LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 possible opti not sure sputter help READ plz thanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa_97_SS
^^^^ agreed, that blows. When you do replace the opti, be sure to seal it. Many don't, and a short while later a bit of water will ruin their barnd new opti.

And of course, check out and fix your water pump leak..hopefully its just a bad seal and not the housing. Wouldnt want that same leak to ruin your new opti.
Coolant in the opti does not necessarily mean it will go bad. Are you positive the opti you changed which was exposed to coolant went bad? Did you dry it out and try to start the engine again? Reason I'm asking is because I had this same problem for weeks where the car would start stumbling once warmed up. Finally found a trickle of coolant on the crank pulley, looked up and saw coolant coming out of the weep hole. Took opti off and let it sit in the sun for a few days, put it back on and it was money.
I cringe at how many good optis have been thrown away from this same situation.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its gotten to the point where it takes two minutes to start sputtering. W/e it is is getting worse. Hopefullly it holds out for today so I can start the dissasembly tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have a write up or ideas how to seal the opti?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MuddyBird
I've been thinking that but everything is always opti on these cars so I didn't bother, I think ill scan it today for codes.
Ahhh, you have fallen victim to misinformation on the interwebs!

Does anyone have a write up or ideas how to seal the opti?
By yours truly: http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...emove-replace/
Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Im z28phil from sffba lol thanks again... thisll help like a ****.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well guys, turns out my water pump was flooding my opti with water. I replaced them both, problem solved. Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Did some more looking today, noticed the water pump located directly above the opti, has a leak. So I'm almost certain its the opti now. I checked for codes and nothing came up. Friday if it makes it till Friday I'm gonna do the opti swap. Its my personal first time attempting this myself so if anyone knows any good sticky's or write ups for it post up links. Thanks.
congrats
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Awesome dude! Sucks that it wasn't something less expensive, but atleast you got it fixed. On the bright side, you now have a new water pump and Opti which can be crossed off the to do list.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Did some more looking today, noticed the water pump located directly above the opti, has a leak. So I'm almost certain its the opti now. I checked for codes and nothing came up. Friday if it makes it till Friday I'm gonna do the opti swap. Its my personal first time attempting this myself so if anyone knows any good sticky's or write ups for it post up links. Thanks.
It's not a bad job at all of you know what your doin just take out the radiator and you will have tons of room and when putting it back make shure to clean and degrease Make sure the water pump has a good seal o changed mine 3 days ago and it was cake just don't get in a hurry

Quick Reply: lt1 possible opti not sure sputter help READ plz thanks