LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil in pcv line

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in pcv line

I have about 4000 miles on my rebuild and the car uses some oil. I don't notice it but I see slight smoke on wot and worse on hard decel. I thought maybe I didn't break it in properly or maybe bad valve seals since the heads were used. I pulled the intake manifold to take care of a leak on the back side where it meets the block. I noticed the intake runners, back of the throttle body and the intake ports on the heads had oil film as well as the pcv line was fully of oil. I don't recall it doing this with the stock engine. Any other problems I should look for, or just add a catch can?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

catch can should take care of it... but clean off the oil first... then add the can, that way if it does it again, you can see where its coming from. Hopefully its not your rings, but i doubt it..
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I thought about maybe bad rings were causing blowby forcing oil out the pcv. But then I would think the breather on the other valve cover would have oil coming out too, but that one is clean as new. I haven't done a compression or leakdown test yet.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact same problem and thought it was blowby. I put a catch can on the PCV line and all is well.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm using a air compressor "water separator" as a catch can and it works perfectly , very small and 100% fonctionnal.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I had the exact same problem and thought it was blowby. I put a catch can on the PCV line and all is well.
+1 - I only had mine coming out of PCV line and the passide tube/vent is clean as a whisle. I ordered the CatchCan from WS6Store and am installing it today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am having a similar problem too. I put a catch can in it and it seems to be working for now. I haven't had a lot of time lately to look into the real cause on mine Keep us updated on this and let us know what you find. Thanks Adam
Old 04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mpcv2000
I'm using a air compressor "water separator" as a catch can and it works perfectly , very small and 100% fonctionnal.
That is exactly what I was going to do. Should work fine unless I fill it up alot. I'm surprised and somewhat relieved I'm not the only one with this issue.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Installed mine last night and it went very smooth and easy. I'll post up some pics later today once I get back to the house and can snap some. Obviously I can't say if I notice any oil yet as I havn't driven the car yet
Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteHot
Should work fine unless I fill it up alot..

Since I installed it ( last year ) , no more oil in my intake , no blue smoke and I never drained it , it never went higher then what it has in it right now .
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I need/want one too.

Where did you guys get your catch can/oil separator? I remember reading about guys who bought theirs from home depot for like $9…

Also, where did you guys place your catch can? I’m looking at my engine and would like to place it pretty much where the metal PCV line bends 90 degrees and then joins to the black rubber/plastic 90 degree elbow which connects to the intake vacuum. But I don’t see a whole lot of room there to place any catch can or even tiny oil separator. I’m not too interested in running tubing all around my engine bay like some guys have done.

Who’s got pics, part numbers, and details???
I'll post up pics tonight, but I went the pricy route and bought the LS1 CatchCan setup by Norris from WS6store. Here is a link:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...0a77b693dfc3dc

It's not cheap but it is very high quality and looks great mounted up. I mounted it to the stud where the ground strap and ICM bolts to the driverside head and works like a charm and looks good too. I'll post up some pics tonight when I get back to my car.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I don't really know about you guys, but I have a bunch of room on the passenger side head just like mpcv2000(well we practically have the same car) so that's where I'm going to put mine.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I have my intake off right now and I was looking how the oil gets into the sheet metal pan that is screwed onto the bootom of the manifold. Obviously its the oil being captured by this pan thats making it into the PCV line.

I believe the oil is splashed up onto the bottom of the intake and it seeps into the pan all around the perimeter as opposed to all entering the pan through those 3 small drain holes.

I am thinking about RTV'n that pan on as to not allow the oil to seep into the pan on its upper perimeter. This should greatly minimize the oil getting into the pan.

Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

As promised:

Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Where did you guys get your oil separator?
I remember reading about guys who bought theirs from home depot for like $9…

Exactly what I did.

Originally Posted by WhiteHot
I don't really know about you guys, but I have a bunch of room on the passenger side head just like mpcv2000(well we practically have the same car) so that's where I'm going to put mine.

Hey what's up ?

Car's running good ?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so that basically replaces the hard metal line right?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
so that basically replaces the hard metal line right?
Correct, it goes where the metal line runs from the PCV valve to teh front of the intake and is installed inbetween these two to catch oil getting sucked into the PCV system.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Launching!

I have my intake off right now and I was looking how the oil gets into the sheet metal pan that is screwed onto the bootom of the manifold. Obviously its the oil being captured by this pan thats making it into the PCV line.

I believe the oil is splashed up onto the bottom of the intake and it seeps into the pan all around the perimeter as opposed to all entering the pan through those 3 small drain holes.

I am thinking about RTV'n that pan on as to not allow the oil to seep into the pan on its upper perimeter. This should greatly minimize the oil getting into the pan.

Thoughts?

I pulled my intake last weekend to take care of the usual leaks. When I pulled the intake I was surprised at how much oil was under that pan..

I didn't put any RTV on it but let me know how that works for ya...

I'll be installing a catch can tomorrow - but I'm too embarrassed to post pics of my dirty engine bay haha.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I RTV'd the pan on last night but it will be a while before I can tell. Sure makes sense that it should help keep some of the oil out of the pan.

I also noticed last night that I have a generous amount of light surface rust on all of my Pro-mag roller rockers. Never saw this before the catch can. I know the catch can has collected oil and moisture in it and its about 25% full.

Can this collected moisture in the catch can introduce itself into the block and cause this rust on my rockers?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I RTV'd the pan on last night but it will be a while before I can tell. Sure makes sense that it should help keep some of the oil out of the pan.

I also noticed last night that I have a generous amount of light surface rust on all of my Pro-mag roller rockers. Never saw this before the catch can. I know the catch can has collected oil and moisture in it and its about 25% full.

Can this collected moisture in the catch can introduce itself into the block and cause this rust on my rockers?
Great idea about the RTV but I don't think I would have put RTV on the underside of the intake. Over time oil will loosen up that RTV and I wouldn't want chucks of RTV falling in my lifer valley and risk clogging oil passages. Just my .02. Good luck and if you have any pics of your RTV job I'd love to see it to get an idea of exactly where you put the RTV.

Quick Reply: oil in pcv line