LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with idling noise after plug change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
So to do this headgasket, is this all the stuff i will be needing? I was under the impression that i just needed to get gaskets, sealant, and have lots of time. Let me know, thanks

Found this on Thunder Racing,

LT1 Cylinder Head Swap Gasket Package includes: GM Cylinder Head Gaskets, GM Intake Manifold Gaskets, FelPro Header Gaskets, GM EGR Gaskets, GM Valve Cover Gaskets, GM Throttle Body Gasket, GM Cylinder Head to Coolant Tube Gaskets
That seems to be pretty inclusive. If you're wondering about the gaskets above and beyond the head gaskets, it's because A) you have to remove the valve covers to loosen the rocker arms, swing them aside, and remove the pushrods, as well as remove a bunch of head bolts; B) unbolt the throttle body from the intake, leaving the throttle and cruise control cables attached, and set on the left fenderwell; C) disconnect the EGR tube from the back of the intake manifold; D) remove the intake manifold; E) disconnect the coolant transfer tube; F) and finally remove each cylinder head. There's a gasket that will need to be replaced, at ALL of those interfaces.

You'll also need a couple of those funky "fuel line clip" release tools.....
Old 04-09-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey OP, care to elaborate on my comment? i saw your video on here and didnt even see the bracket holding the alt....
Old 04-09-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 918_ws6
hey OP, care to elaborate on my comment? i saw your video on here and didnt even see the bracket holding the alt....
Ill see if i can get video of this tomorrow, its been pretty shitty these past few days with lots of wind and dust
Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 PM

thats cool. im just asking if theres a bracket actually "hanging; as you put it. there are 3 bolts total that hold it, 2 in the rear of the alt, and one that bolts to the IM bolt... if its not tightened down and just "hanging" there, its going to be off...maybe this is the noise youre hearing. jsut saying
Old 04-10-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Video of the bracket that is loose, any info i appreciate

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xbRbjJIwWg?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xbRbjJIwWg?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbRbjJIwWg
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 PM

cant tell what youre grabbing in the video, lol. but your alt bracket is there and on
Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

The bracket that you're grabbing is supposed to attach to the "stud" portion of the first bolt on the exhaust manifold....
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for that, would i have to order that?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for that, would i have to order that?
Do you mean the stud? It's just one of those "bolts" that look like they have a hex nut in the middle, and thread on both ends. One end goes through the exhaust manifold, and threads into the cylinder head. The other end has the alternator bracket pass over it, then a hex nut secures the bracket. Are you positive it's not there, and just the nut is missing?

If it's not there, a lot of parts stores carry an assortment of these studs. If I remember correctly, the thread is 3/8-16....

Wait a minute, you have headers, don't you? In that case you'll need to get one of those studs, then make a short spacer out of a black iron pipe nipple, to get the thing in the proper place to attach the alternator bracket. Cut the nipple to length, so it, and the thickness of the header flange, are roughly the thickness of the OE exhaust manifold. Put the nipple over the stud, then thread it through the header flange and into the head and tighten. If your measurement is corect, the other end of the stud should now be in the proper place for the alternator support to slip in place.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 04-11-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Do you mean the stud? It's just one of those "bolts" that look like they have a hex nut in the middle, and thread on both ends. One end goes through the exhaust manifold, and threads into the cylinder head. The other end has the alternator bracket pass over it, then a hex nut secures the bracket. Are you positive it's not there, and just the nut is missing?

If it's not there, a lot of parts stores carry an assortment of these studs. If I remember correctly, the thread is 3/8-16....

Wait a minute, you have headers, don't you? In that case you'll need to get one of those studs, then make a short spacer out of a black iron pipe nipple, to get the thing in the proper place to attach the alternator bracket. Cut the nipple to length, so it, and the thickness of the header flange, are roughly the thickness of the OE exhaust manifold. Put the nipple over the stud, then thread it through the header flange and into the head and tighten. If your measurement is corect, the other end of the stud should now be in the proper place for the alternator support to slip in place.
You know i was told it had shortie headers, but when changing the plugs it looks to me like it has the stock exhaust mainfolds on (had that damn metal piece surrounding it, which made it a b**** to change the plugs. Thanks for that info though.

Second question, when i drained and refilled the radiatior, (keep in mind the car was completely cold) i went to start the car with radiator cap off , as i started the car i could see a hug burst of coolant shoot up from the radiator. With this said could i perhaps have a hose misplaced, or am i just an idiot for having done that?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

.......Second question, when i drained and refilled the radiatior, (keep in mind the car was completely cold) i went to start the car with radiator cap off , as i started the car i could see a hug burst of coolant shoot up from the radiator. With this said could i perhaps have a hose misplaced, or am i just an idiot for having done that?

Do you still have an OE heater hose assembly on it? If so, there are a couple of "air bleeds" in the hoses, and you use them to "burp" the air out. It can take a while, but if you don't get all the air out, you'll have overheating issues.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Do you still have an OE heater hose assembly on it? If so, there are a couple of "air bleeds" in the hoses, and you use them to "burp" the air out. It can take a while, but if you don't get all the air out, you'll have overheating issues.
You know i had those open as i refilled the radiator, and left them open along with the radiator cap when i had my burst, then i went back and put the cap on, went to start the car and i saw water spray from the bleeder screws. Car never overheated when we took it for a spin and saw all the white smoke, the low coolant lamp was on the whole time though

Quick Reply: Help with idling noise after plug change