coolant is being consumed, or after removing the plugs if there are one or more that look "cleaner" than the others. BTW... when a head gasket goes oil is never lost. There is no oil transferred through the head gasket. Oil cannot get into the cooling system via blown head gasket.

You know that will be my next problem after this is covered, Im looking to get the head gasket, water pump, and a new belt,

Is a head gasket do-able in a day, i was just told it wasnt?

Also anyone know of a part number for these ARP bolts?
Unless you are experienced in swapping head gaskets then no, it is not possible to have done in a day. More like two to three days... It's always suggested to replace both head gaskets. It would suck to replace one and the other go out shortly thereafter.
ARP bolts that you can use:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-134-3601/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with idling noise after plug change